Leading Android fansite recommends Apple Inc iPad Air 2 as best tablet in holiday gift guide

Posted:
in iPad edited June 2015
Android Police named Apple's iPad Air 2 as its top tablet pick among "Android devices" for the 2014 holiday season, calling it "reliable, predictable, and very fast."

Android Police


The site, which bills itself as "looking after all things Android," is listed among the top three Android news outlets in Google's search results and appears to have earned a "Like" from every Google+ user.

However, despite the thousands of Android tablets offered by a wide range of licensees--including the newly released Google-branded Nexus 9, built by HTC--Android Police prominently named iPad Air 2 as its top tablet among "Android devices." David Ruddock wrote that iPad Air 2 "doesn't run Android and I don't really care that it doesn't run Android."

"Yes, I am breaking the gift guide by putting this here," Ruddock stated. "Why? Because as you'll notice, none of us recommended the Nexus 9, because it's not exactly great. In fact, I'd argue no Android tablet is."

He noted that Nvidia's gaming-oriented Shield Tablet "is a lot of bang for your buck, but the screen kind of sucks and the battery life isn't spectacular (standby is bad in particular) and it's heavy, thick, and kinda ugly."

After noting that iPad Air 2 doesn't run Android, Ruddock added, "as far as I'm concerned, it's either this or a Galaxy Tab S if you're in the market for a premium tablet at this point, and I'm not too hot on the Exynos processor / 16GB of storage / Samsung's update track record that you get with the Tab S 8.4. The 10.5 is also just too big, and I'm not sure I want an 8.4" tablet, either, it's a hair too small. The Nexus 9 is the right size, but pretty much the wrong everything else."

iPad Air 2


Ruddock called attention to Android's tablet app gap, stating that "iOS still has some tablet experience apps lacking Android equivalents," adding that "while Android tablets do have some advantages (like a better Gmail app BY FAR), the iPad remains a no-brainer for me. If it's my money being spent on a tablet, I'm going to buy the one I know is going to live up to a standard of quality."

He called Apple's iPad lineup the "the gold standard in tablets since it was unveiled," adding, "that hasn't changed. I don't see it changing any time soon, either."

Further down in the site's gift guide, another editor listed Nvidia's Shield Tablet as "an excellent mid-sized tablet," adding, "And yes, I think it's better than the Nexus 9." A third listed Samsung's Galaxy Tab S 8.4 as "the single best Android."

Under "Other Stuff," a fourth staff writer Cameron Summerson listed an Acer Chromebook (which also does not run Android) along with the Nexus 9, stating "I basically love everything about it" and calling it "definitely my top pick for best Android tablet, though Shield Tablet is a very close second." The site also recommended a variety of accessories and devices not directly related to Android.

In the gift guide's comments, Summerson protested Ruddock's statement that "none of us recommended the Nexus 9," posting, "David's a liar. I recommended the Nexus 9. I love mine." In response, Ruddock added the comment, "Cameron recommended it, but don't listen to him."

Google's Nexus 9 has received mixed reviews, with particular criticism targeting weaknesses in its build quality and fit-and-finish, despite being priced higher than previous generations of the Nexus tablet line.

Primate Lab's Geekbench indicated that the triple core, 64-bit A8X Application Processor in Apple's iPad Air enables it to trounce the Shield Tablet, Galaxy Tab S and Nexus 9 in CPU functions, while Kishonti Informatics' GFXBench outlined a similarly large advantage in graphics power over a variety of Android tablets powered by Nvidia's Tegra K1 (Nexus 9), Qualcomm Snapdragon and Samsung Exynos (both used in variants of the Galaxy Tab S) as well as Intel's heavily subsidized Atom Bay Trail chip (used in Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 Pro).

Apple's A8X powers iPad Air 2 graphics faster than Google's Nexus 9 w/ Nvidia Denver Tegra K1 http://t.co/X0avk8B6vN pic.twitter.com/CeJiQyZqhs

-- Daniel Eran Dilger (@DanielEran)


Last year, Strategy Analytics publicized the retroactive discovery of millions of Android tablets in an attempt to rewrite history, even as IDC and Gartner tallied up falling tablet "market share" for Apple based on vast numbers of low priced, tablet-shaped devices.

San Francisco security firm Bluebox Labs recently warned that after testing a dozen Black Friday bargain Android tablets from major retailers including Amazon, Best Buy, Kmart, Kohl's, Staples, Target and Walmart, it found "shocking" security flaws, malware and active backdoors installed on the new devices.
«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 67

    Boy, they're going to lose a lot of readers over that decision, true though it may be.

  • Reply 2 of 67

    Uh oh.

     

    AI will soon have competition: they'll be named Apple Police.

  • Reply 3 of 67
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,687member

    Good for them!

     

    At least they're being honest!

     

    The iPad Air 2 rules. 

     

    I would like to see even more powerful apps coming out soon.

     

    I bought a 2GB piano recently, and it sounds pretty good, but why not give me a 10GB piano?

     

    Is there some sort of limit to app sizes or something? 

  • Reply 4 of 67
    bondm16bondm16 Posts: 141member

    I still have the iPad 1 and I have no need to update it yet. 

  • Reply 5 of 67
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

     

    Good for them!

     

    At least they're being honest!

     

    The iPad Air 2 rules.

     

    I would like to see even more powerful apps coming out soon.

     

    I bought a 2GB piano recently, and it sounds pretty good, but why not give me a 10GB piano?

     

    Is there some sort of limit to app sizes or something?


    What?  Are you making a joke or are you suggesting that you want a 10GB piano app on your iPad and expect that to sound better than a smaller app?

