Apple CEO Tim Cook among eight finalists for Time's 2014 Person of the Year

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2014
Time revealed on Monday that Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook is once again one of its finalists for the magazine's "Person of the Year" award, joining the likes of Alibaba CEO Jack Ma, Russian President Vladmir Putin, pop star Taylor Swift, Ebola caregivers, and protesters in Ferguson, Mo.

Time's eight 2014 Person of the Year finalists.

Cook is one of eight contenders on Time's "short list" of candidates that were revealed on its blog Monday afternoon. The Apple leader was recognized for not only unveiling a slew of new products in 2014, but also for disclosing his sexuality and becoming the first openly gay Fortune 500 CEO.

Time editor Nancy Gibbs discussed the finalists on the Today show on NBC Monday, and noted that the Auburn graduate has helped Apple to become the most valuable company in the world.

"Everyone wondered whether he could live up to Steve Jobs's legacy at Apple of reinventing whole categories regularly," Gibbs said. "With the Apple Watch, we think he stands a good chance of doing that."

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Cook was named a runner up for Time's Person of the Year in 2012, when the magazine credited him for inheriting Apple from the late, legendary Steve Jobs and truly making the company his own. Under the leadership of Cook, Apple's product sales and market value have skyrocketed to new heights, continuing a pace of continued growth few predicted.

In addition to Cook, the Ferguson protesters, Ebola caregivers, Putin, Ma, and Swift, the remaining 2014 Person of the Year finalists are National Football League Commissioner Roger Goodell, and Masoud Barzani, the acting president of the Iraqi Kurdish Region since 2005. Readers have picked Indian prime Minister Narendra Modi as their preferred candidate.

Time's selection for person of the year will be announced by Gibbs on Today Wednesday morning.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I think these lists are stupid. The only reason Tim is on the shortlist again is because he came out this year.
  • Reply 2 of 42

Given that Time didn’t give it to Steve the two years he most deserved it, who cares?

• Reply 3 of 42
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I think these lists are stupid. The only reason Tim is on the shortlist again is because he came out this year.

Agreed.

"Readers have picked Indian prime Minister Narendra Modi as their preferred candidate."

Uh, what?  Someone has been stuffing the ballot.  If the person of the year is somehow the embodiment of the biggest news stories of the year, there is no way Modi fits the bill--except in India of course.

• Reply 4 of 42
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

couldn't possibly be because he's running the biggest, most successful company in the USA. nope. "It's cuz he's gay!"

also, coming out as the only openly gay Fortune 100 CEO of the biggest, most successful company in the USA is a pretty admirable thing. not sure if you know it, but a large percentage of the voter base in the US hates homosexuals, so it's not really a pleasant thing to deal with and has its own challenges, alienation, etc.

so either way, Cook is a great choice -- for business or civil reasons.

• Reply 5 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Given that Time didn’t give it to Steve the two years he most deserved it, who cares?

Wow, I just checked and Steve was never person of the year.  Yet Jeff Bezos and Mark Zuckerberg are?  What a load of crap.

• Reply 6 of 42

End of the year lists are just an attempt to appear relevant. Sorry, but they're just not important and never have been.

• Reply 7 of 42
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

taylor swift....a vapid pop singer selling vapid pop music. news at 11...

• Reply 8 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

but a large percentage of the voter base in the US hates homosexuals,

Hahahah...right. Disagreeing with someone's lifestyle choices does not equal hate.

And that's the only reason Cook's up for nomination this year.

The award is a joke anyway.

• Reply 9 of 42
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

Any magazine that can give Adolph Hitler and Joseph Stalin award stature has no credibility with me. They even gave it to Planet Earth one year.

• Reply 10 of 42
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »
    Any magazine that can give Adolph Hitler and Joseph Stalin award stature has no credibility with me. They even gave it to Planet Earth one year.

Well, technically, we've all won it already.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

Wow, I just checked and Steve was never person of the year.  Yet Jeff Bezos and Mark Zuckerberg are?  What a load of crap.

I doubt Jobs was ever concerned about it.

• Reply 12 of 42

I doubt Jobs was ever concerned about it.

He was, at least in 1984.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

This list is dumb.

I just hope that the ebola caregivers and the Ferguson protesters do not win.

The ebola caregivers should not win because some of them violated their quarantines when they came back to the US, so screw those selfish people and liars. No awards for them. 

And the Ferguson protesters should not win, because a bunch of thugs setting their own town on fire is hardly something that is worthy of an award.

Putin probably won't win, because I believe that he won a few years ago.

And I don't believe that somebody who is gay should win for merely being gay, and Time Magazine has dissed Apple a few times in the past, so I don't see Tim Cook winning.

I believe that Taylor Swift should win, just to show how useless this award is from Time Magazine.

• Reply 14 of 42
    jessijessi Posts: 302member

I've been around for many years and watched many of these Time hype-fests.

Only one thing is certain- whomever they pick will be inane and picked for inane reasons.

Hell, Edward Snowden, the undisputed person of the year last year, didn't get it.

• Reply 15 of 42
    nolamacguy wrote: »

couldn't possibly be because he's running the biggest, most successful company in the USA. nope. "It's cuz he's gay!"

also, coming out as the only openly gay Fortune 100 CEO of the biggest, most successful company in the USA is a pretty admirable thing. not sure if you know it, but a large percentage of the voter base in the US hates homosexuals, so it's not really a pleasant thing to deal with and has its own challenges, alienation, etc.

so either way, Cook is a great choice -- for business or civil reasons.

I'm sorry but I don't think Tim Cook was the most important/notable/whatever you want to call it in 2014. IMO a lot more important things happened in 2014 than Cook announcing he's gay.
  • Reply 16 of 42

I hope everyone understands this isn't an "award" no matter what media outlets call it. Time has said repeatedly throughout it's history that it's not. It's just an acknowledgement of the person who has had the biggest impact in the world, good or bad, in the past year. They don't always get it right based on their own criteria, but I'd think this year it has to be Putin. 

• Reply 17 of 42

What's Time?

• Reply 18 of 42
    Hahahah...right. Disagreeing with someone's lifestyle choices does not equal hate.

And that's the only reason Cook's up for nomination this year.

The award is a joke anyway.

All these lists are a joke. Now the Verge has their own top 50 of the year and surprise, surprise the leaders of Apple, Microsoft and Google are on the list. Along with late night TV talk show hosts and SNL personalities. How original :rolleyes:

http://www.theverge.com/a/2014-verge-50
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What's Time?

I think it's red colored hamster cage liner.

• Reply 20 of 42
    Quote:

All these lists are a joke. Now the Verge has their own top 50 of the year and surprise, surprise the leaders of Apple, Microsoft and Google are on the list. Along with late night TV talk show hosts and SNL personalities. How original image

http://www.theverge.com/a/2014-verge-50