Protestors take over Fifth Ave Apple Store in 'die-in' demonstration

Comments

• Reply 21 of 365

At least the 1970s had love-ins. Sure, this garbage has fewer STDs spread, but at least getting a venereal disease accomplishes something, albeit a bad something.

• Reply 22 of 365
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

At least the 1970s had love-ins. Sure, this garbage has fewer STDs spread, but at least getting a venereal disease accomplishes something, albeit a bad something.

This seems to be the same crap as the occupy crap, and they had a few rape-ins I recall.

• Reply 23 of 365
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    As a protester, your main goal is to get your story into the media. Mission accomplished here.
  • Reply 24 of 365
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

As a protester, your main goal is to get your story into the media. Mission accomplished here.

Because none of this had already been in the media.... at all.

• Reply 25 of 365

Protesting one of the most diversity and equality conscious organizations ever to exist.  I'll bet the majority of those dimwits own iPhones, probably stolen.

I believe the Eric Garner case is tragic, and I think at the very least the cop should have been charged with involuntary manslaughter.  However, I do not believe the same goes for the Michael Brown case, and in either case rioting, looting, and violence are completely counterproductive to the cause.  They have furthered the damage, rather than helping.

• Reply 26 of 365
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Better to do something off-base, misguided, unfocussed, and poorly-directed, than to do nothing at all. And it does help (a little) to keep this real and important issue in the eye of the public and media. An issue that matters far more than anyone's "inconvenience" or a trivial drop of a corporation's profit ocean. Anyone who thinks police treatment of blacks is not a huge and nationwide problem hasn't seen what I've seen (and has probably seen an awful lot of sand around their head).

Still... even better to put the same time and energy into the same issue in a way that, you know, makes even a trace of actual SENSE! Just a thought. (Hint: "capitalism" is not the root of the problem. Try other "isms" and you will find it!)
  • Reply 27 of 365
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

"The CEO of Apple knows we shut his store down -- that means capitalist America is going to take us seriously," Santos said. "We are going to shake up your business and we want to hit you where it hurts."

Yeah, not sure how Apple is going to survive this one, since this guy and his friends shut down their only store. Hopefully Apple has enough pennies in the bank to hold on for a bit, before they're forced to liquidate the company. Cook must be sweating bullets at this catastrophic hit to his business.  

• Reply 28 of 365
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    I really don't understand what capitalism has to do with the problem. But then again I'm white and don't quite understand what the problem is. I've had some black friends lecture me on white privilege and how I had it easy and stuff. My mom was a waitress and my dad was a maintenance man and they worked hard to give us a better life. I was able to go to college and started my own businesses. Nobody ever gave me anything. We didn't resort to crime and we certainly respected those placed in authority over us.

These protestors seem to be following the crowd in this ridiculous notion that police shouldn't have any authority. If a cop tells you to get down or stop or whatever, you do it! That's the whole point. Should people be killed for selling cigarettes? No. But this wouldn't have happened if the guy was a law-abiding citizen. I don't care what race you are. Respect those in authority over you and those companies who have built this country and they will respect you. Funny how that works.

If you are unhappy with your lot in life, change it. Go to school and learn how to program or do something worthy of a career. People complain that Apple only hires white men, but I've yet to meet many others who are qualified for the type of work Apple needs in that regard. Equality needs to be accomplished from both directions.
  • Reply 29 of 365
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRaider2011 View Post

Haha what does corporate America have to do with any of this? I just can't take protestors seriously anymore, they don't even know who to target.

So true, Apple wasn't involved, but I'm sure they support the protestors.

Also Apple can afford not to complain to the authorities, so  they will have no affect on Apple.

I wonder who made the error of picking the Apple store? 

OK it is a higher profile top corporate location to die while protesting.

• Reply 30 of 365
    It may not seem to make sense that protester use Apple stores when Apple has nothing to do with the incident that is being protested.

But it does makes sense. The sense is that Apple attempts to stand for the best in us. Its not that Apple has any responsibility for the complicated and unfortunate incidents. It is that Apple actually represents and ideal that listens. The US government certainly doesn't as it bombs its way through conflicts. But Tim Cook and Apple (and Steve Jobs) have shown they care about the human condition though simple channels like Product (RED) so protesters respond accordingly. Apple attracts protests because Apple projects a receptiveness to protests.

It is a strange world. Why a corporation would be able to stand for individual rights beyond what our government and supposedly protective branches of governance should, I don't know. But the fact is that Apple projects a respect for individuals that our cynical government, military and police forces do not.
  • Reply 31 of 365
    -los-los Posts: 15member
    Why the Apple store? Why not do this at the police station?
  • Reply 32 of 365
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kozchris View Post

I have yet to see where any of these altercations were not involved with someone who was not involved in a previous crime. If they had stayed out of trouble then there would not have been a problem. 

I really think we need a shoot first system instead of this BS we have going on now. If a cop tells you to stop then frigging stop.

Contrary to what the media makes it seem like, cops don't want to have to cuff you and haul you to jail. Cops would much rather:

a) write you a citation to show up to court (if you are really being a dumb ass)

or

b) explain what you did wrong and send you on your way for cooperating.

I'm not sure you're entirely wrong.

Perhaps it is time for a shoot first system.  If a cop tells you to do something, shoot the cop dead.

