Tim Cook makes surprise visit to D.C. Apple Store in support of World AIDS Day

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2014
Apple CEO Tim Cook and (RED) chief Deborah Dugan visited a Washington, D.C. Apple Store in Georgetown on Monday to show support for World AIDS Day, a global event created to foster awareness about HIV/AIDS.

Source: Tim Cook via Twitter

Cook posted to Twitter a pair of photos from the impromptu meet-up, explaining that Apple Stores "around the world are RED today for #WorldAIDSDay." Apple's retail outlets changed the color of their iconic logos red on Monday, while employees donned like-colored shirts for the occasion.

In a follow-up tweet, Dugan thanked Apple for its continuing contributions to the global fund to stop AIDS in Africa, saying the company has so far raised more than $75 million for the effort, a number recently announced by (RED) cofounder Bono She also included a hashtag promoting the Apps for (RED) campaign currently underway in the iOS App Store.

Last week, Apple unveiled a special initiative that puts exclusive (RED)-themed content up for purchase on the App Store. In partnership with top app developers, the company is giving all proceeds to (RED).

On Black Friday, customers shopping at Apple retail stores received a (RED) iTunes gift card when purchasing select iOS, Mac and Beats devices. Each card handed out represented a monetary contribution to the global fund, though exact donation values have not been made public. Apple's support continued today, Cyber Monday, as the company donated a portion of all Apple Store sales to the organization.

Apple has participated in the PROJECT(RED) initiative since 2006, first selling specially marked (RED)-branded iPods before expanding to accessories and other products.

Cook did not disclose the purpose of his trip to the nation's capital, though it can be assumed he didn't travel across the country just to visit an Apple Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member

Class act.

Looking great guys, and the cause is great too. 

• Reply 2 of 10
    At least everyone can be relatively certain there wasn't any hanky-panky going on between Apple CEO Tim Cook and (RED) chief Deborah Dugan during this trip... ;)
  • Reply 3 of 10
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    At least everyone can be relatively certain there wasn't any hanky-panky going on between Apple CEO Tim Cook and (RED) chief Deborah Dugan during this trip... ;)

With the latest rumour that Samsung Electronics is now also gay it may be a different case over there as they have two CEO's.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    OK Tim now can you stop sending me push notifications about this? I have App Store listed under do not include in Settings yet several times yesterday I received push notifications about RED.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

With the latest rumour that Samsung Electronics is now also gay it may be a different case over there as they have two CEO's.

hahha. Typical samsung, copying and doubling the spec sheet. 

• Reply 6 of 10
    Tim must be in Washington to talk with Congress about the mechanics of a repatriation tax holiday that is in the works. Apple will be the largest beneficiary in the world from the Holiday.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruggedchess View Post

Tim must be in Washington to talk with Congress about the mechanics of a repatriation tax holiday that is in the works. Apple will be the largest beneficiary in the world from the Holiday.

The US would benefit since Apple would have more cash to spend locally.

• Reply 8 of 10

I don't see Democrats allowing it and there's no widespread push from businesses to enact it...they're doing fine either way. This action would only benefit the tax collectors.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    rogifan wrote: »
    OK Tim now can you stop sending me push notifications about this? I have App Store listed under do not include in Settings yet several times yesterday I received push notifications about RED.

Strange, I haven't rec'd any. Am I not good enough for (RED)?

He's probably flipping off the DoJ.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Gotta grease those Washington wheels with more China-level influence. The alternative is to become victim to the interests of their competitors.