Apple issues second OS X 10.10.2 Yosemite beta with Wi-Fi fixes

Posted:
in macOS edited December 2014
Apple on Thursday pushed out a new beta build of its upcoming OS X 10.10.2 Yosemite maintenance update, asking developers to focus on changes made to Wi-Fi assets.

The latest beta, build 14C78c, comes two weeks after a first version was released noting the same Wi-Fi focus area.

Apple last OS X 10.10.1 update went live in November to fix Wi-Fi issues, Mail compatibility and general bug squashing. Despite the updated code, some Mac users continued to see slow Wi-Fi speeds.

Developers can download OS X 10.10.2 via Apple's developer portal or the Software Update mechanism.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56

Yosemite has been one big mess since it came out. Bluetooth issues, wifi issues, mail issues and the list goes on. Apple really needs to slow the releases for OS X versions down and take the intervening time to get the release as polished as it can be rather than releasing beta-versions once-per-year and calling them Golden Masters.

• Reply 2 of 56
    Maybe this will help the poor connection issues I have
  • Reply 3 of 56
    As always with OS updates, your mileage may vary, so to balance "the squeaky wheels" I must say I have had absolutely no Bluetooth, WiFi, or Mail issues with Yosemite, which has been been the least problematic release for me since 10.8. In fact, Bluetooth is a huge improvement over 10.9 because it allows me to use my Zik headset for text input, something that caused a stack crash in 10.9. I also find Yosemite to be much more responsive–and this is on a heavily hardware tweaked MacPro from 2012 with many non-Apple parts like PC GPU, RAM, SSDs, etc.
    The only real thing has been a few cosmetic glitches in the UI that I can live with.
  • Reply 4 of 56
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    Yosemite isn't actually more buggy than prior versions. (Actually it's far more stable overall.)

Unlike other bugs where the user may only encounter them once or twice before they're patched. This set of wifi bugs, when experienced, is one that those affected will feel again and again.
  • Reply 5 of 56
    plankton wrote: »
    As always with OS updates, your mileage may vary, so to balance "the squeaky wheels" I must say I have had absolutely no Bluetooth, WiFi, or Mail issues with Yosemite, which has been been the least problematic release for me since 10.8. In fact, Bluetooth is a huge improvement over 10.9 because it allows me to use my Zik headset for text input, something that caused a stack crash in 10.9. I also find Yosemite to be much more responsive–and this is on a heavily hardware tweaked MacPro from 2012 with many non-Apple parts like PC GPU, RAM, SSDs, etc.
    The only real thing has been a few cosmetic glitches in the UI that I can live with.

My experience chimes with yours.

I love Yosemite, and find it more stable than Mavericks. Still could do with lots of refining. Perhaps next year, they could release a 'fix everything' release to make everything rock solid for the next ten years.

It's iOS that really needs a lot of work. And iCloud Drive.
  • Reply 6 of 56
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Yosemite has been one big mess since it came out. Bluetooth issues, wifi issues, mail issues and the list goes on. Apple really needs to slow the releases for OS X versions down and take the intervening time to get the release as polished as it can be rather than releasing beta-versions once-per-year and calling them Golden Masters.

I have had few issues, no wi-fi issues at all strangely with the developer betas although I down-graded to the release version today on one Mac because Safari was doing funky things on my nMac Pro. I will try the latest version tomorrow.
  • Reply 7 of 56
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I have had few issues, no wi-fi issues at all strangely 

I have had a persistent intermittent problem with wifi and websites connecting. The iPad works fine when the 2011 MacBook Pro doesn't.

• Reply 8 of 56
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Since converting from Windows in 2010, I must say that I've loved every version of OS X except one:

I'd be lion if I didn't admit to having a few technical issues with that one...

• Reply 9 of 56
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

As always, you are completely off base with your statement. Yosemite is by far the most stable OS X to be released in a long time. But it’s easy to fall for the “Google hits” and discussion forum “views” method of evaluating the stability of a release. People tend to forget that the same issues constantly repeat themselves when a new release comes, namely Wifi issues, “sluggishness” issues, freezing issues, failure to boot issues, applications issues. If the complainers would take the time to go back in time they would see the same complaints over and over again. And yes, that does imply user installation problems and/or corruption prior to installing new software updates. 

• Reply 10 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

As always, you are completely off base with your statement. Yosemite is by far the most stable OS X to be released in a long time. But it’s easy to fall for the “Google hits” and discussion forum “views” method of evaluating the stability of a release. People tend to forget that the same issues constantly repeat themselves when a new release comes, namely Wifi issues, “sluggishness” issues, freezing issues, failure to boot issues, applications issues. If the complainers would take the time to go back in time they would see the same complaints over and over again. And yes, that does imply user installation problems and/or corruption prior to installing new software updates. 

