Claim that Google Chromebooks "overtook" Apple in U.S. education is false

Comments

• Reply 81 of 102
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    tmay wrote: »
    I don't think MS is in as bad a shape long term in mobile as reported, but they certainly have missed the easy money. Still, there will be a reckoning in the future where mobile will mostly replace the PC and if MS doesn't screw that up, and if they can keep clawing back mobile marketshare, they will be a viable player.

Whose big in mesh networks? That's who I would watch for disruption. Billions of current mobile devices can play, and it could very well end up being the people's network without all the corporation involvement.

Wireless mesh network abilities would indeed be very viable in education and WAN access could be gated.
  • Reply 82 of 102
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I had no doubt that the FT headlines were misleading. They usually are. No news there.

However, thanks to AI for teaching me a new word: "tendentiously".  I had to look that one up! 

I even read it as tenaciously! But for your comment I would never have picked up on that.
  • Reply 83 of 102
    ...<span style="line-height:1.4em;">However, thanks to AI for teaching me a new word: "tendentiously".  I had to look that one up! </span>

Nice to know (I suppose) what is meant so I don't have to enquire whilst consuming fine beverages and conversing with my gentleman friends at 'the club' although I fear they may incorrectly opine my utterance to be a foreshortened bout of Tourette's syndrome ¡

The manifest persiflage evinced in your rejoinder demonstrates desultory discomfiture with the repartee ...

poo poo pee doo
  • Reply 84 of 102
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Selden View Post

$1.3 BILLION strikes me as a pretty significant piece of change for LAUSD.

The actual IPAD sales was 500 million, the rest was for software, training, support, etc.

• Reply 85 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Wireless mesh network abilities would indeed be very viable in education and WAN access could be gated.

The problem with mesh, management of devices, security, not sure people have really solved that. They're mostly looking in the connectivity / handoff / routing aspect for now.

The Internet of things is still a buzz word now, but within 10 years it will explode massively. A kind of  (1995 Internet), (2007 mobile) like explosion.

The Internet of things has two main vectors : the house, manufacturing / retail.

The expansion of bluetooth's capability at a low power is part of the reason things will explode.

• Reply 86 of 102

@foggyhill : Indeed, and that's where Chromebooks have a TCO advantage over just about anything else in a managed environment. That said, the LAUSD contract appears to have been padded with a lot of overhead, so it's not surprising that law enforcement is looking into it.

• Reply 87 of 102
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    relic wrote: »
    Man this guy certainly defines the term fanboy, he absolutely hates things that even remotely look like they might be successful. Let it go DED, we get it, nothing is better than Apple.

thank you, kind tool, for proving that you, in fact, cannot read English. either that, or you simply didn't read the story.
  • Reply 88 of 102
    euphonious wrote: »
    Even when he's just discussing numbers, his pieces are usually written from the viewpoint that the there is an unfair media bias against Apple - that the media tries to undermine Apple and support competing products.

This is just not true. The portrayal of Apple in the mainstream media is, on balance, positive. But pretending it isn't in order to adopt a siege mentality stirs up the hive so much more effectively.

nope. it's true. Apple gets an extreme amount of "they're doomed!" press, as well as double standards.

case in point - MSM reported on the unsupported-by-evidence iPhone 6 bending thing, but not the Samsung gap thing.
  • Reply 89 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drew0020 View Post

Sometimes I forget why I visit this site and then I see another joke of an article by Daniel and that's why I come. His articles are typically good for a laugh...

so's your posting history. come back when you've made some contribution to the discussion.

• Reply 90 of 102
    Nice takedown DED. I figured it was only a matter of time...
  • Reply 91 of 102
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

The thing is, I'd say people from that era should wear this shirt...but given how Apple's always doomed it would work for anyone.
    http://store.dieselsweeties.com/products/i-was-a-mac-user-when-apple-was-doomed-shirt
    I'd change it to "...when Apple was doomed the first time."
  • Reply 92 of 102
    foggyhill wrote: »

The problem with mesh, management of devices, security, not sure people have really solved that. They're mostly looking in the connectivity / handoff / routing aspect for now.

