Apple's latest iPad Air 2 ad is departure from 'Your Verse' campaign

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2015
Apple on Sunday released an ad highlighting its newly launched iPad Air 2 that, like recent commercials for iPad, chooses to demonstrate the tablet's flexibility by showing off a variety of apps, from productivity solutions to multimedia content creation.

The minute-long spot, titled "Change," is a variation on Apple's "Your Verse" ads and harkens back to playful iPod spots from years ago. Like those heavily edited commercials, "Change" puts white iPad Air 2 overlays on top of video, crops scenes into cutouts resembling spinning iPads and applies other techniques to create a tight, fast, action-packed promo.

Set to the frenetic pace of "Who Needs You" by The Orwells, Apple's latest iPad ad runs through real world use cases for apps Post-it Plus, Tayasui Sketches, iStopMotion for iPad, AutoCAD 360, INSA's GIF-ITI VIEWER, Molecules by Theodore Gray, OBD Fusion and Animation Creator HD. Interspersed throughout are smaller snippets of apps like Paper by FiftyThree and The Human Body by Tinybop. A full list of featured apps can be found on an Apple webpage promoting the ad.

As seen above, the ad starts out fullscreen, then slowly letterboxes in on content with white bars until only a sliver -- shaped like an iPad, of course -- of video can be seen. The ad then flips between video and solid white overlays, creating an interesting effect much like older iPod commercials where dancing actors were screened black, and later in a splash of color, with contrasting white iPods and headphone cords.

Finally, the spot ends with a tagline reading "Change is in the Air."

Apple's iPad Air 2 ad comes on the heels of iPhone 6 spots starring "The Tonight Show" host Jimmy Fallon and singer Justin Timberlake, the most recent of which aired in November touting iOS 8's voice messaging capabilities.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    Not bad! It's a different take from their usual stuff, much less formal and stiff.

Gotta imagine this is the internal ad house and not TBWA.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    gtbuzzgtbuzz Posts: 129member
    I am pleased to see some of the newer ads for the Apple Products. They show what can and is being done on them. They also show how to do things. I also cannot help but think these ads are much better than the older ads done by outside agencies. Apple can do much better than an outside agency. Show me what the product really can do and does do. Show me how to do. While the PC Man Ads were cute, they did not show me anything. Future customers want to see how easy it is to do powerful things.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTBuzz View Post

I am pleased to see some of the newer ads for the Apple Products. They show what can and is being done on them. They also show how to do things. I also cannot help but think these ads are much better than the older ads done by outside agencies. Apple can do much better than an outside agency. Show me what the product really can do and does do. Show me how to do. While the PC Man Ads were cute, they did not show me anything. Future customers want to see how easy it is to do powerful things.

I'd disagree. The I'm a PC ads served several purposes: Telling people they could run Windows on a Mac, telling them Office was on the Mac, and reminding all the people who were frustrated by XP and Vista that there was a better alternative.

But that style campaign wouldn't work for the iPad, you're right on that. Too many still don't get tablets. The waves of Android-powered garbage hasn't helped that.

• Reply 4 of 40
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Not bad! It's a different take from their usual stuff, much less formal and stiff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTBuzz View Post

I am pleased to see some of the newer ads for the Apple Products. They show what can and is being done on them. They also show how to do things. 

I'd agree with those parts of both your comments, except I'd suggest that they might be aimed a little 'young'.

I've enjoyed a lot of the music in Apple ads over the years, but this was so jarring that, combined with the insane visual pace

of apps and processes I'm not familiar with, I didn't really feel included...I'm sure plenty of you do, though. 

But, once again, I feel compelled to give a voice to Geezer Nation...

• Reply 5 of 40
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

All that really matter is that these Apple ads look nothing at all like all the other ads that are not Apple. As long as everyone else all do the same Apple bashing ads, that makes it really easy for Apple to just not do that and automatically differentiate themselves from everybody else, which is exactly the mystique that Apple seeks to instil in their ads. They must be pissing themselves how easy it is very time they see another Apple bashing Ad.

