Apple TV gets overhauled YouTube app, adds new channels for UFC, DailyMotion & more

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited December 2014
Google on Tuesday unveiled a redesigned YouTube app for the Apple TV with a number of new features, while Apple simultaneously added four additional channels to its lineup, including one from popular mixed martial arts league UFC.

In addition to a refreshed user interface, the new YouTube app also adds functionality long missing from its Apple TV incarnation. Users can now subscribe to a channel directly from the set-top box, for instance, and the app's search function now uses a find-as-you-type configuration for faster searching.

YouTube also brought their personalized recommendations to the latest version, allowing users to browse new content based on their viewing history.

Alongside the YouTube update, Apple has added new content from UFC, The Scene, Fusion, and DailyMotion.

UFC --?rumored to be headed to the set-top streamer for months --?will allow viewers to access a wealth of content, including Pay-Per-Views and video from UFC Fight Pass. The Scene, meanwhile, brings curated short-form video content from brand including ABC News, Forbes, Epicurious, and GQ.

Fusion, a joint venture between ABC and Univision, is a digital news networked aimed at the millennial audience. DailyMotion brings much of the content from its web properties to the Apple TV, including content from gaming network IGN.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    A few channels I'll never watch and need to hide. YouTube now has ads, terrible update this go around. :-(
  • Reply 2 of 69
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    meh. need amazon prime streaming app.
  • Reply 3 of 69

Amazon is already stating in their TV commercials that you need one of their devices (Fire TV) to get what they call "ASAP streaming". So even if Amazon did make it to AppleTV it would likely be crippled to some extent. I do not like the way this is headed as other streaming services that offer a device will allow some sort of premium experience on their device. Get ready to watch the buffering wheel on Smart TVs and via Amazon apps on devices that aren't part of Amazon's arsenal. Other companies will follow suit if they haven't already.

• Reply 4 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

A few (new) channels I'll never watch and need to hide. YouTube now has ads, terrible update this go around. :-(

Agree.

But I have to say, Im not sure what Im really looking for in an Apple TV. In my use case, these things would be good-  HDMI pass through (if not a cable box,  cable will be around for years), I think the icons have to go, perhaps an iPod click interface on the remote to go through the list of apps.  Voice... mmmm, only for some very basic things. But then it needs to be ON all the time like the amazon thing (which Im curious how that will sell).  Still waiting for the 'breakthrough' ... what ever that is.

• Reply 5 of 69
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    alexmit wrote: »
    Amazon is already stating in their TV commercials that you need one of their devices (Fire TV) to get what they call "ASAP streaming". So even if Amazon did make it to AppleTV it would likely be crippled to some extent. I do not like the way this is headed as other streaming services that offer a device will allow some sort of premium experience on their device. Get ready to watch the buffering wheel on Smart TVs and via Amazon apps on devices that aren't part of Amazon's arsenal. Other companies will follow suit if they haven't already.

I just hope Netflix doesn't ever start ads.
  • Reply 6 of 69
    Quote:

YouTube now has ads, terrible update this go around. :-(

I was afraid that would happen.

• Reply 7 of 69
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member

I also need the Amazon Prime app. Out of the various streaming boxes in my house (Wii, Wii U, PS3, Roku, Blue-Ray Player) only the Apple TV is missing Amazon Prime and increasingly it is my least used TV streaming box because of the need to hide all these new channels. The Roku has a channel store where I can add only the channels I need. I was allowed to order the Amazon Fire stick for only $20 at a promotional price. The Wii, PS3 and Wii U all have Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu as well.

Apple is the only odd man out here. 

The one thing I find VERY odd is that Apple has no streaming video music channel. The PS3 has VidZone and the Roku has the VEVO app. I know Apple has the VEVO channel as well but I'm just saying it is odd they don't have their own channel for videos when they offer streaming radio for iTunes and Beats. It could be a good value added proposition for them considering their price is so much higher than the competition at this stage.

