LAUSD officially ends 'iPads-for-all' contract with Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62

Reason 1: Chromebooks are for Creating, iPads are for Consuming

LOL - He obviously hasn't used an iPad lately...... The argument holds no water and points 2 and 3 are massively subjective.... and I can't share wok documents or word documents with anyone in the world from an iPad ? - Seriously.....

• Reply 22 of 62
    r2d2 wrote: »

Wow!

Thank you for pointing out how dangerous these Google shills can be.
  • Reply 23 of 62
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Socially we've progressed somewhat. People ignore those around them at a all time high. Intellectually we've regressed. Where are all the new symphonies, the new timeless works of art? People know the price of everything but the value of nothing.

Why do you think your argument is different from ones that people were making fifty years ago? A hundred years ago? Every generation has a tendency to complain about how things have gotten worse. Usually they blame "those meddling kids".

And mediums change. Besides, there is still music being made that is beautiful, there is still art that is beautiful, and there are still people making amazing discoveries of knowledge.
  • Reply 24 of 62
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by K0rmoran1066 View Post

Yeah like a Chromebook is going to get anyone anywhere these days..... sheesh! - I think this is more the old world not understanding the new world. New world is tablets and apps and online education. The old world is Microsoft and web based applications. Educators and administrators need to keep up. There is an entire new generation of children out there and the stats show that they are not using Chromebooks, Microsoft Laptops or even google android devices. They are using iPads, iPods and Apps and the vast amount of educational material that they can contain. They don't want chrome books ?!? Put the controversy to bed.... Give the children what they want or they are going to be singing the "Wall" for the next 30 years.

Did you type this and everything you do on an iOS device? I'm proud of you.

I asked my teenage daughter and she said use the right tool for the job. Some need a laptop (e.g. Chromebook) and others would prefer an iPad for the task at hand.

• Reply 25 of 62
    Socially we've progressed somewhat. People ignore those around them at a all time high. Intellectually we've regressed. Where are all the new symphonies, the new timeless works of art? People know the price of everything but the value of nothing.

People still write symphonies. U should do a little research on the topic.
  • Reply 26 of 62
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by K0rmoran1066 View Post

Yeah like a Chromebook is going to get anyone anywhere these days..... sheesh! - I think this is more the old world not understanding the new world. New world is tablets and apps and online education. The old world is Microsoft and web based applications. Educators and administrators need to keep up. There is an entire new generation of children out there and the stats show that they are not using Chromebooks, Microsoft Laptops or even google android devices. They are using iPads, iPods and Apps and the vast amount of educational material that they can contain. They don't want chrome books ?!? Put the controversy to bed.... Give the children what they want or they are going to be singing the "Wall" for the next 30 years.

Google overtakes Apple in the US classroom

3 Reasons Why Chromebook Beats iPad in 1:1 Programs

from the article:

Reason 1: Chromebooks are for Creating, iPads are for Consuming

Reason 2: The App Versus the Web

Reason 3: The Google Ecosystem for Collaboration

I think this boils down to one underlining reason. That is price.    

Reason 1. I think what they are saying here is, Chromebooks are already cheaper than iPad and Chromebooks already come with a keyboards. Fair enough. However, I would assert that most kids spend more time consuming than they do creation with keyboard. Further more, iPad apps provide richer consumption experiences than traditional web browser app. 

Reason 2.  I don't agree with this one.  Probably why its #2. Apps use the web also.  The difference is the UI.  Moreover, as I stated above, purpose build apps Apps can easily provide a richer UI interface than an HTML "Browser" App.   

Reason 3. I don't agree with this one either.  To clarify, one does not need Google's centralized logic architecture to do collaboration.  You can also do collaboration using distributed logic as well as using a native app; like Office 365. Its just that Google's system is free.  Moreover, even if one is bent on using Google's Collaboration ecosystem due to cost, it does not require a Chromebook to use it. 

So in summary, #1. cost, #2. bogus, #3. cost. 

• Reply 27 of 62
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    People still write symphonies. U should do a little research on the topic.

Nothing on par with Mozart, Bach, Tchaikovsky, etc...
  • Reply 28 of 62
    Nothing on par with Mozart, Bach, Tchaikovsky, etc...

