Powermac G4 400 for sale

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Check out my ad on ebay:

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2009562740"; target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2009562740</a>;

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I see these ads in the LA area that are just like yours.

I personally don't understand why taking an old powermac and tossing in a stick of ram makes it worth a $1000.

I would pay a maximum of $700-800 for a machine like that. A brand new 733 with faster bus, faster video and larger HD is only $300 more.

Crazy..

Nick
  • Reply 2 of 17
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    what's the reserve?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by trumptman:

<strong>I see these ads in the LA area that are just like yours.

I personally don't understand why taking an old powermac and tossing in a stick of ram makes it worth a $1000.

I would pay a maximum of $700-800 for a machine like that. A brand new 733 with faster bus, faster video and larger HD is only $300 more.

Crazy..

Nick</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's because people on eBay are stupid enough to pay that price for that machine.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    The reserve is $880.

Less than 2 yrs ago the machine was touted as a supercomputer and now it isn't worth anything? Give me a break. Its a great machine and runs OSX just fine.

This G4 holds value for those who want a DVD capable G4. Those 733's for $300 more don't have that. Mine also has the standard audio ports and is much quieter than the 733. Also, the DVD tray has a clip hole in case a CD gets stuck inside(which has never happened).

These machines sell on ebay because many people prefer the design of these over the Quicksilvers........
  • Reply 5 of 17
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    [quote]Originally posted by steve666:

<strong>The reserve is $880.

Less than 2 yrs ago the machine was touted as a supercomputer and now it isn't worth anything? Give me a break. Its a great machine and runs OSX just fine.

This G4 holds value for those who want a DVD capable G4. Those 733's for $300 more don't have that. Mine also has the standard audio ports and is much quieter than the 733. Also, the DVD tray has a clip hole in case a CD gets stuck inside(which has never happened).

These machines sell on ebay because many people prefer the design of these over the Quicksilvers........</strong><hr></blockquote>

give me a break. computers depreciate, be glad macs depreciate less... you could buy a cube for less than what you're asking, and don't pretend that your setup is better than a 733 and therefore warrants a price equal to it. it's a good machine, sell it for 800 if you actually want the money- just some friendly advice.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    &gt;give me a break. computers depreciate, be glad macs depreciate less... you could buy a cube for less than what you're asking, and don't pretend that your setup is better than a 733 and therefore warrants a price equal to it. it's a good machine, sell it for 800 if you actually want the money- just some friendly advice.&lt;

The cube isn't upgradeable-its dead weight. That extra $300 means a lot to some people, otherwise ebay wouldn't exist. These machines are in demand thats why they are getting sold at higher prices than you think they are worth. I am not going to sell this computer for less than i think its worth-I'd rather just keep it.............................
  • Reply 7 of 17
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Fine keep it, because no one is going to be prying from your fingers at that price.

I get so tired of this mentality. In the LA area we have a paper called The Recycler. It is the local free ad newspaper for selling things and Mac owners are always posting ads in there at dumb prices. You see the occasional realistic price that is quickly snapped up. The others just sit there for weeks and weeks.

I see the same thing on ebay. People relisting the same computer over and over. Of course they will have some friends bid it up a bit, then not sell it and relist it, but everyone knows what these machines are really worth.

Nick

<strong>&gt;give me a break. computers depreciate, be glad macs depreciate less... you could buy a cube for less than what you're asking, and don't pretend that your setup is better than a 733 and therefore warrants a price equal to it. it's a good machine, sell it for 800 if you actually want the money- just some friendly advice.&lt;

The cube isn't upgradeable-its dead weight. That extra $300 means a lot to some people, otherwise ebay wouldn't exist. These machines are in demand thats why they are getting sold at higher prices than you think they are worth. I am not going to sell this computer for less than i think its worth-I'd rather just keep it.............................</strong><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 8 of 17

<strong>

The cube isn't upgradeable-its dead weight. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Cube has an upgradable processor, video card, 1.5GB max of ram, upgradable hard drive and a full array of external connections. it lacks PCI slots and a 12 inch AGP slot. and of course there are heat concerns with every upgrade. hardly deadweight considering many people have upgraded their cubes to 1.5GB RAM, dual 500Mhz G4 and Radeon 8500s.