• Reply 8 of 69
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I like the new font.
  • Reply 9 of 69
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'd love to know why Apple is letting ?TV languish and competitors like Google and Amazon disrupt them. Even if Apple is working on some grand vision for the living room and all the pieces aren't in place yet that doesn't mean they can't keep ?TV current in the meantime. The UI is incredibly dated and clunky to use. There's no good search feature, no good way to find content. It's just row after row of channel icons. And every time there is a new channel that requires a cable/satellite login to use it you have to enter that information in again because there is no central place to store the ID and password. Honestly I wish Apple would shit or get off the pot with ?TV.
  • Reply 10 of 69
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'd love to know why Apple is letting ?TV languish and competitors like Google and Amazon disrupt them. Even if Apple is working on some grand vision for the living room and all the pieces aren't in place yet that doesn't mean they can't keep ?TV current in the meantime. The UI is incredibly dated and clunky to use. There's no good search feature, no good way to find content. It's just row after row of channel icons. And every time there is a new channel that requires a cable/satellite login to use it you have to enter that information in again because there is no central place to store the ID and password. Honestly I wish Apple would shit or get off the pot with ?TV.

The interface and IDs (hello ... Keychain!) definitely need attention ASAP. Voice control would be nice and Siri too. Plus Apple should offer something made by Apple akin to the new Vizio wireless surround system. They could have a mics on all parts with noise cancellation for speech control.
  • Reply 11 of 69
    I hope they kept YouTube ad free... Oh goddamnit. Does everything have to be infested with ads?
  • Reply 12 of 69
    razorpit wrote: »
    A few channels I'll never watch and need to hide. YouTube now has ads, terrible update this go around. :-(

Let them know, seriously. Bring back ad-free YouTube:
    https://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html
  • Reply 13 of 69
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by schlack View Post

Amazon Prime streaming isn't free, you have to subscribe to Amazon Prime to keep using it. It sounds like what you really want from AppleTV is a monthly subscription to the same content Amazon Prime streams. 

I am still waiting for all the AppleTV channels to not require cable/satellite subscriptions. Until that happens, the majority of channels already require a monthly subscription so why would I want to pay more for the same content?

• Reply 14 of 69
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Forget it, Google owns YouTube and why would they want it to be ad-free? I read a page on YouTube talking about a subscription service but nobody thought people would go for it except for some of the commercial channels. Therefore, the only option is to view stupid Google ads. This is what happens when Google buys a company, it turns into another advertising stream for them.

• Reply 15 of 69

Get with it, Apple. Forget the grand design. Just add some functionality to set it apart from the copyists -- who are, for all practical purposes (except for AirPlay and iTunes Match), offering what you have now cheaper -- and put it out there.

• Reply 16 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by schlack View Post

that will probably happen when the Amazon devices get iTunes streaming.

• Reply 17 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

why would they? youtubes business model is (by & large) free content. netflix's is paid content, like HBO.

• Reply 18 of 69
    YouTube now has ads, terrible update this go around. :-(

THIS IS WHY I AM AGAINST APPLE’S ABILITY TO UPDATE YOUR SOFTWARE WITHOUT YOUR INPUT. THIS IS COMPLETE NONSENSE.

Hopefully people understand me now that it’s too late.

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

If they do, my subscription ends. I’m paying them money for a reason.

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Just add some functionality to set it apart from the copyists -- who are, for all practical purposes (except for AirPlay and iTunes Match), offering what you have now cheaper -- and put it out there.

So you want exactly the same product they already have out now? What’s the point of that? An update is meaningless without the channel deals.

• Reply 19 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I also need the Amazon Prime app. Out of the various streaming boxes in my house (Wii, Wii U, PS3, Roku, Blue-Ray Player) only the Apple TV is missing Amazon Prime and increasingly it is my least used TV streaming box because of the need to hide all these new channels. The Roku has a channel store where I can add only the channels I need. I was allowed to order the Amazon Fire stick for only $20 at a promotional price. The Wii, PS3 and Wii U all have Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu as well.

Apple is the only odd man out here. 

but those other devices are the odd men out for me -- they dont have iTunes apps. i have much more invested in itunes content than i do amazon content. for the very little content i need Amazon to get, it's pretty simple to airplay it. for me, that makes the ATV more valuable than the other devices, which have no way to access iTunes content whatsoever.

• Reply 20 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

call me crazy, but im pretty sure the ads directive is coming from youtube (google), not apple.

i mean, would you ask apple to provide a no-cost Netflix app? why not?