Opinion: Touch ID improves iPad security at cost of Smart Cover unlock convenience

Comments

• Reply 81 of 129
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    (((Try again)))

(((Try again)))

(((Try again)))

Enter your passcode:
    (7) (8) (9)
    (4) (5) (6)
    (1) (2) (3)
    Clear (0) Delete

Exactly.

If there was as little as a minute grace time TouchID be a lot more convenient, with a minimal reduction in security. Often my iPhone the screen turns off when I'm using it, and I have to re-wake it, which annoyingly requires my passcode or ID. I'm not sure if the texture of my thumb varies wildly or what, but it's usually quicker to just slide to unlock and enter the passcode, not bothering with TouchID at all. If it wasn't a core feature of the 5s, I'd probably turn it off and use a passcode all the time, with a 5 or 10 minute grace time between entries.

It seems odd that Apple allows a grace time between asking for passcodes, but not fingerprints. One of the first things I did with my 5s was look to see if I could increase the unlock grace time, and was disappointed that I couldn't choose anything other than "Immediate".
  • Reply 82 of 129
    9:28 PM EST... It just occurred to me this article was written specifically to get hits for AI this weekend. I wonder how many comments AI has projected will be written and how Neil will compensated for the hits.
  • Reply 83 of 129
    elijahg wrote: »
    Exactly.

If there was as little as a minute grace time TouchID be a lot more convenient, with a minimal reduction in security. Often my iPhone the screen turns off when I'm using it, and I have to re-wake it, which annoyingly requires my passcode or ID. I'm not sure if the texture of my thumb varies wildly or what, but it's usually quicker to just slide to unlock and enter the passcode, not bothering with TouchID at all. If it wasn't a core feature of the 5s, I'd probably turn it off and use a passcode all the time, with a 5 or 10 minute grace time between entries.

It seems odd that Apple allows a grace time between asking for passcodes, but not fingerprints. One of the first things I did with my 5s was look to see if I could increase the unlock grace time, and was disappointed that I couldn't choose anything other than "Immediate".

TouchID hates one of my thumbs, and I had to reprogram one of my index fingers after it stopped accepting it completely. It works, but easily fails to read if my fingers are cold, moist, oily, too hot, or water-logged (like after a shower). So basically, there's a fifty-fifty chance I have to go through the "try again, try again, try again, fail" dance. Not spectacular.
  • Reply 84 of 129
    mavismavis Posts: 25member
    9:28 PM EST... It just occurred to me this article was written specifically to get hits for AI this weekend. I wonder how many comments AI has projected will be written and how Neil will compensated for the hits.

Yeah, how ridiculous for them to want more traffic!
  • Reply 85 of 129

So this is AI on the weekends now... troll articles? Seriously, it's a disservice to some of the really good journalism you've done--especially discrediting Apple bashers in the finance community--when you headline crap like this that's not even fact-checked. Geez.

I'll make this relatively quick: Apple's Smart Cover never had an "unlock" feature. It has a "wake" feature. Different. Thing. Entirely. If you used a passcode prior to Touch ID, opening the Smart Cover didn't unlock your iPad--it simply brought you to the passcode entry screen. But now, instead of punching in a number of at least four digits, you simply do a half-second press on one button--this is a problem??

If the author wants his Smart Cover to bypass security, that's easy: turn off Touch ID. Then turn off the Passcode. Voila! Your Smart Cover now has (rolls eyes) its unlock feature back again. Opening the cover witll let you or anyone else who might pick up your iPad jump right into it. Good luck!

• Reply 86 of 129
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member
    This half-second inconvenience (assuming full motor skills) is less than pre-touch ID iPads, where the smart cover goes to the passcode screen. The smart cover was just to have one less thing to touch to wake up you iPad, and it still works. The pass code is an option.

However, this article has a shred of merit that is an indicator of the lack of thought or care that has been going in to releases since 10.7. It is far more bothersome that you can%u2019t use TouchID selectively to make purchases via the AppStore but cannot turn it off for the lock screen. Such small usability errors are only getting worse, such as the default keyboard in iOS has conflicting %u201Con%u201D state indicators: look at shift and backspace and note the mixed feedback, or the fact that in forms the keyboard can obscure the field your are entering if you increase the size of the font, etc.

This TouchID annoyance is nothing compared to another oversight in iOS with bluetooth: in order to disconnect any bluetooth device while others are connected, you either have to power cycle the device (and hope it doesn%u2019t reconnect to the iOS device) or turn off bluetooth entirely and then you have to reconnect to each bluetooth device which is often the case because of auto-reconnect.

Add to that the control center doesn%u2019t allow you to control nor inform you of much but the on and off state of BT & WiFI, and you have a mess if you want to change your headset from your iOS device to your Mac while your iOS device is also connected to a keyboard. It is a 4 step process of (1)BT off on iOS host, (2)connect peripheral to new BT host, (3) prior BT host on, (4)connect BT peripheral to prior BT host. This doesn%u2019t count if you have to open the System prefs at anytime if the periperal device will not try to connect on its own without power cycling it. It should be 2 steps of (1)selective BT peripheral disconnect & (2) connect to new device that it should be. That problem is more worthy of an editorial if anything is worthy of an editorial.
  • Reply 87 of 129
    elijahg wrote: »
    Exactly.

TouchID hates one of my thumbs, and I had to reprogram one of my index fingers after it stopped accepting it completely. It works, but easily fails to read if my fingers are cold, moist, oily, too hot, or water-logged (like after a shower). So basically, there's a fifty-fifty chance I have to go through the "try again, try again, try again, fail" dance. Not spectacular.

