Apple TV gets overhauled YouTube app, adds new channels for UFC, DailyMotion & more

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'd love to know why Apple is letting ?TV languish and competitors like Google and Amazon disrupt them. Even if Apple is working on some grand vision for the living room and all the pieces aren't in place yet that doesn't mean they can't keep ?TV current in the meantime. The UI is incredibly dated and clunky to use. There's no good search feature, no good way to find content. It's just row after row of channel icons. And every time there is a new channel that requires a cable/satellite login to use it you have to enter that information in again because there is no central place to store the ID and password. Honestly I wish Apple would shit or get off the pot with ?TV.

er, how are they being disrupted, exactly? the recent headline only showed that recent sales had more non-apple devices being sold right now, but doesnt speak about it disrupting apple tv usage (im still using mine) or revenue. do you have specifics on those?

as for the interface, it doesnt offend me. i use Plex Home Theater as well and dont think theyre very different or one is much better than the other. icons & menus....what else? 

as for new app icons -- it takes me 2 seconds to remove stuff. a minor inconvienence, i agree, but i understand their decision to show everybody the content than risk nobody seeing it if off by default. eh.

improved search would be nice.

• Reply 22 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

Forget it, Google owns YouTube and why would they want it to be ad-free? I read a page on YouTube talking about a subscription service but nobody thought people would go for it except for some of the commercial channels. Therefore, the only option is to view stupid Google ads. This is what happens when Google buys a company, it turns into another advertising stream for them.

You realize that the people whose videos that ads get played on get some of the ad money right? They choose to let ads play/appear in their videos so they can make money, and that money generally allows them to keep making videos that people like.

• Reply 23 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

THIS IS WHY I AM AGAINST APPLE’S ABILITY TO UPDATE YOUR SOFTWARE WITHOUT YOUR INPUT. THIS IS COMPLETE NONSENSE.

Hopefully people understand me now that it’s too late.

Adding a channel to your landing page... only you have to click it to activate it.  Are you drawn to clicking it? Does your face melt because of the egregious pixels displayed?

Methinks your emphasis is a bit over the top.

This is 'content.'  Not software.   Get over it.  And if you hid YouTube before, it would stay hidden.  So it's not like they are undoing your decision to not watch it.

• Reply 24 of 69
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

THIS IS WHY I AM AGAINST APPLE’S ABILITY TO UPDATE YOUR SOFTWARE WITHOUT YOUR INPUT. THIS IS COMPLETE NONSENSE.

So go into System settings and turn off auto-update?  Or did they remove that option (I can't check until I get home)?

• Reply 25 of 69
    While Apple has finally updated YouTube on their AppleTV, Amazon just added 4K streaming to theirs.

Bravo Apple, let's pimp Apple for more gay events shall we, because who cares about technology.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/09/amazon-prime-instant-video-4k/

Someone needs to resurrect Jobs.
  • Reply 26 of 69
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Quote:

If they do, my subscription ends. I’m paying them money for a reason.

So you want exactly the same product they already have out now? What’s the point of that? An update is meaningless without the channel deals.

Do you realize that you can turn off updates AppleTV? Never mind. Someone already made the same comment.

• Reply 27 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Just add some functionality to set it apart from the copyists -- who are, for all practical purposes (except for AirPlay and iTunes Match), offering what you have now cheaper -- and put it out there.

So you want exactly the same product they already have out now? What’s the point of that? An update is meaningless without the channel deals.

What part of my sentence "...add.. functionality" don't you get?

• Reply 28 of 69
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    call me crazy, but im pretty sure the ads directive is coming from youtube (google), not apple.

i mean, would you ask apple to provide a no-cost Netflix app? why not?

It's believed (and reported) that Apple was paying some licensing fee to Google to use the (ad free) API in the original, native YouTube apps on iOS and AppleTV. The license for that API has expired (Apple dropped the iOS YouTube app before the deal expired, but kept the native player in Apple TV), and Apple is apparently uninterested in renewing it (and/or revving the native YouTube app), so Google gets to monetize their content without Apple paying for it. Apple has passed the cost on to us. We pay for it in annoyance and time.

Hope you're happy.
  • Reply 29 of 69
    Adding a channel to your landing page... only you have to click it to activate it.  Are you drawn to clicking it? Does your face melt because of the egregious pixels displayed?

[image]

Methinks your emphasis is a bit over the top.

This is 'content.'  Not software.   Get over it.  And if you hid YouTube before, it would stay hidden.  So it's not like they are undoing your decision to not watch it.

I don't think he's against the channel being on the screen, but the update occurring without his authorization.

malax wrote: »
    So go into System settings and turn off auto-update?  Or did they remove that option (I can't check until I get home)?

I thought that was only for Apple TV OS updates, not for channel updates and additions.
  • Reply 30 of 69
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

The way Apple makes you jump through hoops to view content on their LMN channel is silly. It's the same for ABC and other tiles. The Apple TV can't remember your code so every now and then, you click the tile and up pops a code. Then you have to remember it, jump off the couch, quickly log onto your computer, open Safari, remember the web site, then click your service provider and code.

How about this, instead. I have DirecTV. Give me a code for that and I'll enter it in the preferences on Apple TV, much like my Apple ID. When a channel needs to verify my DirecTV-ness, it can look up this code.

The ads are getting crazy as well. What used to be 10 seconds, skippable in 3 seconds has become a minute, or longer. I was trying to watch Parenthood and every time I moved the scrubber, I was treated to 2 minutes of ads. All I was trying to do was resume from where I had last watched it on the big screen. Infuriating!

