UBS survey finds 10% of consumers want a smartwatch, expects 24M Apple Watch sales in fiscal 2015

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    pazuzu wrote: »

Yup.
    Unless you ignorantly use it exclusively to just tell time.

And if I want to make payments, listen to music, and record biometrics whilst out exercising or at work or lunch? Don't fucking tell me you're still trying to spread that lie that it requires an iPhone tether to actively engage in all of those.
  • Reply 42 of 70

I'm definitely getting Apple Watch.  I recently purchased a new Pebble watch because it was ridiculously cheap and I needed a watch for the next few months until Apple Watch comes out.

While I don't think smartwatches are for everybody. I definitely see how useful they are.  I'm loving my Pebble, but I know that Apple Watch will be a HUGE improvement over that (like comparing a Palm Pilot to an iPhone 6).

• Reply 43 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I love these analysis, 10% (BTW that is not a good number, that is a lot closer to 0 than 100) of the people said they are interested in the watch and that turns into 25M for a year. Which 10% of the 7B on plant earth are they talking about.

They can come up with what ever number that like since they will never be proven right or wrong since we all know Apple has no plans to release the numbers.

Not only that, no actual pricing has been announced other than the lowest being around $300-something. The questions and the estimates are fatally flawed.

• Reply 44 of 70
    I'm a loser, since I'm in these 10% of deluded people :)
  • Reply 45 of 70
    My iPhone6+ is my pocketed portable device.
    My iPad is for use in the lounge (and the AppleTV).
    My MacBook is my powerful portable for use at a table or desk at home, office or coffee shop.
    My iMac is my non-portable for use in my office.
    My Apple Watch will be primarily for when I'm in the dojo, or out running.
    It will also reduce the number of times my iPhone needs to leave my pocket when walking, shopping, communicating while out and about etc.
    Different devices for different situations/locations, right tool for the job.
  • Reply 46 of 70
    solipsismy wrote: »
    because it is totally tethered to the iPhone.

Nope.
    which is why GPS is crucial for fitness.

Nope.

Yep.
  • Reply 47 of 70
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Yep.

Right, I mean without an iPhone it would seem kind of a meaningless gadget. I'm still not convinced that SmartWatches are they way of the future anyway. Personally I just couldn't wear something that millions of other people are as well, a watch to me is still jewellery and needs to be at least a little exclusive, even if it does have more functions than just telling time. Until such time that the SmartWatch is completely ambiguous, merged into a mechanical watch like a Rolex or Omega, I'm not interested. It needs another few years, I would also bet money on people loosing interest after a month or so of ownership, especially with the battery life being as it is, it's going to get old real quick. Wireless charging would have helped alleviate this a little. I do understand their usage for sports and medicine but than I would prefer to own one that is specfic to that task, also lighter, thinner and not to mention less expensive.
  • Reply 48 of 70
    relic wrote: »
    Yep.

Right, I mean without an iPhone it would seem kind of a meaningless gadget. I'm still not convinced that SmartWatches are they way of the future anyway. Personally I just couldn't wear something that millions of other people are as well, a watch to me is still jewellery and needs to be at least a little exclusive, even if it does have more functions than just telling time. Until such time that the SmartWatch is completely ambiguous, merged into a mechanical watch like a Rolex or Omega, I'm not interested. It needs another few years, I would also bet money on people loosing interest after a month or so of ownership, especially with the battery life being as it is, it's going to get old real quick. Wireless charging would have helped alleviate this a little. I do understand their usage for sports and medicine but than I would prefer to own one that is specfic to that task, also lighter, thinner and not to mention less expensive.

I just don't want to wear something with a screen on me.

How are you doing? Are you still ensconced in hospital? It's getting cold in London. I remember when I was in hospital, I felt the cold a lot. Hope they stretch to heating in those Swiss mountains.
  • Reply 49 of 70
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member

The survey would be slightly more convincing if it were 9.58% instead of an even 10%.

Personally, I'll be sitting on the sidelines with this one while I have been pretty much a day one adopter with all the other first edition Apple gear. Original iPhone, iPad 1, iPad mini 1, MBP retina 1, etc.

• Reply 50 of 70
    This is why I agree with the folks who say the 5.5" iPhone is the true new iPhone, the one where Apple's going to focus. Yes, it's unwieldy for one handed use...but what if you didn't really have to use it because all your interactions were through the Watch?

Sooooo...if this is leading to all your interactions are through the watch, why would you need a big screen on the phone?
  • Reply 51 of 70
    volcan wrote: »
    The survey would be slightly more convincing if it were 9.58% instead of an even 10%.

