Opinion: Touch ID improves iPad security at cost of Smart Cover unlock convenience

Comments

• Reply 21 of 129
    This article is about a DUH moment the author had. DUH. Smart Cover Unlock is an inherently insecure way to unlock the iPad. It is mutually exclusive to TouchID unlock. It is also mutually exclusive with password unlock. DUH moment. DUH. So obvious. DUH no need to complain. DUH.
  • Reply 22 of 129
    It would be nice if the iPad could use its FaceTime camera to quickly identify the user after opening the smart cover and unlock if it recognizes the owner, falling back to TouchID if it can't or doesn't recognize the owner. iPhoto had a face recognition feature (RIP iPhoto).
  • Reply 23 of 129
    All you need to do is just to place your finger on the home button after lifting the Smart Cover. Is this worth a whole article?

You don't need to even press on the button, just make contact with it.
  • Reply 24 of 129
    I can't believe we have to pick up the iPad, that's 3 seconds I will never get back! Innovation my ass!
  • Reply 25 of 129
    What a whine gut! As my old Dad used to say, " he would bitch if they hung him with a new rope."
  • Reply 26 of 129
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    What a pointless article. It takes, what, a second or less to unlock your device using Touch ID? There are plenty more worthy things to write an editorial about. I'll just give a few suggestions:

[LIST]
    [*] Apple needs to make 32GB the base storage for all iOS devices.
    [*] 2GB RAM should be standard on any new iOS devices (and probably should have been with iPhone 6/6 Plus). I guarantee you the next iPhones will have 2GB RAM.
    [*] Apple needs a VP of App Store responsible for app approval/editorial, App Store curation and developer relations.
    [*] iPad needs innovation beyond making it thinner. 64-bit is great but how well is it being utilized/advertised? Apple has 10 digital pen patents/patent applications. Why have we not seen one for the iPad yet? Why cede that market to Microsoft and Surface?
    [*] Apple should seriously think about changing their policy of tying new iOS software to iPhone releases. Clearly iOS 7 and iOS 8 did not ship when they were ready but rather when the new phones had to ship. Apple is all about creating the best products and best consumer experience. Software not ready for prime time doesn't provide that experience. For me iOS 9 should be about two things. 1) fixing bugs and polishing iOS 8 into smooth, reliable bug free software. A lot of UI changes and features were added in the last two years. Apple needs to polsih what they have before adding a lot of new features. 2) any changes necessary to support ?Watch SDK and bringing native apps to ?Watch.
    [/LIST]

These are just a few examples off the top of my head if AI is looking for a problem to editorialize about.
  • Reply 27 of 129
    I find this article bizarre.

I had an iPad and iPad 2 for four years. I've only had an iPad Air 2 for a few weeks, yet I love Touch ID and would never want to type a password instead. I wish I could use Touch ID for writing reviews on the App Store.

If the author is so pained by putting his finger on the Home button for a second, I suggest that he doesn't bother putting the screen to sleep. Alternatively, if he never takes his iPad anywhere, why not just turn off Touch ID?

This is a solution in search of a problem.

IMO this is as bizarre as people who complained about Apple ditching the physical mute switch on the new iPad Air. Especially considering Apple added a dedicated switch in control center. It takes me one or two seconds tops to turn mute switch on and off. Complete non-issue.
  • Reply 28 of 129
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Talk about a first-world problem!  Here's a suggestion: when at home don't cover the screen with the smart cover at all.  When you open the smart cover to interact with the iPad, aren't you likely to... touch it to actually do something?  So touch the little round thing at the bottom or side first.  OMG, 2 extra seconds.

Frankly anyone who doesn't use a passcode on the devices is just asking for trouble.  A clever bad guy with access to your email for a few minutes can do more damage to you than someone who steals your credit card.  TouchID makes it so much more convenient to unlock your device that more people to lock them.  Apple did the right thing here.  

• Reply 29 of 129
    Haha now people are complaining about TOO MUCH security. God forbid you have to spend .5 seconds unlocking your iPad with Touch ID, first world problems. Just because you've never been robbed doesn't mean it can't happen to you.
  • Reply 30 of 129
    It was different before it was the same.

Same difference. ????
  • Reply 31 of 129
    This is even beyond being a first world problem. Picture in the doctionary for the definition of inconvienience shows a picture of this person and his horrific problem. This is so ludicrous that I can't even understand what he is talking about. Next he will be complaining that he has to actually touch his iPad to use it.
  • Reply 32 of 129
    rogifan wrote: »
    I find this article bizarre.

I had an iPad and iPad 2 for four years. I've only had an iPad Air 2 for a few weeks, yet I love Touch ID and would never want to type a password instead. I wish I could use Touch ID for writing reviews on the App Store.

If the author is so pained by putting his finger on the Home button for a second, I suggest that he doesn't bother putting the screen to sleep. Alternatively, if he never takes his iPad anywhere, why not just turn off Touch ID?

This is a solution in search of a problem.

IMO this is as bizarre as people who complained about Apple ditching the physical mute switch on the new iPad Air. Especially considering Apple added a dedicated switch in control center. It takes me one or two seconds tops to turn mute switch on and off. Complete non-issue.

The mute switch removal is a pain, because if you forget whether you've muted it or not, you have to check by unlocking, going to the control centre etc. whereas with the physical switch, you could simply glance at the side and flick it if necessary.

So yes, I hope they bring the physical switch back for the big iPad. I'm sure they only removed it to save four grams of weight anyway.
  • Reply 33 of 129
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

WOW, someone FINALLY said something about this. It's by far my biggest gripe with the iPad AIr 2, and I was pretty shocked when I realized that it is impossible to use Touch ID with appstore/3rd party apps, without also using it or a passcode on the lockscreen. My iPad is shared with other family members in the house, and a passcode isn't used, opting for the auto wake smartcover feature. I was looking forward to using Touch ID for downloads and signing in/out of apps, as well as others in my family, but unfortunately can't make use it as adding security to lockscreen is a no-go. I REALLY hope Apple reconsiders this for the iPad, which is often used only in the home, by multiple people, and does not need to have a lockscreen security. 