When I first got my iPad Air 2, Touch ID was pretty hit and miss like your experience.

I wiped my prints and started again, and set five different prints: two for two digits in different positions and one for another. Since then, I've had possibly 100% success.
  • Reply 88 of 129
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Wow it works for me 99% of the time. And I live in a cold weather state where my fingers are usually dry and cracked. The only time I get try again is if I've just come out of the pool or taken a long hot bath and my fingers have been in water for a long time.
  • Reply 89 of 129
    mavis wrote: »
    Yeah, how ridiculous for them to want more traffic!

Thr ridulous part is complaining that Touch ID decreases the speed of activating an iPad with the lifting of a Smart Cover. The speed is decreased with a password-protected iPad too. Getting more traffic is fine, but at the very least do it with an article that is not stupid.
  • Reply 90 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

WOW, someone FINALLY said something about this. It's by far my biggest gripe with the iPad AIr 2, and I was pretty shocked when I realized that it is impossible to use Touch ID with appstore/3rd party apps, without also using it or a passcode on the lockscreen. My iPad is shared with other family members in the house, and a passcode isn't used, opting for the auto wake smartcover feature. I was looking forward to using Touch ID for downloads and signing in/out of apps, as well as others in my family, but unfortunately can't make use it as adding security to lockscreen is a no-go. I REALLY hope Apple reconsiders this for the iPad, which is often used only in the home, by multiple people, and does not need to have a lockscreen security. 

I'm just waiting for someone to say what's normally said when people request user accounts, namely that iPad is a single user device and Apple wants everyone to have their own iPad. image

Personally I think Apple should be able to come up with a compromise on iPad where Touch ID can be enabled for everything but lock screen.

Or... TouchID will be used to implement a multi-user interface for the iPad in iOS 9. You touch and you get your environment.

Multi-user on an iPhone seems less useful although someone might want to have two environments (home/work?) by using left thumb or right thumb.

Otherwise I think I agree with the gripe that TouchID should be optional to wake the iPad without losing the ability to use TouchID in apps and purchases. Seems like an easy fix unless there is some deeper security issue that I can't fathom. Using the 4 hour lock setting is enough for me though.

• Reply 91 of 129
    sirdirsirdir Posts: 187member
    Didn't anybody actually read the article? If you turn off passcode, you lose a lot of functionality (see the picutre with the warning). The author would like to bypass the lockscreen, yet use the finger print as a replacement for a password on as many occasions as possible.
    I wouldn't let my iPad without passcode, but I can see the point
  • Reply 92 of 129
    Wow, everyone relax. No, it does not take much time to place your finger on the home button. But, it does make sense to separate touch ID unlock functionality from password and store purchase functionality. I assume Apple will either do this using a safe places method that relies on Bluetooth, or a simple software option in settings.

Woe to those whose greatest talent in life is complaining.
  • Reply 93 of 129
    Let me rewrite the headline, "Touch ID makes security more appealing than passcode did, so I enabled it, but now I'm annoyed that I have to press the button so long"

In other words, you're comparing having used your iPad without a passcode to using it with Touch ID...... You should be comparing using your iPad WITH passcode to using it with Touch ID. Some people call it using a control and variable. You have a point about separating the functionality, but that's something that's been around since Apple has had passcode lock.
  • Reply 94 of 129
    Crazy
  • Reply 95 of 129
    Let me rewrite the headline, "Touch ID makes security more appealing than passcode did, so I enabled it, but now I'm annoyed that I have to press the button so long"

In other words, you're comparing having used your iPad without a passcode to using it with Touch ID...... You should be comparing using your iPad WITH passcode to using it with Touch ID. Some people call it using a control and variable. You have a point about separating the functionality, but that's something that's been around since Apple has had passcode lock.

EXACTLY
  • Reply 96 of 129
    crowley wrote: »
    Huh?  What's the solution then?  The problem seems pretty clear cut to me.

There's not problem at all. He never put a password before now he complains about Touch ID?? Get out of here. Just turn it off like he had it before Touch ID existed and stop making imaginary problems.

He is the problem in this situation. If he would have lock it before Touch ID existed he would be running in to the same problem that he says he has with Touch ID.

He would have to stop and input the password.

So he is the problem and not touch ID.

He is the one that change behavior not the iPad.
  • Reply 97 of 129
    Are you really that lazy? I mean that you can't handle putting a finger on a sensor for like two seconds.
    Apparently you are. Hey since it never leaves the house, turn Touch ID off. Issue solved
  • Reply 98 of 129
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Guti2068 View Post

There's not problem at all. He never put a password before now he complains about Touch ID?? Get out of here. Just turn it off like he had it before Touch ID existed and stop making imaginary problems.

But then he can't use ?Pay.  That's the problem, right?

• Reply 99 of 129
    crowley wrote: »
    But then he can't use ?Pay.  That's the problem, right?

Nope. The problem is he being lazy and complaining for something that Is not a problem. Either way no matter where you use the iPad it should be password protected. Touch ID or not.
  • Reply 100 of 129
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    malax wrote: »
    I agree with you on the first 3, but regarding the bold part: have you tried "pinching out" on the iPad keyboard.  Something like what you're asking for is already present.

Thanks for the info, I was aware of that.
    No that isn't what I am asking for, the split keyboard has its uses but I would like the entire keyboard to resize (proportionally and without discrete steps) and to be moved wherever I want it, I also would like to be able to scale transparency too.