- the Basic interpreter for the Apple II

I think that's not too bad for just 1 guy

fine. 6 trick pony ;-)

• Reply 42 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

I cannot give this list any credibility when it does not contain ARPANET/INTERNET. As far as tech companies and their core ideas being disruptive, Cisco should maybe have made the list. 

And Motorola for the 'mobile phone'.

I don't know that I would have put the mobile phone per say, but their whole concept of "cell" based radio communication to achieve the density and coverage required was pretty god dammed disruptive for all mobile data solutions.

• Reply 43 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

It's silly to say Aople is an "idea." Apple would be a footnote in history if not for Steve Jobs' relentless pursuits. GPS and credit cards are ideas, as is Google's PageRsnk algorithm, but companies are not.

I agree. Ideas are cheap, even worthless unless you can execute.

The post-1997 Apple that Jobs created (by whatever means necessary), focusing the company on great products are his enduring legacy.

I think you guys might not be considering the context in which Apple was founded as why Apple is on the list. Wasn't the point back then that "every person should have a personal computer"? Whatever the exact wording of it is, is pretty damn disruptive in the mid-1970s when basically nobody had personal computers. Apple's execution back then was at least being credited with the first personal computer. I'm not sure that should have been in the top 10, but it was certainly disruptive in the context of mainframes and how computers existed before Apple.

• Reply 44 of 65
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I don't know that I would have put the mobile phone per say, but their whole concept of "cell" based radio communication to achieve the density and coverage required was pretty god dammed disruptive for all mobile data solutions.

Agreed. While cellular technology existed for years Motorola was the first company to actually make a phone for consumers. Together they have changed the world. By the way it's 'per se' which is Latin for 'in itself'.
  • Reply 45 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mretondo View Post

Walmart ahead of TV and where is the Radio, you got to be kidding me with this list! 

Radio is over 100 years old and does not meet the 85 year requirement for this list.

• Reply 46 of 65
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Hats off to Frank Whittle. A brilliant engineer,
  • Reply 47 of 65
    Woz: Camelot is a myth. The Steve Jobs garage is real, and now a historic site.
  • Reply 48 of 65
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Nope. Penicillin (read antibiotics) is number one.
  • Reply 49 of 65
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRealTom View Post

He said he knew it would be special but yet he left the company.. Right..

Not quite. He didn't continue to do stuff there but he continued to be an employee. And still is, as far as I know.

• Reply 50 of 65
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    apple ][ wrote: »
    What a ridiculous list.

Usually, when a magazine or media outlet has a countdown of the best 100 songs or best 100 inventions or whatever, they always have questionable inclusions on that list, and this list is no different. The list was probably made by just a few people, so it merely represents the opinions of a few people, and there's often things that are forgotten and things that do get included, but do not deserve to even be on the list.

Leo Laporte and John Dvorak (both with a publishing and media background) have previously said exactly where these idiotic lists come from and it's even dumber than you think.

One of Dvorak's articles about that is here:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2357842,00.asp

There was a list put up by Fortune and CNN a while back and it had just been put together by one guy:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/167068/apples-tim-cook-leads-silicon-valley-delegation-in-new-leadership-rankings

They clearly don't order items based around the purpose of the list. They put junk bonds ahead of Apple, which makes sense coming from billionaire-owned Bloomberg but those don't matter at all to most people.

Putting Google ahead of Apple in anything is a good way to get people linking to and talking about it. People fall for it every time. It looks like they picked a whole bunch of things that would get people to react but wedged them between more mundane items to give some legitimacy. I'm surprised they didn't put twerking, sexting or selfies in above Al-Qaeda.
  • Reply 51 of 65
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

I cannot give this list any credibility when it does not contain ARPANET/INTERNET.

/\

THIS. The Internet has revolutionized our lives (along with the PC).