Yes, a quick Google search shows how "off base" I am:

https://www.google.com/search?q=yosemite+bugs&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#safe=off&q=osx+yosemite+bugs

But since I gather you don't use Google here's the same for DuckDuckGo:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=osx+yosemite+bugs

OSX Yosemite is plagued with problems, moreso than any OS I've used and I've been on OSX since Panther.

• Reply 11 of 56

:no:
  • Reply 12 of 56
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I really like Yosemite, but it's full of small issues that affect only some situations. For me on a new Mac Pro: I had audio problems (found an obscure solution) and Bluetooth problems (no solution: if I enable Handoff, my keyboard is dead).

It's close! But I wouldn't recommend people install it yet (nor iOS 8 for that matter--which I also like but has its issues still). Fast forward another update or 3 and both OS's should be where we want them.

It's time for Apple marketing to step up to the challenge: sell the press on the idea that it's OK to decouple OS releases from hardware releases. Software is complex--don't add artificial drop-dead deadlines.
  • Reply 13 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Still could do with lots of refining. Perhaps next year, they could release a 'fix everything' release to make everything rock solid for the next ten years.

Haha! You can't sell "rock solid" one year after it's been released. So, I'm afraid, they will always try to cram new features and pseudo-features into the OS, and inevitably bring in a pile of bugs.

But a "fix it all" release is really needed.

• Reply 14 of 56
    solipsismy wrote: »
    :no:

Curious. I respect your thoughts Solipsism so why don't you tell me where the err is in those articles/links? It seems a lot of people have been having issues with not only Yosemite but just about every release from Lion onward.

I've said it before but Apple needs to slow down the release schedule of OS X to an every other year schedule to give it time to get these bugs worked out.
  • Reply 15 of 56
    Curious. I respect your thoughts Solipsism so why don't you tell me where the err is in those articles/links? It seems a lot of people have been having issues with not only Yosemite but just about every release from Lion onward.

I've said it before but Apple needs to slow down the release schedule of OS X to an every other year schedule to give it time to get these bugs worked out.

My issue is with using a web engine search as proof there is a prolific issue with something. Neutral and positive comments also get counted. For instance, "Yosemite resolved my bugs with Mavericks," or "Yosemite is great I just wish Microsoft would fix their Excel bugs," would affect those numbers.

The bottom line is that all OSes have bugs. There hasn't been a version of Mac OS X where someone didn't encounter bugs, especially with WiFi. And remember these existed when Mac OS X was updated only after several years.
  • Reply 16 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Perhaps next year, they could release a 'fix everything' release to make everything rock solid for the next ten years.

Well, Yosemite is almost rock solid. You can say it is 'Sock Rolid'!

• Reply 17 of 56
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

I agree with what Solip wrote. Every OS has issues, even those that have extended development windows. Using a web search as a basis to prove a negative point is inherently flawed because most folks that don't have issues, aren't going out of their way to post that life is dandy.

I do agree to some extent that the compressed release cycle can have negative effects, there are quite a lot of things that can lead to more white noise. A larger install base being a big one. There are just a lot more iOS and Mac users than there have ever been. Apple's scale is massive at this point and growing even larger every quarter.

There needs to be some perspective. Never is the history of computing, even in Microsoft's glory days, has tech been so pervasive, and things aren't slowing down. The technology being developed is increasingly more complex and slowing down has huge market consequences. It's a hard thing to tackle.

• Reply 18 of 56
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I really think they need to just rewrite their wifi drivers. Apple has no real exc

Plenty of pro-Apple bloggers and podcasters have been making that point. Releasing to a hardware schedule isn't going to guarantee quality.
  • Reply 19 of 56
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    My issue is with using a web engine search as proof there is a prolific issue with something. Neutral and positive comments also get counted. For instance, "Yosemite resolved my bugs with Mavericks," or "Yosemite is great I just wish Microsoft would fix their Excel bugs," would affect those numbers.

The bottom line is that all OSes have bugs. There hasn't been a version of Mac OS X where someone didn't encounter bugs, especially with WiFi. And remember these existed when Mac OS X was updated only after several years.

Isn't it time they fixed the Wifi though? Maybe the code needs a total rewrite.
  • Reply 20 of 56
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    asdasd wrote: »
    Isn't it time they fixed the Wifi though? Maybe the code needs a total rewrite.

Ideally I want all code to be fixed with each next update, but that won't happen.

From a personal perspective, Yosemite is the first time I've had any real WiFi issues with Mac OS X. It likes to jump from 802.11ac to 802.11n at home, but the speed gets much slower than 802.11n. I check this by doing Option-click on the WiFI icon in the Menu Bar. This is corrected by toggling WiFi off then on, so not a major chore, but still something no user should need to deal with. This doesn't happen all the time and perhaps it has something to do with my AEBS, too, but I don't know because wireless networking requires a lore more trial and error to narrow down specific issues. I did a clean install of Mac OS X on my 2013 MBP so my best guess is an issue with the network stack or WiFi driver in the MBP.