• Reply 6 of 40

What's nice about this is they show REAL World use of the tablet and how some use them for more than just art, photos and such. Like the one guy building a bike and integrating it into the fuel tank. I have friends who've modded their vehicle dash to fit the iPad. As for me, If it's not native to my Apple products it does NOT get installed on them. I will never install a Windows product on a Mac, iPhone or iPad.

• Reply 7 of 40
    I feel like this commercial style is influenced in a positive way by our new Beats friends.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ross.alex.k View Post

I feel like this commercial style is influenced in a positive way by our new Beats friends.

The music in the ads and product videos has for sure, and it's been nice.

• Reply 9 of 40

I was in the Grand Central Apple store today and checked out the iPad Air 2. The less reflective screen produces images that have a subtle three dimensionality. I had thought them touting how thin it is was humorous, but the reduced width and mass are truly an improvement. The iPad Air 2 is not getting the respect and accolades it deserves from the press, which runs lots of stories on declining iPad sales, but doesn't mention, that by the way, the new iPads are amazing.

• Reply 10 of 40
    I love my iPad Air 2, but I can't stand this ad.

Jarring music that would be more suited to a Samsung ad, stupidly quick changes of shot and a really annoying style with the gradual letterboxing. It's trying to be too clever and too much, a bit like the Apple Watch.

Along with the previous terrible iPhone ads with the nauseating 'comedians', Apple are having a real stinker of a run with their inhouse ad team.

Oh for the days of the early iPod ads or the I'm a Mac I'm a PC ads, not to mention 1984.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Oh for the days of the early iPod ads.

Yeah, because having a Goldblum look-alike dance around like he's Tom Cruise in Risky Business was so cool....

The ads aren't perfect. But they're much better than a Samscum ad.

• Reply 12 of 40

Oh for the days of the early iPod ads or the I'm a Mac I'm a PC ads, not to mention 1984.

Yeah, the old commercials were great but you don't progress forward by constantly looking backwards.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    I love my iPad Air 2, but I can't stand this ad.

Jarring music that would be more suited to a Samsung ad, stupidly quick changes of shot and a really annoying style with the gradual letterboxing. It's trying to be too clever and too much, a bit like the Apple Watch.

Along with the previous terrible iPhone ads with the nauseating 'comedians', Apple are having a real stinker of a run with their inhouse ad team.

I have to agree that Apple's recent ads leave something to be desired. There appears to be no focus, no real message. I have absolutely no idea what they're trying to convey.

To add to it, the ads carried by their US telecom partners are cringe-worthy.
  • Reply 14 of 40

Yeah, the old commercials were great but you don't progress forward by constantly looking backwards.

You do if you're rowing.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    What I don't like about this ad is that it is so frenetic you can't really get doing anything with it, you take for granted that people are accomplishing various things. Better to do a series of ads that each show a different use case where you get a hint that you might be able to do it too.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I have to agree that Apple's recent ads leave something to be desired. There appears to be no focus, no real message. I have absolutely no idea what they're trying to convey.

The key message is that there's fun and action happening that you're missing out on if you don't have an iPad.

• Reply 17 of 40
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    What a great ad! I love it.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    jim gramze wrote: »
    What I don't like about this ad is that it is so frenetic you can't really get doing anything with it, you take for granted that people are accomplishing various things. Better to do a series of ads that each show a different use case where you get a hint that you might be able to do it too.

It's called "montage", a classic cinematic technique which incorporates a number of short clips which together convey a mood or message, no single clip of which could stand on its own. I got the idea that the iPad can be used for many different things.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Awesome! Great song, too! That spinning iPad-shaped animation coinciding with the climax of the upbeat song gave me a little adrenaline rush. Very cool. Maybe I shall upgrade my iPad mini?
  • Reply 20 of 40
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

What a waste.

Cuts are so fast you can't even get, just a quick impression of what each of these things is or any idea of what it is these people are doing.

It's more of just a simple abstract collage. And from just a visual standpoint; not a very interesting one.

I'll bet each of those Apps are, probably, really incredible. But I couldn't even get a little enough taste of them to know or not.