• Reply 52 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

One of Dvorak's articles about that is here:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2357842,00.asp

There was a list put up by Fortune and CNN a while back and it had just been put together by one guy:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/167068/apples-tim-cook-leads-silicon-valley-delegation-in-new-leadership-rankings

They clearly don't order items based around the purpose of the list. They put junk bonds ahead of Apple, which makes sense coming from billionaire-owned Bloomberg but those don't matter at all to most people.

Putting Google ahead of Apple in anything is a good way to get people linking to and talking about it. People fall for it every time. It looks like they picked a whole bunch of things that would get people to react but wedged them between more mundane items to give some legitimacy. I'm surprised they didn't put twerking, sexting or selfies in above Al-Qaeda.

Thanks for digging up a good link (re: Dvorak), Marvin.

• Reply 53 of 65

The Top Ten List of Lists that List the Most Click-Baits. 

• Reply 54 of 65
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Agreed. While cellular technology existed for years Motorola was the first company to actually make a phone for consumers. Together they have changed the world. By the way it's 'per se' which is Latin for 'in itself'.
    I know that, but my spell checker doesn't. :(
  • Reply 55 of 65
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    I know that, but my spell checker doesn't. :(

AI's grammar police need to apply that figurative chokehold a little loser. :D
  • Reply 56 of 65
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

Nope. Penicillin (read antibiotics) is number one.

Penicillin was discovered 86 years ago, so it (just barely) missed the cut.

• Reply 57 of 65
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Those questioning the Walmart inclusion probably don't "get" Walmart.  Walmart is so radically different from every store that came before that it revolutionized retail.  Walmart's use of data and its relationship with its partners "changed everything."  As I understand it (told to me by an economics professor who I assume knew what he was talking about), Walmart doesn't stock products like a traditional store.  The products on the shelves are literally not part of Walmart's inventory, they are still technically on the books of the provider.  If they don't sell, Walmart doesn't eat the cost, but they are very quick to get that crap off their shelves so they can move something that will sell.  Therefore they get very involved in the business operations of their partners (not unlike Apple and their manufacturing partners, perhaps) to drive every penny of waste and extra cost from the sales stream.  Before Walmart, that's now how things worked.  So if you're a business magazine, like say BusinessWeek, this type of innovation and disruption is fascinating and laudable.  So whether the list overall is crap or not, I can certainly understand why Walmart was very very high on this particular list. 

• Reply 58 of 65
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    malax wrote: »
    Those questioning the Walmart inclusion probably don't "get" Walmart.  Walmart is so radically different from every store that came before that it revolutionized retail.  Walmart's use of data and its relationship with its partners "changed everything."  As I understand it (told to me by an economics professor who I assume knew what he was talking about), Walmart doesn't stock products like a traditional store.  The products on the shelves are literally not part of Walmart's inventory, they are still technically on the books of the provider.  If they don't sell, Walmart doesn't eat the cost, but they are very quick to get that crap off their shelves so they can move something that will sell.  Therefore they get very involved in the business operations of their partners (not unlike Apple and their manufacturing partners, perhaps) to drive every penny of waste and extra cost from the sales stream.  Before Walmart, that's now how things worked.  So if you're a business magazine, like say BusinessWeek, this type of innovation and disruption is fascinating and laudable.  So whether the list overall is crap or not, I can certainly understand why Walmart was very very high on this particular list. 

I don't believe that. They nearly bankrupted Rubbermaid because they wanted to increase prices due to an increase of the price of resin which is used to manufacture their products. Walmart refused to accept the price increase, and switched to a different brand. Walmart didn't give Rubbermaid the chance to see if its products would sell at a higher price.
  • Reply 59 of 65
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    I am still trying to figure out why several people wanted to put the discovery of the antibiotic properties of penicillin on a list of allegedly disruptive ideas.

Now to get back on topic, this list is absolutely meaningless and nonsensical.
  • Reply 60 of 65
    Originally Posted by Sensi View Post

I am still trying to figure out why several people wanted to put the discovery of the antibiotic properties of penicillin on a list of allegedly disruptive ideas.

I guess preventing death isn’t disruptive.