Opinion: Touch ID improves iPad security at cost of Smart Cover unlock convenience

Comments

• Reply 61 of 129
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    There's a lot of ways they need to begin to differentiate iOS between the iPad and iPhone, and the fact that they haven't done so yet is confusing and frustrating. Why the iPhone 6 Plus got a better keyboard and we got the same old iPad keyboard was the first bit of confusion...

There's a bunch of great 3rd party keyboard options!!!
  • Reply 62 of 129
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    Very good article. Another annoyance worth pointing out is the top versus side on/off button on the iPad versus the iPhone. This would not have -- I can't believe I am actually about to say this (but I guess there's always a first time) -- happened under Steve.

I hat the iPhone 6 power button location! The top was better. I've lost track how many times I've turn off my iPhone when trying to control the volume!
  • Reply 63 of 129
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    jbdragon wrote: »
    I hat the iPhone 6 power button location! The top was better. I've lost track how many times I've turn off my iPhone when trying to control the volume!

I dislike it on the iPhone 6 Plus because it's not further down on the side.
  • Reply 64 of 129
    Waiting for follow-up article, "Apple missing huge opportunity by not developing Smart Covers for lefties!" Huge, I tell you!

How do fringe use cases get turned into articles at AI?
  • Reply 65 of 129
    I am single without kids and also have no need to lock my iPad with Touch ID but would like to use it for purchases. If a visitor comes over, and someone uses my iPad I'm not paranoid like some people on here. Not everybody stores government nuclear weapons codes on their iPad.
  • Reply 66 of 129
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

How do fringe use cases get turned into articles at AI?

From what was being said around the time of TouchID's debut, many (possibly most) users of iPhones weren't using any password or PIN to secure their iPhone.  I don't know what the stats are for the iPad, but I'm sure they'll be along similar lines, or maybe even worse, since the iPad is likely to be a less mobile and vulnerable device than the iPhone.

Some of those may well have changed to using TouchID now because the convenience has won them over, but others may well have continued not using a password or PIN because they simply don't feel they need it.

Where's the evidence that this is a fringe use case?

• Reply 67 of 129
    Behind the last picture, there are three options. The first one says to disable Touch ID for iPad unlock, but leaves it on for 3rd party apps and iTunes. SOLUTION FOUND
  • Reply 68 of 129
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clayp711 View Post

Behind the last picture, there are three options. The first one says to disable Touch ID for iPad unlock, but leaves it on for 3rd party apps and iTunes. SOLUTION FOUND

Good point.

But how does each option effect ?Pay?  (genuine question, no ?Pay in the UK yet)

• Reply 69 of 129

Agree completely.

I conformed to the new way of unlocking for about a month before turning it (regretfully) off.

My iPad seldom leaves home so it does not need to be unlocked. And unlocking is just annoying at that point. For example using it for cooking, with recipe app and it auto locks. Now you have to wash and dry your appropriate digit to get it unlocked again (or use the passcode..) vs using a knuckle to swipe it..

I want TouchID on for purchases etc.

I want a fast way to toggle between enabling TouchID / Passcode for unlocking (versus just swiping or opening the smart cover.) Then when I take it away from home it is easy to switch to locked mode. A geofence solution (or even simpler when it is not in range of the home wifi...) would be nice. 

Yes this is just a small thing. But Apple builds its products and reputation by sweating out the small details. 

• Reply 70 of 129

It's pathetic to see the number of people here getting snarky about this being a 'first world problem.'

News Flash #1: That pretty much describes most of the blogs here on AI. Blogs about which lots of people regularly get bent out of shape.

News Flash #2: Whenever there's a 'third world problem' type blog here on AI, it's not long before bigots extremists and monomaniacs end up hijacking the thread.

News Flash #3: Apple is a great company with great products and great service. And a great stock. No other company comes close. But that does not mean it couldn't be better, or that we should not wish or opine for it to be better. I wish people would stop reacting so childishly whenever someone brings up opportunities for improvement. You'd think the blogger had kicked their pet.

• Reply 71 of 129
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    It's pathetic to see the number of people here getting snarky about this being a 'first world problem.

I'd like better terms than 1st world, 2nd world, etc., but I don't know of other terms nor can I think or a better option that appears less bias.
  • Reply 72 of 129

Yes, I read the article I guess I just don't understand what he's complaining about. I have Touch ID enabled with a Passcode on my iPad Air 2, and I use an Apple Smart Cover. I have it set to require a passcode immediately, rather than an X hour or X minute delay. I've set it this way because placing my thumb on the Home button require just about Zero effort. With my iPad 2 I had it set for 4 hours because typing in my passcode became redundant. However that left my iPad "open" for business for 4 hours. One day I left the iPad in my doctors waiting room, it was several hours before I realized my mistake, when I got back to retrieve it an older gentleman was playing with it, he told me he thought the doctor had provided it along with the various magazines in the office. He did no harm, but he could have. All my information was available to him or anyone who picked it up. With the iPad Air 2 I don't have to worry about that, because it's locked, but with a touch of MY finger it's open.

