Problems with JAVA and OS X YOSEMITE???

Posted:
in macOS edited December 2014

After upgrading to Yosemite, when using Safari, i keep receiving the following error message/pop-up:

"TO VIEW THIS WEB CONTENT, YOU NEED TO INSTALL THE JAVA RUNTIME ENVIRONMENT."

I have done that (multiple times), the JAVA website confirms that I have the "recommended" version of JAVA installed, yet this annoying message keeps popping up.

Suggestions?  Help?

Thanks in advance,

Al

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Two questions:

[LIST=1]
    [*] Where did you acquire your Java runtime?
    [*] Which version do you have installed?
    [/LIST]
  • Reply 2 of 6

1). From the ORACLE CORPORATION Java Website itself.

2). Version 8, Update 25 (and the Java website confirms that it's installed).

Any help is appreciated Mr. Me

• Reply 3 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    OK. This may be an issue with the security differences between [B]Java 8[/B] [or [B]Java 7[/B]] and [B]Java 6[/B] from Apple. I deal with this issue while using my firm's Java-based database applet. It works just fine in [B]Java 6[/B]. However, it struggles in [B]Java 7[/B] and is inoperable in [B]Java 8[/B]. The problem is that the applet was written for a substantially less secure older JVM. [B]Java 8[/B] requires a server certificate that the older JVM does not have.

See if you can locate, download, and install [B]Java 6[/B] on Apple's website. Hopefully, this will solve your problem.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

OK. This may be an issue with the security differences between Java 8 [or Java 7] and Java 6 from Apple. I deal with this issue while using my firm's Java-based database applet. It works just fine in Java 6. However, it struggles in Java 7 and is inoperable in Java 8. The problem is that the applet was written for a substantially less secure older JVM. Java 8 requires a server certificate that the older JVM does not have.

See if you can locate, download, and install Java 6 on Apple's website. Hopefully, this will solve your problem.

Precisely, had to do this myself yesterday to install a piece of software from amazon that specifically requested Java 6.

Wouldn't work with the official Java 8 from Oracle, and apple has cut off versions 7.25 and prior.

Got my java from here:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/39490/apple-java/install ;

This should solve your problems.

• Reply 5 of 6

Whenever I come across a site or app that requires Java, I re-evaluate my desire to deal with it.