Protestors take over Fifth Ave Apple Store in 'die-in' demonstration

Comments

• Reply 41 of 365
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

I'm not sure you're entirely wrong.

Perhaps it is time for a shoot first system.  If a cop tells you to do something, shoot the cop dead.

Maybe thousands of dead cops is what it's going to take.  Maybe that's the only thing that will get the message across to these thugs in blue that we're done with their brutality.  Maybe that will fix it.

I sincerely hope not.  But the attitude that I'm seeing here suggests that maybe it is.

Police brutality is out of control in this country.  If annoying a few people at an Apple store is what it takes to get the message across, then I say "wonderful!"  But I'm afraid that with your attitudes it won't do any good.  Eric Garner was murdered by a police officer.  Michael Brown was murdered by a police officer.  Hundreds of other people are murdered every year by police officers in this country. 

In Germany in 2011, police fired 85 bullets.  In America, police had murdered 85 people before March ended that year.  The cops murdered more people in Utah last year than any street gang.  And every time, they get away with it.

There are two options here.  Either police stop murdering people and getting away with it, or police blood WILL run in the streets.  Pick option one, it's better for us all.

And no, I'm not going to go out and start shooting cops.  But this is NOT the time to be an Apple fanboi, pressure your legislators to bring the cops under control, or this country will see a shitstorm like it hasn't seen since the 1860s.  As to the boxes, we're still at soap.  Help take it to ballot, jury isn't working, and none of us will benefit if it progresses to ammo.

So kozchris, what previous or current crime did this man commit that you think warrants what happened to him?

Then there was the internal cavity search of two women by the roadside without changing gloves, as if by the roadside weren't enough.

• Reply 42 of 365
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    ascii wrote: »
    Protesting is ok but you shouldn't take over someone's business. Your right to voice your opinion does not cancel out their right to do business. You should do it in a public park or something like that.

Protests in parks don't get reported.
  • Reply 43 of 365
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Umm, 'Die-In' you say. You'd be wanting the Microsoft store for that. You can usually find them real close to Apple's stores. In fact, they are outfitted nearly the same interior-wise but over there, you'll have all the room you need to lie down for your idiocy! No customers will be in your way. Just a helpful hint for the "Hands-Up" crowd. And you'd be in good company at the Microsoft store, as working on their products leads one to throw their "Hands-Up" in frustration! Have a nice day.
  • Reply 44 of 365
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Respect those in authority over you and those companies who have built this country and they will respect you. Funny how that works.

You're not required to surrender your civil rights when interacting with police. That's what the controversy is about. Despite their authority, the police aren't really intended to be judge, jury, and executioner.

• Reply 45 of 365
    This is a case of bad publicity being good publicity.
  • Reply 46 of 365

I TOTALLY see how laying on the floor of computer/phone store will change the way a police officer handles a situation...

Said not a single f#¢king person ever.

These idiots are almost as bad as the protesters blocking the freeway so innocent people can't get to work on time. Completely misguided and stupid.

• Reply 47 of 365
    v900v900 Posts: 101member
    I hereby solemnly swear that I'll do a little citizen activism of my own, if I ever encounter these idiots while Im in the store.

And I don't care if I get a fine for indecent exposure with my piss-in. If worst come to worst, I'll just have to tell the judge that I really needed to go, but the way to the bathroom was blocked with moron all over the floor.

PROTIP: If you want to have a protest, and insist on doing it in a place that has nothing to do with your cause, and bother their customers. AT LEAST don't call it a die-in. Its not the summer of 68 in Berkeley you idiots. I don't care if it's a die-in, a teach-in or a love-in, it's an idiotic name for a protest, and only gives people the impression that Marxists and hippies haven't had an original thought for over four decades.
  • Reply 48 of 365

The country I'm from is fairly small but got a surprisingly huge Apple fanbase. I prefer to read in this site about Apple though, as the knowledge and expertice found on this forum is very impresive and educational to read about. It thus saddess me to read many of the comments found here. For me Apple is one of the foremost companies on the planet for human rights, and it's not nice to read about how both the victim and the protesters are scum. I wouldn't be surpriced if Tim Cook made a statement about this giving the protest Apple's support.  

• Reply 49 of 365
    v900v900 Posts: 101member
    markbyrn wrote: »
    This is a case of bad publicity being good publicity.

Not really. It's effective if you want to promote your little known cause. How white racism is killing butterflies in Ecuador or whatever.

But it's not like people haven't heard about these two deaths, now is it?

So at this point, I guess they're sticking it to the man by preventing evil, racists from having their iPhone fixed. And putting a stop to all the fascists who were planning on getting some christmas shopping done that day.

Surely it's obvious to anybody with a grounding in Marxist dialectic how this will make the racist, capitalist powerstructure (and their running dog-lackeys) tremble in their boots!
  • Reply 50 of 365
    blitz1 wrote: »
    jkichline wrote: »
    I really don't understand what capitalism has to do with the problem. But then again I'm white and don't quite understand what the problem is. I've had some black friends lecture me on white privilege and how I had it easy and stuff. My mom was a waitress and my dad was a maintenance man and they worked hard to give us a better life. I was able to go to college and started my own businesses. Nobody ever gave me anything. We didn't resort to crime and we certainly respected those placed in authority over us.