The ad model has already ruined Youtube for my boys and will soon ruin viewing any content on the web. If we are forced to watch 2 minutes of ads every time we want to see a cute, viral video, the whole thing will come crashing down.

Greed. It sucks.

• Reply 31 of 69
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

This is a complete non-issue from someone who either doesn't own an aTV or can't be bothered to RTFM/Google.

Auto updates is an option in settings:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/tips/comments/enabling-automatic-apple-tv-software-updates

And if the update hadn't happened the alternative would likely be you'd get a pop-up telling you that you-tube is unavailable until you update because Google (rightly in this case) needs revenue to support the costs of hosting and streaming huge amounts of content.  Since the default is auto-update and the vast majority of Apple TVs probably don't get reset Google will just ignore the few that don't get updated rather than check the client version and block them.

When auto-updates bite you is if compatibility with your setup gets broken somehow because of the update.  7.0.1 had issues with airplay with some versions of aTV and apple replaced those units.  These were mostly older units and the most problematic where installations with a mix of wired and wireless aTVs on a common vlan (schools and corporations).

• Reply 32 of 69
    I just hope Netflix doesn't ever start ads.

Why would they need ads within their service? Subscriber costs cover their expenses plus provide their profit.
  • Reply 33 of 69
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I hope they kept YouTube ad free... Oh goddamnit. Does everything have to be infested with ads?

You know, I've noticed that the ads during the annual Victoria's Secret Fashion Show usually aren't that bad.

But to confirm my hypothesis, I will carefully watch tonight's broadcast. We need to be sure about this.

;) 

• Reply 34 of 69
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

The ad model has already ruined Youtube for my boys and will soon ruin viewing any content on the web. If we are forced to watch 2 minutes of ads every time we want to see a cute, viral video, the whole thing will come crashing down.

Greed. It sucks.

Leeches.  They suck.

If you don't like ads you have to pay.  Because servers and bandwidth costs the same whether it's for work or kitten videos.

Google may offer a pay YouTube option to skip ads which I would sign up for. 

http://www.wired.com/2014/10/keep-stars-happy-youtube-may-let-pay-skip-ads/

Vimeo has Vimeo on Demand for PPV.  That's something of a missed opportunity for Apple to have easily offered for content creators and aTV.

• Reply 35 of 69
    bugsnw wrote: »
    The way Apple makes you jump through hoops to view content on their LMN channel is silly. It's the same for ABC and other tiles. The Apple TV can't remember your code so every now and then, you click the tile and up pops a code. Then you have to remember it, jump off the couch, quickly log onto your computer, open Safari, remember the web site, then click your service provider and code.

How about this, instead. I have DirecTV. Give me a code for that and I'll enter it in the preferences on Apple TV, much like my Apple ID. When a channel needs to verify my DirecTV-ness, it can look up this code.

The ads are getting crazy as well. What used to be 10 seconds, skippable in 3 seconds has become a minute, or longer. I was trying to watch Parenthood and every time I moved the scrubber, I was treated to 2 minutes of ads. All I was trying to do was resume from where I had last watched it on the big screen. Infuriating!

Greed. It sucks.

Greed? YouTube is probably bleeding hundreds of millions of dollars a year for Google. If they can't make it profitable, it won't be there much longer. Frankly, they should offer people to buy a YouTube ad-free subscription...maybe $7.99-$9.99/month?

UPDATE: Google claims YouTube is profitable. http://www.thevideoink.com/news/youtube-profitable-2013-revenue-falls-short-estimates-report/
  • Reply 36 of 69
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by schlack View Post

meh. need amazon prime streaming app.

Why? Just stream it from your iDevice. What is the big deal?

• Reply 37 of 69
    Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Adding a channel to your landing page... only you have to click it to activate it. 

We’re talking about modifications to existing content.

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What part of my sentence "...add.. functionality" don't you get?

The only thing left to do is make a viable alternative to cable/satellite, and I wouldn’t call that just “add some functionality”.

• Reply 38 of 69
    YouTube now has ads, terrible update this go around. :-(

[SIZE=72px]THIS IS WHY I AM AGAINST APPLE’S ABILITY TO UPDATE YOUR SOFTWARE WITHOUT YOUR INPUT. THIS IS COMPLETE NONSENSE.[/SIZE]

I just hope Netflix doesn't ever start ads.

If they do, my subscription ends. I’m paying them money for a reason.
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Just add some functionality to set it apart from the copyists -- who are, for all practical purposes (except for AirPlay and iTunes Match), offering what you have now cheaper -- and put it out there.</span>

Would you mind using a larger font?

My eyesight's getting worse in my dotage. ????
  • Reply 39 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

While Apple has finally updated YouTube on their AppleTV, Amazon just added 4K streaming to theirs.

Bravo Apple, let's pimp Apple for more gay events shall we, because who cares about technology.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/09/amazon-prime-instant-video-4k/

Someone needs to resurrect Jobs.

Here is the thing. Third parties create the apps for Apple TV. So, if you are unhappy about the App, blame the company.

4K streaming is nice, but for Amazon content that would likely be a nightmare for most people. This is because unlike Netflix, Amazon doesn't automatically (or even manually) allow you to control the video quality. So, if your Internet bandwidth is slow or capped, look out. Netflix stutters fair less than Amazon because it evaluated the user's bandwidth and adjust the video quality accordingly.

• Reply 40 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

I could be wrong, but I suspect this is the fault of the App provider (e.g. showtime). I never have this problem for some apps like Netflix, Hulu Plus, or HBO Go. For some apps, like Showtime it happens all the time. It is annoying though.