No. Click this, and arm yourself with knowledge:
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_precision
  • Reply 52 of 70
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

No. Click this, and arm yourself with knowledge:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_precision

I clicked it, but it took me here. I guess that’s close enough. ;)

• Reply 53 of 70
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Your needs sound like a good solution for Apple iPhone sports enthusiasts. Well as long as you don't take the ?Watch off while you're away from your iPhone, which might be how the ?Watch is authorized to use ?Pay (in which case you don't want to leave your iPhone too far behind). For anyone who doesn't already have an iPhone, I doubt it's going to motivate them to buy one. Except for ?Pay, you could buy almost any smart watch out there to do what you want. And that's where Apple's going to have trouble getting the presumed market for smart watches to jump onboard if they are not already Apple iPhone users. This is one of the reasons I say Apple should make the iPad compatible with ?Watch and ?Pay as well, and who knows maybe they will after the initial launch goes smoothly. I also expect the number of Apple iPhone uses to have a much greater adoption rate of the ?Watch than the general population, so these analysts are actually underestimating the demand in my opinion. I doubt Apple will get as high a percentage from the general population that has less expensive alternatives for needs as basic as yours, as well as many "cheap" iPhone users. That may change with ?Watch 2.0 after all merchants support contactless payments, and Apple updates the features, and developers find innovative ways to use the watch as a stand-alone product, or an indispensable app that works with the iPhone. 

And PS, you're applying your anecdotal needs for a sports watch to the entire population without any consideration for need, nor the alternatives. I can give you the same statistics, I know dozens of people who are NOT interested in tracking their movements all day. And of those who do, they would rather spend less money than the the ?Watch is going to cost. But I'm not going to apply that to everyone. You don't want a WATCH. You want a fitness tracker with some extra features. That's not the same thing as someone who doesn't wear a watch and isn't contemplating wearing some kind of device to do something a watch does not do. So I stick by my comment, people who do not wear watches, are not likely to consider buying the ?Watch as long as they have to carry their iPhone to use it, especially if they don't already own an iPhone. If they were already considering wearing some kind of fitness device which doesn't require their iPhone to use it, then YES, they just might consider an ?Watch.

you could have used far fewer words to sum up that nonsense.

as for Apple pay, why would I take my watch off during a jog? that's really grasping at straws.

it's rich that you make a blanket statement, then chastise my statements. get real.

again -- I don't wear a watch, and i want the features AW offers, and I prefer the iOS ecosystem because it offers additional value. eat it.
  • Reply 54 of 70
    Exactly where do you shop while you jog? Curious.
    I know people hand out oranges and water during marathons but never heard of this activity.

try going on a jog one day and you'll figure it out.
  • Reply 55 of 70
    hillstones wrote: »
    They do not operate independently of an iPhone.  An iPhone is REQUIRED to make the watch function.  You can't do much with it without the iPhone.  The Watch SDK has confirmed this.  The iPhone's SoC executes the majority of the code and the watch is just a UI.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/11/apple-releases-watchkit-developer-tools-alongside-first-ios-8-2-beta/

smarty - you're conflating third party apps and baked in functionality. dur dur.

I know this hurts you -- but a nearby phone is not required to track activity, play music, or use apple pay.
  • Reply 56 of 70

It’s not a question of tracking routes; It’s a question of accuracy, which you will only achieve with GPS, which is why GPS is crucial for fitness.

crucial? or what, my coach fires me from the track team? get real, we're casual users, not professional athletes. a pedometer has been just fine for decades and will continue to be fine.

troll harder, boys! and get off your butts some day before you preach about how trackers need to work.
  • Reply 57 of 70
    aderutter wrote: »
    My iPhone6+ is my pocketed portable device.
    My iPad is for use in the lounge (and the AppleTV).
    My MacBook is my powerful portable for use at a table or desk at home, office or coffee shop.
    My iMac is my non-portable for use in my office.
    My Apple Watch will be primarily for when I'm in the dojo, or out running.
    It will also reduce the number of times my iPhone needs to leave my pocket when walking, shopping, communicating while out and about etc.
    Different devices for different situations/locations, right tool for the job.

Dojo?

Aikido?
    Iaijutsu?
    Judo?
    Jujutsu?
    Karate?
    Kyujutsu?
  • Reply 58 of 70
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member

apple watch will kill. They 've done a great job at it Jony and co. 

• Reply 59 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

And the iPhone isn't dependent on a Mac. That's not trolling- that's a FACT.

The fact is that the iPhone did depend on a Mac (or PC) when it came out. It took a few iterations before the iPhone completely cut the cord (besides the power cord).

The Watch could follow a similar trajectory, but right now Apple is enhancing/ augmenting the functioning of the iPhone with the Watch. It boils down to an accessory for the iPhone but trust Apple to give it so much of thought.

And we get it. You think the Watch is a bad idea. Please let the rest of us continue with our discussions.

We all know what you want and that is not the Watch as it currently stands.

• Reply 60 of 70
    The fact is that the iPhone did depend on a Mac (or PC) when it came out. It took a few iterations before the iPhone completely cut the cord (besides the power cord).

The Watch could follow a similar trajectory, but right now Apple is enhancing/ augmenting the functioning of the iPhone with the Watch. It boils down to an accessory for the iPhone but trust Apple to give it so much of thought.

And we get it. You think the Watch is a bad idea. Please let the rest of us continue with our discussions.
    We all know what you want and that is not the Watch as it currently stands.

More than a few. OTA wasn't introduced until iOS 5, but even now you edit your music and videos on iDevice or via iCloud. You need to use iTunes, not to mention that there is no low-level boot (like Mac OS X's EFI boot) that will install a simple OS that will DL and install the latest iOS build if you need to do a Restore. You need a traditional PC with iTunes (or Xcode).