Sorry I still don't see the point to the authors whine.

• Reply 73 of 129
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by knowitall View Post

• Truly integrating keychain, so it works with apps too and gets a separate settings entry to really manage the keys and be able to search them (not a setting within safari). Currently web apps function better than real apps, this is insane!

• Getting rid of the settings app in its current form, the use of ten level deep menus is insane and should be replaced by a completely configurable GUI arrangement.

• The iPad keyboard is insanely cumbersome and should be user configurable (plugins are not acceptable due to security), the biggest hindrance is being required to switch the keyboard to be able to enter numbers. In landscape mode the lack of this is ridiculous. The keyboard should instead be a copy of Apples hardware wireless keyboards.

It's also necessary to be able to make the keyboard almost transparant and be able to move and resize (pinch) the keyboard.

• I almost forgot: the iPad should be at least A4 sized and have no artificial constraints. So it should be possible to use Xcode for example and to use it as a developers machine. In a few years time this will be the norm (with or without Apple).

I agree with you on the first 3, but regarding the bold part: have you tried "pinching out" on the iPad keyboard.  Something like what you're asking for is already present.

• Reply 74 of 129
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Why not?

You can have up to five people use Touch ID on one iPad.

And you could set the passcode to "0000" as a work around.  But really everyone should be locking their devices before a "bad guy" gets his hands on it for 5 minutes.

• Reply 75 of 129
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It's pathetic to see the number of people here getting snarky about this being a 'first world problem.'

News Flash #1: That pretty much describes most of the blogs here on AI. Blogs about which lots of people regularly get bent out of shape.

News Flash #2: Whenever there's a 'third world problem' type blog here on AI, it's not long before bigots extremists and monomaniacs end up hijacking the thread.

News Flash #3: Apple is a great company with great products and great service. And a great stock. No other company comes close. But that does not mean it couldn't be better, or that we should not wish or opine for it to be better. I wish people would stop reacting so childishly whenever someone brings up opportunities for improvement. You'd think the blogger had kicked their pet.

I was going to refer to this article as a "zeroth-world problem" since it puts even most first-world problems to shame.  Yes, most articles here are addressing "first-world problems" and I don't have a problem with that.  But this one was just an order of magnitude beyond trivial.

The other problem with this article is the completely distracting and confusing emphasis on the smart cover.  As I've been reading these comments, it's clear that the complaint is simply "I don't want to lock my device, but I want to use TouchID for purchases."  That's at least closer to reasonable, but focusing on the stupid Smart Cover makes it totally cuckoo.

• Reply 76 of 129

Yes, I read the article I guess I just don't understand what he's complaining about. I have Touch ID enabled with a Passcode on my iPad Air 2, and I use an Apple Smart Cover. I have it set to require a passcode immediately, rather than an X hour or X minute delay. I've set it this way because placing my thumb on the Home button require just about Zero effort. With my iPad 2 I had it set for 4 hours because typing in my passcode became redundant. However that left my iPad "open" for business for 4 hours. One day I left the iPad in my doctors waiting room, it was several hours before I realized my mistake, when I got back to retrieve it an older gentleman was playing with it, he told me he thought the doctor had provided it along with the various magazines in the office. He did no harm, but he could have. All my information was available to him or anyone who picked it up. With the iPad Air 2 I don't have to worry about that, because it's locked, but with a touch of MY finger it's open.

Sorry I still don't see the point to the authors whine.

Apart from your doctoral anecdote, my experience mirrors yours to the letter.

The 4 hours, the change to immediate, iPad 2 to iPad Air 2 etcetera.

Not so much a storm in a teacup as a typhoon in an eggcup.
  • Reply 77 of 129
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    So on a device equipped with TouchID security and purchases are not separable? Which I'm guessing is the authors point. Huh, I'd have to poke at my 6 plus to see. Okay on my iPhone 6 plus there are three separate choices that can be enabled individually under "Use Touch ID For" iphone unlock, Apple Pay and iTunes & App Store. So based on that the smart case, with Touch ID turned off for unlock, would function as desired? Though as that's a phone it could be implemented differently I suppose. My iPad Air, without Touch ID, isn't helpful there.
  • Reply 78 of 129
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It was different before it was the same.

Which is exactly where we are now. Why can't the next iPad move the switch to the side?

• Reply 79 of 129
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 80 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clayp711 View Post

That's not the solution.  You can't turn it on at all for anything without a passcode.  If the author did as you suggest, he'd need to re-enter the passcode every time he opened the smart cover (outside of the time out window).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

There's no good reason why these cant be separated.

Actually there's a good reason why they aren't separated.  The fingerprint data is encrypted in the secure enclave and only matchable when a passcode is used to match a subsequent scan.  This is why you need to enter your passcode every time you restart your device.  I suppose Apple could change the way they're doing Touch ID to allow this to happen by storing the fingerprint data outside of the secure enclave, but that's a huge trade-off in security to enable this feature.