Maybe thousands of dead cops is what it's going to take.  Maybe that's the only thing that will get the message across to these thugs in blue that we're done with their brutality.  Maybe that will fix it.

I sincerely hope not.  But the attitude that I'm seeing here suggests that maybe it is.

Police brutality is out of control in this country.  If annoying a few people at an Apple store is what it takes to get the message across, then I say "wonderful!"  But I'm afraid that with your attitudes it won't do any good.  Eric Garner was murdered by a police officer.  Michael Brown was murdered by a police officer.  Hundreds of other people are murdered every year by police officers in this country. 

In Germany in 2011, police fired 85 bullets.  In America, police had murdered 85 people before March ended that year.  The cops murdered more people in Utah last year than any street gang.  And every time, they get away with it.

There are two options here.  Either police stop murdering people and getting away with it, or police blood WILL run in the streets.  Pick option one, it's better for us all.

And no, I'm not going to go out and start shooting cops.  Pressure your legislators to bring the cops under control, or this country will see a shitstorm like it hasn't seen since the 1860s.  As to the boxes, we're still at soap.  Help take it to ballot, jury isn't working, and none of us will benefit if it progresses to ammo.

• Reply 33 of 365
    Trespassing idiots.
  • Reply 34 of 365
    darkvader wrote: »

I'm not sure you're entirely wrong.

Perhaps it is time for a shoot first system.  If a cop tells you to do something, shoot the cop dead.

Maybe thousands of dead cops is what it's going to take.  Maybe that's the only thing that will get the message across to these thugs in blue that we're done with their brutality.  Maybe that will fix it.

I sincerely hope not.  But the attitude that I'm seeing here suggests that maybe it is.

Police brutality is out of control in this country.  If annoying a few people at an Apple store is what it takes to get the message across, then I say "wonderful!"  But I'm afraid that with your attitudes it won't do any good.  Eric Garner was murdered by a police officer.  Michael Brown was murdered by a police officer.  Hundreds of other people are murdered every year by police officers in this country. 

In Germany in 2011, police fired 85 bullets.  In America, police had murdered 85 people before March ended that year.  The cops murdered more people in Utah last year than any street gang.  And every time, they get away with it.

There are two options here.  Either police stop murdering people and getting away with it, or police blood WILL run in the streets.  Pick option one, it's better for us all.

And no, I'm not going to go out and start shooting cops.  But this is NOT the time to be an Apple fanboi, pressure your legislators to bring the cops under control, or this country will see a shitstorm like it hasn't seen since the 1860s.  As to the boxes, we're still at soap.  Help take it to ballot, jury isn't working, and none of us will benefit if it progresses to ammo.

Nah. The morons behind this have probably never fired a gun in their lives.

Frankly, they should all be arrested for trespassing. Communists.
  • Reply 35 of 365
    I'm glad I don't live in Ferguson; the police are good, but the people are not.
  • Reply 36 of 365
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    These people should be locked up for trespassing.
  • Reply 37 of 365
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Protesting is ok but you shouldn't take over someone's business. Your right to voice your opinion does not cancel out their right to do business. You should do it in a public park or something like that.

• Reply 38 of 365
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

I really don't understand what capitalism has to do with the problem. But then again I'm white and don't quite understand what the problem is. I've had some black friends lecture me on white privilege and how I had it easy and stuff. My mom was a waitress and my dad was a maintenance man and they worked hard to give us a better life. I was able to go to college and started my own businesses. Nobody ever gave me anything. We didn't resort to crime and we certainly respected those placed in authority over us.

These protestors seem to be following the crowd in this ridiculous notion that police shouldn't have any authority. If a cop tells you to get down or stop or whatever, you do it! That's the whole point. Should people be killed for selling cigarettes? No. But this wouldn't have happened if the guy was a law-abiding citizen. I don't care what race you are. Respect those in authority over you and those companies who have built this country and they will respect you. Funny how that works.

If you are unhappy with your lot in life, change it. Go to school and learn how to program or do something worthy of a career. People complain that Apple only hires white men, but I've yet to meet many others who are qualified for the type of work Apple needs in that regard. Equality needs to be accomplished from both directions.

The real issue is that some need to be more law-abiding than others.

That because of what they wear, because of their skin color, their looks, ... some are more suspect than others.

The issue really isn't about being law-abiding.

The issue is racism and discrimination.

I sincerely congratulate you on fulfilling your goals with no help whatsoever. The thing is, being white, no one has ever questioned you, your motives or your acts. If you have a different skin color, you don't have that luxury. You're being tested: always, on whatever you do  and by everybody. That's the privilege you're benefiting from: not being tested again and again and again.

BTW: there are exceptions, even large ones, I know that. The rule of thumb still stands

• Reply 39 of 365
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

But this wouldn't have happened if the guy was a law-abiding citizen.

1. Regardless, the punishment doesn't come close to fitting the crime.

2. Are you sure about that?  You think police have never shot and killed an innocent person?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Respect those in authority over you and those companies who have built this country and they will respect you. Funny how that works.s.

I don't think "respect the police or we may shoot you" is a good byline, or how many people want law enforcement to operate.  And shooting people dead for misdemeanours is not how an organisation earns respect.

• Reply 40 of 365
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    buzdots wrote: »
    If someone had dumped one of those illegal, 32 ounce Slushies from the second floor you would see the dead rise again.

They're mostly hipsters, so they'd rise for green grass juice.