AAPL Flash Crash

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    Marvin wrote: »
    You don't have a problem with less regulation because you adhere to your ideology of less regulation no matter if it conflicts with your own best interests. I think that fair competition should be promoted. Normally you think that too except when government has to step in and then you throw fair competition out.

Do you not think that algorithmic trading at the speeds they are allowed to operate at is anti-competitive?

I don't believe that Apple's ability to produce a better product is anti-competitive. Do you? Why would I consider a company that commits significant time and resources to creating a better trading program to be anti-competitive?

And government should never, ever step in to bail out any company, bank or homeowner.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I don't believe that Apple's ability to produce a better product is anti-competitive. Do you? Why would I consider a company that commits significant time and resources to creating a better trading program to be anti-competitive?

And government should never, ever step in to bail out any company, bank or homeowner.

Because the trading company is not producing a better product. It is doing nothing social or economically worthwhile.  If it is, let me know.  There is nothing wrong with government stepping in to set up fair rules of the game, then getting out of the way to let the game proceed. 

• Reply 23 of 25
    Looks like AAPL will easily and quickly fall below $110 this morning, based on the direction of pre-market opening trading. I think it's going to get real ugly today. All of a sudden the news cycle is a sh*tstorm of negative stories on oil, the value of the dollar rising, problems with the Chinese economy...downward we go!
  • Reply 24 of 25
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Looks like AAPL will easily and quickly fall below $110 this morning, based on the direction of pre-market opening trading. I think it's going to get real ugly today. All of a sudden the news cycle is a sh*tstorm of negative stories on oil, the value of the dollar rising, problems with the Chinese economy...downward we go!

I picked up some shares at $110 at the opening. They dipped slightly below that are and now at $111+. Happy so far. And I'm a long investor rather than a trader, so I'm glad to pick some up on this dip. I don't plan to sell for at least a year, probably more.

• Reply 25 of 25
    jasenj1 wrote: »

I picked up some shares at $110 at the opening. They dipped slightly below that are and now at $111+. Happy so far. And I'm a long investor rather than a trader, so I'm glad to pick some up on this dip. I don't plan to sell for at least a year, probably more.

I'm not confident the bottom has been hit yet. I could be wrong, of course, but it's possible we could see $108 later today or tomorrow.

UPDATE: Looks like the new floor may be about $110...