Ipad receives mail but won't send.

Posted:
in iPad edited October 2015

My Ipad will receive email quickly whether it's on Wi-Fi or 3G, but won't send email anywhere, anytime.  I often get the message that it is sending my outbound messages but it never actually does - they just remain in the outbox.  Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Check that your SMTP server settings are correct. There's a guide here on where to find the settings:

http://www.authsmtp.com/apple-ipad/alternate-port.html

You will likely have a server already setup so you don't need to add one but check the authentication settings are correct. You may need to use a different mail server address for SSL if your mail server is on a shared server.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Hi Peter
    I am having exactly the same problem. How did you resolve it?
    any advice would be much appreciated!
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Hi, I have just gotten my ipad to send email again after struggling for weeks and trying all the online suggestions for this apparently chronic Apple problem. My iphone was working and sending email, so I used the same outgoing email port number from my iphone (465) on the ipad (which was using port 46) and voila, it sent an email. My ipad had been working just fine and it suddenly stopped sending email a couple of months ago. Why can't Apple get this fixed? I've seen complaints about this same issue going back to 2011. Thought I would share this in case it helps someone else.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    The iPad and iPhone email account settings has a general password that does not cover outgoing mail. Click on the outgoing SMTP server. There is a password there. Changing that password fixed the problem for me.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    This guy is exactly correct! I tried a few other suggestions but it was my Outgoing SMTP password that was never changed since I changed my email password a year ago. Go to Settings; then Email; then Outgoing Mail Server; click on SMTP; then click Primary Server to open and get to you're password; then change your password to match your email access password. VOILA!
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Heynoweasy View Post

This guy is exactly correct! I tried a few other suggestions but it was my Outgoing SMTP password that was never changed since I changed my email password a year ago. Go to Settings; then Email; then Outgoing Mail Server; click on SMTP; then click Primary Server to open and get to you're password; then change your password to match your email access password. VOILA!

Absolutely brilliant. My I-pad mini would work fine for four e-mail accounts but for one account, a btinternet account, it would receive but not send. I have spent months searching for a solution. No help of any substance from Apple or BT. Finally it looks like I have a solution from this forum. Thank you.

• Reply 7 of 28
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I have been unable to send mail for several days and it has been making me crazy. I am so glad I found your post. You made my impossible problem go away. You made my day.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by peter brown View Post

My Ipad will receive email quickly whether it's on Wi-Fi or 3G, but won't send email anywhere, anytime.  I often get the message that it is sending my outbound messages but it never actually does - they just remain in the outbox.  Any ideas?

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter brown View Post

Thanks for the tips- bingo it now works.

• Reply 9 of 28
    Thank goodnessfor these forums. Solved our problem in an instant changing the password for outgoing mail.
  • Reply 10 of 28

Please contact support. There you pomugut this problem.

• Reply 11 of 28

My wife got an iPad Mini 6 weeks ago and failure to send e-mail is doing our heads in. None of the suggested solutions have worked for us yet. We even had to re-load hardwire stuff backing up through iTunes, but it's all been a waste of time. I expected better from Apple, but the product is underperforming and their service is pathetic.

• Reply 12 of 28

I have the same problem with my iPhone.

I set up for the work email on iPhone. It received every single message, but couldn't send. 

It says the person I was sending email to refuses to take the email. I tried everyone, and all of them refused. So I really don't know what's going on here. 

• Reply 13 of 28

Also still have this problem on my iphone. Is it because of ios?

• Reply 14 of 28
    wendy59wendy59 Posts: 1member

Thank you so much.  I've been trying to sort this for ages and now I can send on iPad and iPhone again.

• Reply 15 of 28
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    wba1968 wrote: »
    My wife got an iPad Mini 6 weeks ago and failure to send e-mail is doing our heads in. None of the suggested solutions have worked for us yet. We even had to re-load hardwire stuff backing up through iTunes, but it's all been a waste of time. I expected better from Apple, but the product is underperforming and their service is pathetic.

Problem exists between chair and iPad (PEBCAK, updated to reflect the times)...
  • Reply 16 of 28
    wba1968wba1968 Posts: 2member

Could you explain that in plain English, please?

• Reply 17 of 28
    Thank you for the help. After months of not being able to send emails it appears to now be fixed. Followed the steps above. Very happy. :D
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesandBennie View Post

I have the same problem with my iPhone.

I set up for the work email on iPhone. It received every single message, but couldn't send. 

It says the person I was sending email to refuses to take the email. I tried everyone, and all of them refused. So I really don't know what's going on here. 

Problem solved by changing the SMTP server settings as Marvin said. 

Cheers.

• Reply 19 of 28
    i tried this solution and my IPAD air (new) wont send email?
    I have an old Ipad that does send mail, do I need to delete that account?
    I am really frustrated. I updated the password...
  • Reply 20 of 28

I tried the steps through settings and to outgoing mail server but when I go to the Primary Server, the area that shows the password is grayed out.  Actually the entire Outgoing Mail Server area is grayed out so no changes can be made.  Am I missing a step?