The Internet of things is still a buzz word now, but within 10 years it will explode massively. A kind of  (1995 Internet), (2007 mobile) like explosion.

The Internet of things has two main vectors : the house, manufacturing / retail.

The expansion of bluetooth's capability at a low power is part of the reason things will explode.

The IOT has at least one more vector -- the scary one ...

Today, we can get chips embedded in our pets -- that ID them for lost and found, shots ...

In not too many years, governments will try to do the same with humans -- lotsa' so-called benefits will be attractive ... tempting ... All we need do is sacrifice our individuality and control of our lives in exchange for goodies and convenience.

Sadly, much of this is already in place! If you carry a smart phone (which hasn't been reported as stolen) -- the means exist to determine who you are, where you are, who you are with and what you are doing ... without you even being aware of it.

Given the above, it is not too much a leap to where our behavior can be [will be] controlled.

"I don't believe in astrology. I am a Sagittarius
    and we're very skeptical." - Arthur C. Clarke -

• Reply 93 of 102
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    nope. it's true. Apple gets an extreme amount of "they're doomed!" press, as well as double standards.

case in point - MSM reported on the unsupported-by-evidence iPhone 6 bending thing, but not the Samsung gap thing.

They also get a lot of positive commentary regarding their hardware designs, sales figures, etc.

Apple is a really high profile company and is prominent in the public consciousness. In other words, people will read about Apple. That's why everything Apple-related tends to get reported - good or bad, well-founded or spurious.
  • Reply 94 of 102

Chromebook is not for games, that's for sure, but why should they complain if they shouldn't be playing games in school anyway?

• Reply 95 of 102
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Anyone else notice that the 32bit K1 Nvidia Shield Tablet beats out all the other tablets including the latest ipad air 2. Wasnt this tablet release 6 months ago? How is it beating the ipad air 2?

Quote:

• Reply 96 of 102
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

At native resolution, the Shield is pushing about 35% fewer pixels than the iPad, iPad 2, and Nexus 9. If you look at 1080P resolution, the iPad 2 is a bit better than the Shield and quite a bit better than the Nexus 9. I'd speculate that the latter is due to the Nexus 9 not being fully optimized to the K1 64bit processor, and that the Shield is probably poor on battery life, but these are benchmarks, YMMV.

• Reply 97 of 102
    Interesting article. Thank you.
  • Reply 98 of 102
    Well written, and insightful.

I don't keep too close an eye on the industry anymore so was surprised to see that article a few days ago, but now I "get it".

Thanks for sharing.
  • Reply 99 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Selden View Post

@foggyhill : Indeed, and that's where Chromebooks have a TCO advantage over just about anything else in a managed environment. That said, the LAUSD contract appears to have been padded with a lot of overhead, so it's not surprising that law enforcement is looking into it.

Oh, really, seriously, no teacher training, no IT support, free software "educational" for a Chromebook and you'll get the same thing as with an Ipad, are you even serious. That's a totally off the wall pants on fire fabulation.

In fact, Chromebooks are NOT a good idea. There are full on Windows 8.1 solutions that are more powerfull and certainly easier to manage than Google's kludge.

Not to mention that the build quality on Chromebooks is abysmal (and yes I've seen and used many of them)... Because I had to, not because I wanted to... 

You put a decent cover on a Ipad and you can make it quasi indestructible. Keyboards and hinges on chromebooks go FAST and there is no solution to that.

• Reply 100 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

...However, thanks to AI for teaching me a new word: "tendentiously".  I had to look that one up! 

Nice to know (I suppose) what is meant so I don't have to enquire whilst consuming fine beverages and conversing with my gentleman friends at 'the club' although I fear they may incorrectly opine my utterance to be a foreshortened bout of Tourette's syndrome ¡

The manifest persiflage evinced in your rejoinder demonstrates desultory discomfiture with the repartee ...

poo poo pee doo

Damn... no Scrabble with you!