According to who? You seem to forget that there were contemporaries to those men in their day that have since been forgotten. Back in their time, no one knew who would continue in popularity.
  • Reply 29 of 62
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Well get a load of this one. The FBI has raided the offices of LAUSD and carted off twenty boxes of records. Looks like they are investigating the ‘close’ relationship between the former superintendent and Apple executives. The above article only mentions this in passing.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2014/12/fbi_raids_lausd_officers.php

I sure hope there are no allegations of collusion or kickbacks coming. That would be a ‘gate’ to end all ‘gates.’ 

Maybe the guy just owned s lot of Apple stock?
  • Reply 30 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Well get a load of this one. The FBI has raided the offices of LAUSD and carted off twenty boxes of records. Looks like they are investigating the ‘close’ relationship between the former superintendent and Apple executives. The above article only mentions this in passing.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2014/12/fbi_raids_lausd_officers.php

I sure hope there are no allegations of collusion or kickbacks coming. That would be a ‘gate’ to end all ‘gates.’ 

Maybe the guy just owned s lot of Apple stock?

I got the impression he wanted to raise the bar in education instead of buying the minimal POS solution. Someone didn't like having their proposal rejected.

mess with Amazon they send in the DOJ

mess with Google and Microsoft they send in the FBI.

• Reply 31 of 62
    snova wrote: »

I got the impression he wanted to raise the bar in education instead of buying the minimal POS solution. Someone didn't like having their proposal rejected.

Actually, I don't know how Apple allowed the LAUSD to get out of their contract so easily. Surely Apple had some kind of a penalty clause. That is a massive order to simply walk away from.
  • Reply 32 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snova View Post

Actually, I don't know how Apple allowed the LAUSD to get out of their contract so easily. Surely Apple had some kind of a penalty clause. That is a massive order to simply walk away from.

yes. I had the same thought.  reading the fully LA article helps to read between the lines and explain why this got up to the federal level investigation level (FBI).  I don't think they are canceling iPad, just delaying right now.  Contract was NOT lost to Chromebooks. 

seems that someone on the school board got their feathers ruffled about this transaction and ask the L.A. county district attorney office to get involved to look for wrong doing. When LA country district attorney's office found no wrong doing, they did not give up the complaint. Instead, they went back again and got the FEDs involved this time to look for wrong doing. see below:

"http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-fbi-agents-take-ipad-documents-from-la-school-district-20141202-story.html"

"A public report on the project, prepared by board member Monica Ratliff, concluded that there were problems with how the bidding process was carried out and, later, with how the project was managed."

"The results of a previous, confidential internal district investigation were reviewed by the L.A. County district attorney’s office, which declined to file charges."

"We’re not going to use the original iPad contract anymore,” Cortines said Tuesday. “I think there have been too many innuendos, rumors, etc., and based on my reading of a great deal of material over Thanksgiving, I came to this conclusion. As CEO and steward of a billion-dollar operation, I have to make sure things are done properly so they are not questioned."

"The initial rollout last year in the iPad project, at 47 schools, encountered numerous problems. Students deleted a security filter so they could freely browse the Internet, and many teachers felt poorly prepared to use the devices. Within months, the board decided to move more slowly, while also trying out other devices and curricula."

"Cortines’ latest decision will delay how soon 27 schools can receive iPads that were authorized last year. If those schools want devices before next fall, they could opt instead to choose Chromebooks, which are available under a different contract."

• Reply 33 of 62
    swiftswift Posts: 436member

The first "scandal" was that kids could find a way to disable the stupid limits put on the iPad, so that they could go home and do some web surfing-- to PLACES NOT APPROVED in their lesson plans! Oh, my God! I'd have given them a good score for ingenuity and learning how to manipulate the LAUSDs locks. 

But I'm sure the kids will be enthralled by their chromebooks, and will be totally baffled about how to disable all security limitations, and be playing pirated games on it in five... four... three... two...

• Reply 34 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swift View Post

But I'm sure the kids will be enthralled by their chromebooks, and will be totally baffled about how to disable all security limitations, and be playing pirated games on it in five... four... three... two...

trying to play games on Chromebook? now that would be entertaining... but more from the observer's point of view than for the player's.