  • Reply 6 of 67
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,687member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by malax View Post

     

    What?  Are you making a joke or are you suggesting that you want a 10GB piano app on your iPad and expect that to sound better than a smaller app?




    No joke here.

     

    I am saying that I would like a 10 GB piano app instead of the 2 GB app, and yes, that would obviously sound better than the smaller sized app.

     

    I was just wondering if there's any size limit for apps. I haven't come across any really large apps yet that go beyond 2 GB.

  • Reply 7 of 67
    apple ][ wrote: »

    No joke here.

    I am saying that I would like a 10 GB piano app instead of the 2 GB app, and yes, that would obviously sound better than the smaller sized app.

    I was just wondering if there's any size limit for apps. I haven't come across any really large apps yet that go beyond 2 GB.

    You won't since Apple doesn't allow binary sizes over 2 GB.
  • Reply 8 of 67
    schlackschlack Posts: 699member
    is this a satire piece? seems very odd. why not just say iPad is best but heres the top Android tablet?
  • Reply 9 of 67
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,687member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TimMyMan View Post





    You won't since Apple doesn't allow binary sizes over 2 GB.



    Aha! So that's why.

     

    Hopefully that is something that will be changed in the future, because 2GB is simply too little, compared to where iPads are today.

     

    I wouldn't be surprised if the next iPad is offered with 256 GB. I currently have the 128 GB Air 2.

     

    Apple needs to go beyond 2 GB. So many apps would benefit from that.

  • Reply 10 of 67
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 4,685member

    Well, have to give credit where credit is due.  He knows he's going to get flamed for it, but the truth hurts.  Fandroids have been in serious denial for ages, and watching them defending what really is garbage is just sad.  



    The iPad is the gold standard.  Apple doesn't need Android to compete.  It competes against itself.  Apple would rather let its own iPad product take away sales from say a Macbook, than have that money go out the door to a competitor.  So why not make the iPad the best it can be?



    This is where all the Android dumpsters fail to accept, and the Fandroids fail to acknowledge.

  • Reply 11 of 67

    "iOS still has some tablet experience apps lacking Android equivalents,"

     

    Some? It's not even close.

  • Reply 12 of 67
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,985member
    Boy, they're going to lose a lot of readers over that decision, true though it may be.

    I disagree, but I'm sure they have no problem losing such disillusioned readers. Even if a manufacturer designed, and built a tablet every bit as good as the iPad Air 2, it would still lack quality tablet specific apps.
  • Reply 13 of 67
    Wow, he picked it even though he knew he will get all the hate from the readers(well, at least from the android fanboys). Now, that's the kind of journalistic integrity we need more of.
  • Reply 14 of 67
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,113member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

     

    Well, have to give credit where credit is due.  He knows he's going to get flamed for it, but the truth hurts.  Fandroids have been in serious denial for ages, and watching them defending what really is garbage is just sad.  



    The iPad is the gold standard.  Apple doesn't need Android to compete.  It competes against itself.  Apple would rather let its own iPad product take away sales from say a Macbook, than have that money go out the door to a competitor.  So why not make the iPad the best it can be?



    This is where all the Android dumpsters fail to accept, and the Fandroids fail to acknowledge.




    Actually, this poor guy David Ruddock may have to watch his back and be extra careful going past dark alleys. I can see a bunch of irate Android zealots throwing a blanket over him and beating him senseless with rubber hoses.

  • Reply 15 of 67
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 4,685member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

     



    Actually, this poor guy David Ruddock may have to watch his back and be extra careful going past dark alleys. I can see a bunch of irate Android zealots throwing a blanket over him and beating him senseless with rubber hoses.




    The flaw in this logic is your assumption that Fandroids are brave enough to venture out from the safety and comfort of their parent's basements and think their keyboard chest-thumping actually will protect them in the real world.

  • Reply 16 of 67
    timmyman wrote: »
    apple ][ wrote: »

    No joke here.

    I am saying that I would like a 10 GB piano app instead of the 2 GB app, and yes, that would obviously sound better than the smaller sized app.

    I was just wondering if there's any size limit for apps. I haven't come across any really large apps yet that go beyond 2 GB.

    You won't since Apple doesn't allow binary sizes over 2 GB.

    What about IAPs? Can they take the size over 2GB?
  • Reply 17 of 67
    I guess this is proof that even someone who has used Android can have common sense.

    It was clear from that long comparison a few weeks ago of the Nexus something to the Air 2 on Android Police, that they much preferred the iPad. And rightly so. It's the best Apple product I've ever had the pleasure of owning.

    Android users may be lost souls, but this decision shows that it's never too late for redemption.
  • Reply 18 of 67
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,136member
    This is absolutely priceless...

    Even on a site which is arguably a hub for the biggest Fandroids this side of cyberspace, he chooses an iPad Air 2 as the best tablet!!!

    Android is such a joke, and this guy recognizes it. :smokey:
  • Reply 19 of 67
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

    Looks like the Nvidia Shield Tablet is the best.  Beats out all. 32Bit and it's 6 months old.

     

    Quote:

     

     


  • Reply 20 of 67
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    apple ][ wrote: »

    Aha! So that's why.

    Hopefully that is something that will be changed in the future, because 2GB is simply too little, compared to where iPads are today.

    I wouldn't be surprised if the next iPad is offered with 256 GB. I currently have the 128 GB Air 2.

    Apple needs to go beyond 2 GB. So many apps would benefit from that.

    Pretty soon it will be 16>128>256. :lol:.
Sign In or Register to comment.