Apple rolls out Safari 8.0.1, 7.1.1 and 6.2.1 with security fixes, Firefox data import [u]

Posted:
in Mac Software edited December 2014
Apple on Wednesday pushed out a batch of updates for its flagship Safari Web browser with security patches, fixes for iCloud issues and improvements like the ability to import data from Firefox.

Three weeks after issuing the last Safari beta seeds to developers, Apple released three browser version updates with improvements to overall usability, stability and security.

Among the bug fixes are two resolutions for iCloud-related syncing issues, the first being a problem that prevented browsing history from being synced if iCloud Drivewas not turned, and a second issue that prevented saved passwords from being autofilled after two devices are registered with iCloud Keychain.

A number of security patches are also incorporated into today's builds. According to Apple's Support website, Safari 8.0.1, 7.1.1 and 6.2.1 address three WebKit vulnerabilities that could result in remote data harvesting or UI spoofing when visiting a malicious webpage.

Performance enhancements include WebGL graphics rendering on Macs with Retina displays, while users of Mozilla's Firefox browser can now import usernames and passwords directly into Safari.

Safari 8.0.1 for OS X 10.10 Yosemite, Safari 7.1.1 for OS X 10.9 Mavericks and Safari 6.2.1 for OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion are all free downloads available via the Software Update mechanism.

Update: Apple has silently pulled the latest Safari update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Excellent.

Now let's get that Yosemite wifi solution and next iOS 8 update/bugfix out to us, boys.

Thankee kindly.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    Just a reminder that firefox has no security/password protection for your stored usernames and passwords.

In Firefox goto Preferences -> Security -> Saved Passwords -> Show Passwords.

Then all you need to do is click Yes to see all saved passwords.

If that isn't reason enough to finally switch to Safari, I don't know what is.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    ecats wrote: »
    Just a reminder that firefox has no security/password protection for your stored usernames and passwords.

If I recall, the Master Password option is one of the first actions Firefox asks if you want to fill out. I cannot imagine the debate that made this optional.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    snappier

;-)
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ECats View Post

Are they at least encrypted on the hard drive otherwise, or are they stored in plaintext like Chrome did for years?

• Reply 6 of 13

Apparently, Apple pulled the update this afternoon. The direct links were working a few hours ago, but it isn't showing in App Store Updates anymore.

• Reply 7 of 13
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member

Yes, something odd is going on.

I installed 8.0.1 this morning on my MacBook Air, but when I got home to install the update on my Mac mini, it doesn't appear in App Store.

Apparently 8.0.1 is not a lucky release number for Apple. Perhaps they should just skip to 8.1.1.

;) 

• Reply 8 of 13
    Apple's software department needs to take a deep breath and start again.
  • Reply 9 of 13

Weird. My laptop got the update an hour ago but it hasn’t shown up on my desktop.

EDIT: And of course they pulled it. Geez.

• Reply 10 of 13
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 433member
    Wow the heck is going on with these updates? Stay longer, get them right.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    jroyjroy Posts: 29member
    Hmm. I already updated to 8.0.1. Wonder what awful things to expect?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Running 8.0.1 with no issue since yesterday. And on a system connected via WiFi yet.

• Reply 13 of 13

And people wonder why I don't set anything to auto-update.