Apple Maps gets 9 new Flyover locations, Siri adds international movie times

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    desuserign wrote: »

Might be a nice move if Apple partnered with the National Geographic Society for their map data. That could be a huge boost for Apple Maps accuracy worldwide.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Might be a nice move if Apple partnered with the National Geographic Society for their map data. That could be a huge boost for Apple Maps accuracy worldwide.

What they need to do is like Google and crowdsource their data.

• Reply 23 of 29
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    pfisher wrote: »
    What they need to do is like Google and crowdsource their data.

I'm pretty sure that they already do just that.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    cashxxcashxx Posts: 114member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

You are supposed to see what you are flying over when you go to look at it before Maps sends you to the wrong destination. You won't be lost until you know what you looking for is not there. Then, while you are lost, you can relive what it WOULD have been like if you had actually found it with Apple Maps. Then you can go back to Google Maps, after slapping your forehead/face palm. Maybe also, you will think, well, the flyover was good enough, I don't need to go to the real place - this is my alternative reality program, which is as good as the same things, almost, sort of. And why waste time and gas going to the actual Devil's Tower? Heck, you've seen the movie about it.

SERIOUSLY, with Apple as far behind Google each day (and further and further behind), you think this company would stop wasting its resources on pretty flyovers and actually spend it on finding where you need to go? When they post these jobs for like people to handle the maps transit, why did they wait so long?

I have a great idea for Apple (or any other non Streetview enabled map company: Take satellite data and use your computers to generate artificial street views, like angled (without actually driving a car around) and have our own "cheap" street view. Microsoft is almost there with "Bird's Eye" view.

--> OKAY, THREE YEARS AGO, when I was searching for the Washington State Department of Licensing, at the DOL office, Apple Maps pointed me to another two offices, one not the DOL, 40 MILES AWAY. Google was SPOT ON.

--> Just now, three years later, I did the same search. SAME RESULTS. However, I must credit Google with actually IMPROVING the search experience. Apple blows at maps, overall. Sometimes they are better than Google in precision/accuracy, but overall, Google is better. And I've personally lost faith with Apple.

Also, I just did a search to Costco with Apple Maps. It couldn't find Costco, but did find "Costco Tire Center". Close enough. Well, we have an awesome walking and biking (Interurban) trail that goes almost from our house to Costco that is adjacent to a busy and not safe highway. Apple Maps was unaware of the trail. In fact, it told me, of all possible routes, to walk the dangerous highway. Google knows where this trail is and it recommends it. Also, it gave me options for the fast and longer way for the trail, in case you want to really take the scenic route and avoid car traffic.

Seriously, some people at Apple have their freaking heads in the sand on some of their software issues (only hardware issue I have with apple is their flimsy Lightning cables). 

You would think that a company like Apple would be culling all of the customer complaints online and running some metrics on a dashboard on areas of improvement. However, they continue, with precision, to not address things they should, like Maps. Honestly, I'm not upset with Apple, just greatly disappointed, when we have to resort to other means for our information. Thankfully, Google and others have their act together.

My semi-rant is over. Have a nice day.

P

Funny because I have the exact opposite issue!  I had google take me to wrong locations and till this day labels are still a mile off.   Apple Maps has been more accurate for me over Google Maps.   I still like Google maps for street view and they do have more labels.  But I have never had the problems that some people talk about.  Google had me in the middle of the woods on a back road trying to find a Tractor Supply store, I knew it was wrong, but was curious where it would take me.   Tried the same address on my iPhone and took me right to the store.   All in all I still use my garmin as I have the mounts for it and easier to use than the others.  But my use of both I don't see Apple Maps that bad.  They still need to do work and get stuff moving along faster though!

• Reply 25 of 29
    cashxxcashxx Posts: 114member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cashxx View Post

Not working here, tried most of the locations and don't get the flyover option. Tried computer and phone with 10.10.1 and 8.1.1. In PA if that matters, maybe grabbing from different data center not synced yet? Not sure?

Are the new flyovers working for everyone?    I still don't see them here.

• Reply 26 of 29
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    I love hearing about expanded Siri functionality
  • Reply 27 of 29
    Given the stature of Apple as a whole, Apple Maps is an embarrassment, particularly relative to Google Maps. That Google had a head start is completely irrelevant to the User searching today. There is a lot that works and is presented accurately, but even so, I'd say the main problem being the Search and POI being woeful relative to the Google offering.

FlyOver is nothing beyond a clever gimmick given the paltry list where it's available.

I suppose the quality of the User experience differs depending on where the search is being done. It's got a LOT of room for improvement given my experience in the UK. I also noticed a few months ago that in some parts of New Zealand satellite images are were available in low-res black and white, while Google had high-res StreetView.

I'm reminded of PING (enthusiastically announced by SJ) when I consider AppleMaps. At the moment I'd say it is eroding the image and character of Apple. I think there may be a lot of people out there shouting "it's good, but it's not Carling". (A reference perhaps only Brits may understand?). ;-)
  • Reply 28 of 29

Of course, I'm sure a lot of people here have checked the Devil's mountain "flyover" on GOOGLE maps. It looks great. the Devil's mountain pin in on Devil's mountain, not the  parking lot, it looks real (due to satellite imagery) and there are pictures along the bottom crowdsourced from the web.

Google is great due to crowdsourcing. Oh, and there is street view for the mountain. It has it alls.

• Reply 29 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cashxx View Post

Funny because I have the exact opposite issue!  I had google take me to wrong locations and till this day labels are still a mile off.   Apple Maps has been more accurate for me over Google Maps.   I still like Google maps for street view and they do have more labels.  But I have never had the problems that some people talk about.  Google had me in the middle of the woods on a back road trying to find a Tractor Supply store, I knew it was wrong, but was curious where it would take me.   Tried the same address on my iPhone and took me right to the store.   All in all I still use my garmin as I have the mounts for it and easier to use than the others.  But my use of both I don't see Apple Maps that bad.  They still need to do work and get stuff moving along faster though!

It does depend.

But we have higher standards for Apple, of course.

Yes, I was in DC trying to find my daughter's office. Google maps led me around the downtown park and had her office at the bus stop. Apple Maps was spot on at her office a block away.

Also, the Google data in my town is out of date for the auto repair shops. Apple is correct there.

However, I feel more confident with Google. Whatever the case, I go to Google first.

Mapping isn't easy (I have a certificate in GIS). I believe Google uses a lot of crowdsourcing. Apple's method is on accuracy. So, if you are not very accurate with your search, you may get erroneous answer. If you use Google, it does some guessing and more crowdsourced methods.

Neither method is perfect. depending on your query.

I think many of us started with "Apple Maps" using Google. So, we are used to that environment, although Google maps looks different than it used to being masquerading as Apple Maps, it works the same. We are used to how it works. For instance, my daughter and I were in SF many years ago and put "Apple" (Google) maps to the test. We could get all over town using maps for transit - trains, and buses and walking. Awesome. Other tourists were carrying thick paper guides and paper bus schedules and we were tooling around with our phones. Worked so great. When Apple split off to make its own maps, we stayed with Google Maps for the familiarity with functionality.

Anyway, what is irritating about Apple is that they focus too much on "pretty" (form) and not enough at all on functionality. If Apple has high standards for itself, why doesn't it on all of its products and services?

I assume that services that do not create direct revenue don't do as well as those that make money. My speculation.

My current gripes are Maps, Podcast app (not very good and auto update does not work in the background), and iPhone lighting cables are super super flimsy. We are gentle with them and we have replaced 4 or 5 so far in the last year. Ironically, if that can be applied, the iPhone headphones are indestructible.