• Reply 35 of 62
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I beg to differ but that's a matter of opinion. I think that we're regressing because of computers.

As a comparison, the medical industry still can't (officially) cure the common cold but I don't see anybody rushing to shut it down.

I hope you haven't garnered that opinion by watching that foolishness called 'the news'.

Don't do that.

Not only is it biased, censored, and incredibly inaccurate, but it depicts a depressing situation that doesn't actually exist in the real world.

Things are better than you realise.

• Reply 36 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Ramon Cortines, superintendent of the Los Angeles Unified School District, on Tuesday announced the official termination of a plan to equip local schools with $1.3 billion worth of Apple iPads, a project fostered by his predecessor last year.

Dear AI editing staff.

A. According to the article the $1.3 billion appears to be NOT just for iPads.  

It seems the $1.3 is broken out to be $500 million for iPad and electronic curriculum from Pearson.  The remaining $800 million for other costs.

The article did not say what the split of the $500 mill between iPad and electronic curriculum is. 

"The FBI seizure of documents came as the L.A. schools inspector general, Ken Bramlett, continued his inquiry into the events leading up to the agreement, which was expected to expand to about $500 million for the devices and curriculum -- and another $800 million for staffing, improved broadband and other costs -- as the iPad program rolled out across the sprawling school system."

B. In addition,I don't see anything in the article about termination of the contract. Just further delay of iPad purchases. Its unclear what Cortines means by "“We’re not going to use the original iPad contract anymore,” Cortines said Tuesday".  Does this mean buy more?  However, at the end of the article the final sentence says:

"Cortines’ latest decision will delay how soon 27 schools can receive iPads that were authorized last year."

• Reply 37 of 62
    I'm not against this decision in the slightest. They didn't have the iPads properly secured (not sure if that's a shortcoming with iOS profiles or the school district's setup), but most importantly I think they cost too much for what they will be using them for. I think a Chromebooks make a lot more sense because it is a laptop and offers the students both offline and online access to Google Docs, allows a much easier way to keep the system updated and secure, as well as restricting and opening up access, assuming they have a competent backend in place.
  • Reply 38 of 62
    Tech such as ipads, chromebooks etc should be added but after forethought of how best to do it and proper research into security etc.

The original guy wanted ipads and Pearson and tailored the requirements so it would be the obvious choice.

It's important to note that they aren't killing the idea just this contract. We may find in six months they are still going to buy iPads after all, but after a properly executed contract is created.
  • Reply 39 of 62
    charlituna wrote: »
    Tech such as ipads, chromebooks etc should be added but after forethought of how best to do it and proper research into security etc.

The original guy wanted ipads and Pearson and tailored the requirements so it would be the obvious choice.

It's important to note that they aren't killing the idea just this contract. We may find in six months they are still going to buy iPads after all, but after a properly executed contract is created.

It does seem odd that the HW seems to have come first. To me that's like putting the cart before the horse.

A model I would have followed would have been to A) build up the infrastructure (which includes security, and then B) build a system that can be UI independent. IOW, create all the backend data. Then build out a great web UI, then a universal iOS UI, then an Android OS UI, and whatever else would come next. Keep it centralized doesn't mean you can't have local, offline tools at the child's disposal.

I understand this had a high element of getting HW in the hands of children that had no access, but you still need education tools so that should be the first priority.

A commercial (and free) example of a great education tool that does it right is Duolingo. It follows the basics of Rosetta Stone but it's not stuck in a 1990's mentality. I can study a lesson in Spanish on my iPhone, then go to my iPad and pick up from there, then move to my Mac and continue there. Each UI is idealized for the display but it all looks similar and is synced up. Except for an offline solution for kids that may not have internet home it's a great foundation for efficient and convenient education.
  • Reply 40 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

You know what, I actually chuckled at that.

Even though Apple Maps is fine.

Friend bought iPhone last week, switching from her Nokia WhatTheHellDoTheyCallIt(TM). First complaint is "Apple Maps sucks".

After digging, she hates the absence of "public transportation" option for routes. I pointed out GMaps is also available for that purpose, but now she complains that she needs to have "lots" (aka, 2) of Maps apps.

Apple Maps should implement those features, trafic warnings, public transportation maps. These are really in use by people.