These protestors seem to be following the crowd in this ridiculous notion that police shouldn't have any authority. If a cop tells you to get down or stop or whatever, you do it! That's the whole point. Should people be killed for selling cigarettes? No. But this wouldn't have happened if the guy was a law-abiding citizen. I don't care what race you are. Respect those in authority over you and those companies who have built this country and they will respect you. Funny how that works.

If you are unhappy with your lot in life, change it. Go to school and learn how to program or do something worthy of a career. People complain that Apple only hires white men, but I've yet to meet many others who are qualified for the type of work Apple needs in that regard. Equality needs to be accomplished from both directions.

The real issue is that some need to be more law-abiding than others.
    That because of what they wear, because of their skin color, their looks, ... some are more suspect than others.

The issue really isn't about being law-abiding.
    The issue is racism and discrimination.

I sincerely congratulate you on fulfilling your goals with no help whatsoever. The thing is, being white, no one has ever questioned you, your motives or your acts. If you have a different skin color, you don't have that luxury. You're being tested: always, on whatever you do  and by everybody. That's the privilege you're benefiting from: not being tested again and again and again.

BTW: there are exceptions, even large ones, I know that. The rule of thumb still stands

No.
  • Reply 51 of 365
    The milk of human kindness sure turned sour in this thread. A human being died following police action. Based on his autopsy, the coroner said the case was a homicide. The Grand Jury was asked if if this death merited a trial on at least Excessive use of Force. It said no. In the GJ's opinion, there may have been a homicide, but nobody did it.

I look on as a white dude from a foreign, and slightly less racist, country and am just amazed at how blind, cold and inhumane the reaction to tragedy can be on a technology thread that places inconvenience ahead of outrage at the perversion of a legal system.

You've got a great future when that system turns its guns on you, as perverted systems tend to do.
  • Reply 52 of 365
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    I should fight with cops and find out if I get hurt or die... Apparently if you resist arrest in some cities, they must just let you go. These half suicidal guys are something else. At the same time, folks don't become beat cops because they could have otherwise been theoretical physicists. The interrmittent bad outcomes are fairly predictable to anyone with a brain. These represent selection bias events and nothing overtly can be "fixed" about that system.
  • Reply 53 of 365
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcallows View Post

why don't protestors ever go to skid row or south central to do their demonstrations?

So you can't ignore them.

• Reply 54 of 365
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hamiltonrrwatch View Post

Interesting the lack of protestors when things like this happen.

Because it wasn't the police who did that, but criminals.  

Why don't you create a Tea Party rally or watch Fox News?  They are for white's who feel victimized and need to cry it out.

You can protest at the rally.  Make some signs! Make it happen! 

• Reply 55 of 365
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hamiltonrrwatch View Post

Interesting the lack of protestors when things like this happen.

I agree 100%. Black on white stories get buried by the media. I think they only promote stories based on whether it would gain the attention of Al Sharpton...more ratings and clicks that way when the racial card is applied. 

You can add this to the list of media biased articles. Funny how there's no "black" or "white" labels applied to the victims when the perp is black. The only way you know that is to look at the photo, though.

• Reply 56 of 365
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pontavignon View Post

The milk of human kindness sure turned sour in this thread. A human being died following police action. Based on his autopsy, the coroner said the case was a homicide. The Grand Jury was asked if if this death merited a trial on at least Excessive use of Force. It said no. In the GJ's opinion, there may have been a homicide, but nobody did it.

I look on as a white dude from a foreign, and slightly less racist, country and am just amazed at how blind, cold and inhumane the reaction to tragedy can be on a technology thread that places inconvenience ahead of outrage at the perversion of a legal system.

You've got a great future when that system turns its guns on you, as perverted systems tend to do.

Every organization will have a small percentage of bad eggs, so incidents will always happen. Therefore you can not judge a system by the occurence of such incidents, you can only judge it by what happens after, what policies and procedures it has in place for when one does happen. Is it hushed up and brushed under the carpet (in which case it is a bad system) or is there an open investigation involving juries, standards of evidence, and as much objectivity as possible?

This US system is much closer to the later than the former, so your "perverted system" comment is not really justified.

• Reply 57 of 365
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member

On some level it is good to see these younger folks seemingly starting to care about causes larger than themselves. This is a positive change as long as they stay smart about it and don't resort to thuggery and pack mentality. It's one thing to be pointing a finger of blame against what is wrong, but until you lift a finger and actually do something to help enact positive change and take positive action you're simply a spectator. At some point being against things isn't good enough, you have to be "for" something and commit yourself to making it happen. If we don't see the positive dialogs start to emerge from these acts of protest and civil disobedience then it's all a big waste of time and opportunity lost.

• Reply 58 of 365
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Based on his autopsy, the coroner said the case was a homicide.

Homicide simply means killed by another person, whether it was legal, or illegal is up to the courts.
  • Reply 59 of 365
    Then the courts should have been allowed to have a look at the case, in a public trial. Instead, the Grand Jury, which is not a court, decided in closed sessions that there was no merit to sending it to the courts for trial. It is the denial of a review by the courts that has people riled up.
  • Reply 60 of 365
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blazar View Post

At the same time, folks don't become beat cops because they could have otherwise been theoretical physicists. 

Next time you are threatened by criminal hoodlums, call a physicist. They can calculate the probability that you will be assaulted.