• Reply 34 of 129
    This is a problem for me even on the iPhone, I would at least love to disable if for about 5 mins but you either have to use pass code for that, if you use Touch ID it immediately locks back.

This is a pain, location based lock/ unlock is more suitable according to my view too while iTunes should always ask for Touch ID
  • Reply 35 of 129
    The mute switch removal is a pain, because if you forget whether you've muted it or not, you have to check by unlocking, going to the control centre etc. whereas with the physical switch, you could simply glance at the side and flick it if necessary.

So yes, I hope they bring the physical switch back for the big iPad. I'm sure they only removed it to save four grams of weight anyway.

You don't have to unlock your device to use control center.
  • Reply 36 of 129
    slurpy wrote: »
    WOW, someone FINALLY said something about this. It's by far my biggest gripe with the iPad AIr 2, and I was pretty shocked when I realized that it is impossible to use Touch ID with appstore/3rd party apps, without also using it or a passcode on the lockscreen. My iPad is shared with other family members in the house, and a passcode isn't used, opting for the auto wake smartcover feature. I was looking forward to using Touch ID for downloads and signing in/out of apps, as well as others in my family, but unfortunately can't make use it as adding security to lockscreen is a no-go. I REALLY hope Apple reconsiders this for the iPad, which is often used only in the home, by multiple people, and does not need to have a lockscreen security. 

I'm just waiting for someone to say what's normally said when people request user accounts, namely that iPad is a single user device and Apple wants everyone to have their own iPad. ;)

Personally I think Apple should be able to come up with a compromise on iPad where Touch ID can be enabled for everything but lock screen.
  • Reply 37 of 129
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    rogifan wrote: »
    What a pointless article. It takes, what, a second or less to unlock your device using Touch ID? There are plenty more worthy things to write an editorial about. I'll just give a few suggestions:

• Apple needs to make 32GB the base storage for all iOS devices.
    • 2GB RAM should be standard on any new iOS devices (and probably should have been with iPhone 6/6 Plus). I guarantee you the next iPhones will have 2GB RAM.
    • Apple needs a VP of App Store responsible for app approval/editorial, App Store curation and developer relations.
    • iPad needs innovation beyond making it thinner. 64-bit is great but how well is it being utilized/advertised? Apple has 10 digital pen patents/patent applications. Why have we not seen one for the iPad yet? Why cede that market to Microsoft and Surface?
    • Apple should seriously think about changing their policy of tying new iOS software to iPhone releases. Clearly iOS 7 and iOS 8 did not ship when they were ready but rather when the new phones had to ship. Apple is all about creating the best products and best consumer experience. Software not ready for prime time doesn't provide that experience. For me iOS 9 should be about two things. 1) fixing bugs and polishing iOS 8 into smooth, reliable bug free software. A lot of UI changes and features were added in the last two years. Apple needs to polsih what they have before adding a lot of new features. 2) any changes necessary to support ?Watch SDK and bringing native apps to ?Watch.

These are just a few examples off the top of my head if AI is looking for a problem to editorialize about.

• Truly integrating keychain, so it works with apps too and gets a separate settings entry to really manage the keys and be able to search them (not a setting within safari). Currently web apps function better than real apps, this is insane!
    • Getting rid of the settings app in its current form, the use of ten level deep menus is insane and should be replaced by a completely configurable GUI arrangement.
    • The iPad keyboard is insanely cumbersome and should be user configurable (plugins are not acceptable due to security), the biggest hindrance is being required to switch the keyboard to be able to enter numbers. In landscape mode the lack of this is ridiculous. The keyboard should instead be a copy of Apples hardware wireless keyboards.
      It's also necessary to be able to make the keyboard almost transparant and be able to move and resize (pinch) the keyboard.
    • I almost forgot: the iPad should be at least A4 sized and have no artificial constraints. So it should be possible to use Xcode for example and to use it as a developers machine. In a few years time this will be the norm (with or without Apple).
  • Reply 38 of 129
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

They're never bringing it back, and if you honestly think there's a chance there might, that just reflects on how grotesquely poor your insight is about the company, and how little you understand about how they operate (not surprisingly). And that's pretty sad, considering your post count here. 

And no, anyone who has a shred of sense can see that weight wasn't the main priority of removing the switch. More likely:

1. It's obvious Apple does not like extra physical controls

2. The switch is redundant, barely used, and does not deserve to exist solely for the single function it serves

3. It's extra moving parts that can be worn out, and extra components inside the device which add complexity

4. It takes away from the simplicity, beauty, and streamlined nature of the device

5. It probably was an obstacle to increased thinness (although this reason is not as important)

All of which supersede "weight" which I'm sure is completely negligible. Anyone who has followed Apple for even the shortest time can see the obviousness of the above factors- except you, of course, and as usual.  

• Reply 39 of 129
    Haha now people are complaining about TOO MUCH security. God forbid you have to spend .5 seconds unlocking your iPad with Touch ID, first world problems. Just because you've never been robbed doesn't mean it can't happen to you.

(((Try again)))

(((Try again)))

(((Try again)))

Enter your passcode:
    (7) (8) (9)
    (4) (5) (6)
    (1) (2) (3)
    Clear (0) Delete
  • Reply 40 of 129
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    slurpy wrote: »
    ... I was looking forward to using Touch ID for downloads and signing in/out of apps, as well as others in my family, but unfortunately can't make use it as adding security to lockscreen is a no-go. ...

Why?