Your reserve price is pretty ludicrous to be honest. It's way over what its really worth. I have a G4/400 but with a lot better specifications and while I would remove some of the cards I have I still wouldn't even value my machine that high.

G4/400

640 MB RAM

20GB 7200 RPM HD

60GB 5400 RPM HD

Radeon 32 MB DDR

Soundblaster

Orange Micro SCSI card

ATI Xclaim VR 128

like I said I would probably take a few of those cards out but even then I wouldn't expect what you want.

I hope you get it though.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    &gt;like I said I would probably take a few of those cards out but even then I wouldn't expect what you want.

I hope you get it though.&lt;

Thanks, applenut. I don't know what the rest of you are getting so angry about. I just placed an ad on ebay for my computer for a certain price. Its what I think its worth, I figured if i get what I want for it, great. If I don't I keep it. I have nothing to lose really. I need the money, but I'm not in danger of going homeless.

• Reply 10 of 17
    Sorry, wanted to add something.

Powermax and all other Mac resellers are asking for $1,000 and over for G4 400-500's. Thats with less RAM than my machine and some without a built in zip drive............................................
  • Reply 11 of 17
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member

<strong>Sorry, wanted to add something.

Powermax and all other Mac resellers are asking for $1,000 and over for G4 400-500's. Thats with less RAM than my machine and some without a built in zip drive............................................</strong><hr></blockquote>

You know? It usually is more expensive to buy from stores than from person

Some people prefer buy from store for the peace of mind.....
  • Reply 12 of 17
    &gt;You know? It usually is more expensive to buy from stores than from person

Some people prefer buy from store for the peace of mind.....&lt;

This is true. eBay, though, does very well protecting buyers, even more so than protecting sellers. The products from Powermax are so decontented though. 128 Mb RAM? Come on.

By the way, if anyone here is interested Mac Connection is selling some 733 Mhz G4's with a built in 250 mb zip drive for $1299. Only 128 Mb RAM but its a good deal if you got the dough............
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Actually, I don't think ebay does as good a job as you think. Fraud protection only covers one up to $250 maximum. It also takes 30 days after an auction close to file a fraud report, and even then, there are a lot of things ebay won't investigate. Most things you are told to deal with through the local authorities, and it becomes a real problem when you're having to deal with somebody in a completely different state.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Thats why its important to deal with someone with a track record. If the seller is a newbie make sure to email them with direct questions and if you don't get a prompt reply forget about it. Also, if the seller uses Paypal its usually safer because paypal gives the seller a thorough background check........................................
  • Reply 15 of 17
    I've bought dozens of items on eBay. From t-shirts to computers. Luckily, not one bad experience. Although I do tend to buy from the same "type" of people everytime.... mac users/collectors and they are for the most part "good people"

eBay seems to be set up and run very well. Paypal is great. I have complete confidence in everything I buy at eBay.

In fact, I'll probably be buying a car off of eBay very soon.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    I've bought and sold hundreds of things on ebay since 1998, and have yet to have a really bad experience... it's just a comment that says ebay does a good job protecting you isn't quite so true You do a good job of protecting yourself on ebay... ebay isn't the one that does the good job

I just won an auction for $400 worth of telecom equipment from a seller with no feedback ratings, no address on file with ebay (though he emailed me one to send a cashier's check or money order only to), and his listing was about three sentences long with no pictures. I'm somewhat skeptical, but I'm about to go out on a limb here since I've yet to have a bad experience. But I know if I do, ebay won't be doing much to protect me. At all.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Well, my G4 just sold for $880, my exact reserve price. Looks like its back to my old trusty PM 8100 for a while.........................................