Apple sends rare push notification ad promoting App Store's (RED) campaign

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2019
Apple on Monday sent out a rare self-promoting iOS push notification regarding the iOS App Store's (RED) campaign to help fight AIDS, though the unsolicited message turned out to be a cause of concern for certain users.

As seen in the screenshot above, Apple pushed out a rather innocuous notification that read, "Get great apps and help (RED) fight AIDS," which linked to a corresponding App Store landing page featuring (RED)-themed content.

The notification caused a small kerfuffle as it plainly contradicted Apple's own developer guidelines, which state push notifications are not to be used for advertisements of any kind. Critics say the notification's content is not in question, but instead that Apple perhaps crossed a line by taking advantage of a tool customers agree to use in good faith. Others argued Apple's push was of no real concern as it promoted a good cause.

Apple, a longtime partner of Bono's PROJECT(RED) initiative to end the propagation of HIV/AIDS in Africa, announced a fundraising campaign last week created in partnership with top app developers. From Nov. 24 through Dec. 7, a number of popular apps, including first-party titles like GarageBand are offering exclusive in-app content to raise money for (RED)'s global fund.

In addition to the App Store campaign, Apple also gave out iTunes gift cards with select hardware purchases on Black Friday, with each card representing an additional donation to (RED), and will donate to (RED) a portion of all Apple Store retail sales taken in today, Cyber Monday.

Earlier today, Apple Stores around the world changed the color of their iconic logos to red in honor of World AIDS Day.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    The problem is that doing this push notification over (Red) fundraising is a bit too culturally Appleish. Apple seems to live in an affluent, coastal California bubble with little outside contact.

Almost everyone who got that notification could point to a cause that they feel is in more desperate need of money than (Red) one that long been fashionable among the upscale to super-rich (i.e. Bono). What's Apple going to do about their wishes? Deny them, and they offend. Follow them and they flood us with messages.

And it's not like we haven't heard about the (Red) fundraising. I seem to recall several emails from Apple about it along with numerous stories on Mac websites. Notifications like these shouldn't be used to follow up what we have already heard from other sources. If we want to do something, we'll do it. If not, leave us alone.

A better criteria for push notifications might be to limit them to rare situations where an large response is needed in a short time, meaning from minutes to a few hours. Longer than that, and other means will serve as well or better.

--Michael W. Perry, co-author of Lily's Ride
  • Reply 2 of 18
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Quote:
     The notification caused a small kerfuffle as it plainly contradicted Apple's own developer guidelines, which state push notifications are not to be used for advertisements of any kind.

But it's OK now because Tim Cook is gay (whatever 'gay' means). Personally I think it's odd that AIDS is associated with homosexual sex seeing as it's predominantly a heterosexual disease at its place of origin.

• Reply 3 of 18
    AAPL was quite in red today too;)
  • Reply 4 of 18
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

But it's OK now because Tim Cook is gay (whatever 'gay' means). Personally I think it's odd that AIDS is associated with homosexual sex seeing as it's predominantly a heterosexual disease at its place of origin.

You don't know what gay means?:err:

And AIDS is associated with homosexuals, because they make up the majority of people infected with HIV in the US.

I'm not even on that list. I guess that I have nothing to worry about, and I also have notifications turned off for the app store, so I didn't get this AIDS RED notification from Apple.

• Reply 5 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gimarbazat View Post

AAPL was quite in red today too;)

The whole damn market was in the red today, and plenty of stocks were down more than AAPL.

• Reply 6 of 18
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    Alas, that is the price Apple have to pay for being the most valuable company in the world, everything it did and didn't do would be scrutinized. I would just suggest Apple follows its late cofounder SJ's suggestion: do whatever its heart points to and everything else would just fall in line. Love the cause and love what Apple is doing in this rare occasion.
  • Reply 7 of 18

• Reply 8 of 18
    Yup. Educate young minds the way we build roads. Contract to the low bidder regardless of materials quality.
  • Reply 9 of 18

People have been saying that there are "more deserving" causes than AIDS, and yet the research that has come out of it has predictably benefited many different areas of medicine.

Now it's not polite to say why AIDS is an undeserving cause, but it feels like that original sentiment is still there.

• Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

Whatever "gay" means?   Oh, you're one of THOSE.

It's people like you that associated it with gays, and those old prejudices die hard.  Project RED is about stopping AIDS globally.

You're the one who brought up Tim Cook's sexuality in this conversation.  Why?

• Reply 11 of 18

One notice about an AIDS charity and reminding you that Apple will contribute based on your purchases.

On World AIDS Day.

On Cyber Monday.

• Reply 12 of 18

And Project RED has been a favorite of Apple's for a very long time.

• Reply 13 of 18
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I have App Store notifications set to do not include yet I stil got this. I hope this isn't a new trend with Apple. I didn't want the U2 album (it should have been opt in not opt out) and I don't want push notifications I don't ask for.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    inkling wrote: »
    The problem is that doing this push notification over (Red) fundraising is a bit too culturally Appleish. Apple seems to live in an affluent, coastal California bubble with little outside contact.

Almost everyone who got that notification could point to a cause that they feel is in more desperate need of money than (Red) one that long been fashionable among the upscale to super-rich (i.e. Bono). What's Apple going to do about their wishes? Deny them, and they offend. Follow them and they flood us with messages.

And it's not like we haven't heard about the (Red) fundraising. I seem to recall several emails from Apple about it along with numerous stories on Mac websites. Notifications like these shouldn't be used to follow up what we have already heard from other sources. If we want to do something, we'll do it. If not, leave us alone.

A better criteria for push notifications might be to limit them to rare situations where an large response is needed in a short time, meaning from minutes to a few hours. Longer than that, and other means will serve as well or better.

--Michael W. Perry, co-author of Lily's Ride

Yes I received two emails from Apple about RED in addition to yesterday's push notifications. In the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal I just hope it's not a new trend. That U2 album push was a PR disaster that wasn't necessary. If Apple wants to offer a free album fine, but don't push it to everyone's device (many of whom have automatic downloads turned on) so it looks like they purchased something they didn't. And sending out one email about RED (along with highlighting it on the AppStore or apple.com) is fine but push notifications (especially when they go against developer guidelines) is not right.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    What's the big deal? I ignore Push Notifications all the time. This was no different.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    What's the big deal? I ignore Push Notifications all the time. This was no different.

Why should we have to, especially when it's set to do not include in settings? Apparently that doesn't apply to Apple marketing. Btw, this is included in the App Store guidelines:

5.5: Apps that use Push Notifications to send unsolicited messages, or for the purpose of phishing or spamming will be rejected

5.6: Apps cannot use Push Notifications to send advertising, promotions, or direct marketing of any kind
  • Reply 17 of 18
    rogifan wrote: »
    I have App Store notifications set to do not include yet I stil got this. I hope this isn't a new trend with Apple. I didn't want the U2 album (it should have been opt in not opt out) and I don't want push notifications I don't ask for.

I tend to agree. Even Apple should not violate their own rules.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I tend to agree. Even Apple should not violate their own rules.

yeah things seem to run a little gay at apple lately..