Apple TV gets overhauled YouTube app, adds new channels for UFC, DailyMotion & more

Comments

• Reply 41 of 69
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Would you mind using a larger font?

My eyesight's getting worse in my dotage. ????

You don't think someone highlighting their ignorance in 72 point font is such a bright idea?

• Reply 42 of 69

UFC!! I hope we can rent fights!! 

• Reply 43 of 69

The more channels that are added, the more obvious it becomes that the Apple TV interface needs an overhaul. Right now, it's a complete mess from a user experience perspective.

Even the top row icons could use some changes. As an example, you have Movies, TV, Music, etc. across the top. When you go into Movies or TV, you should at least see both your Apple purchases to stream and anything stored on your computer to access locally through your network (you shouldn't have to go into a separate Computers icon -- it should all be organized in one place). Explaining how to access things to my kids made it obvious how stupid the current system works. 

Taking this a step further, the third-party apps could be integrated into the categories as well -- for example, click on Netflix under the TV icon and it shows you TV shows available through Netflix. Or find a TV show you want to watch and it displays all the sources on Apple TV it's available through  (e.g., purchase through Apple, view on Netflix, view on Hulu, etc.). 

Also, I hate how you have to go into system setting to switch between purchasing/renting HD or SD content. There are times when I want HD and times when I would like to save a buck and just view in SD (particularly kids shows). It should just be a simple selection on the page where you rent/purchase to choose what format you want. 

I think Apple could do a few relatively minor things and really improve how the Apple TV works. I am sure they have much grander plans, but who knows when that will actually all come about. In the meantime, they should think about making some improvements to the current system.

• Reply 44 of 69
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    I have an Apple TV Gen 2, I've got the UFC and Dailymotion apps, but the YouTube app hasn't changed. Is this a gen 3 only update, or not rolled out worldwide yet? (I'm in the UK)
  • Reply 45 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The only thing left to do is make a viable alternative to cable/satellite...

The "only thing"? Sorry, but that's nonsense simply not true.

• Reply 46 of 69
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Okay, what’s your suggestion for features?

• Reply 47 of 69
    Quote:

Okay, what’s your suggestion for features?

Please. How many times has it been brought up here?

1) Gaming (no, AirPlay is not enough).

2) Apps (no, AirPlay is not enough).

3) Better -- at least, updated -- interface (no, a font change doesn't count). Skimming through and choosing from my collection of thousands of artists/songs is a total pain.

4) Improved remote functionality (one or two more buttons wouldn't hurt).

5) Amazon streaming (not my thing, but I can see why it will be useful to millions; and no, the fact that Amazon is being childish vis-a-vis Apple is not an excuse -- what matters is what's useful to Apple users).

6) Some type of color correction setting for AirPlay.

7) Updated, more functional remote app for iPhone and iPad

8) Work with TV makers to integrate AppleTV functionality into their hardware (a la CarPlay)

9) 4K.

I am sure there many more such tweaks, well short of an Apple TV that could set it apart.

• Reply 48 of 69

It doesn’t store files, so yeah, AirPlay is enough.

2) Apps.

For what purpose? It’s a television. Have Channels.

What’s wrong with just doing it through the TV?

I’d like a 1:1 of the UI in Remote, myself. No sense in having to drag when you can just touch what you want.

8) Work with TV makers to integrate AppleTV functionality into their hardware (a la CarPlay)

And have a $500 markup over regular “smart” TVs?

9) 4K.

And H.265, of course, but that’s a given.

• Reply 49 of 69
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Quote:

THIS IS WHY I AM AGAINST APPLE’S ABILITY TO UPDATE YOUR SOFTWARE WITHOUT YOUR INPUT. THIS IS COMPLETE NONSENSE.

Hopefully people understand me now that it’s too late.

If they do, my subscription ends. I’m paying them money for a reason.

So you want exactly the same product they already have out now? What’s the point of that? An update is meaningless without the channel deals.

THEN TURN IT OFF!

• Reply 50 of 69
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

I love scrolling through hundreds of channels with the remote. It's a lot of fun!

• Reply 51 of 69
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

THEN TURN IT OFF!

Needs to be a bigger font.

• Reply 52 of 69

Im just waiting for the FiOS, TWC, etc icons to pop up and we can stream live/on demand over IP via the Apple TV. I know that Airplay is a work around but its a pain once the iDevice goes to sleep.

• Reply 53 of 69
    Quote:

It doesn’t store files, so yeah, AirPlay is enough.

2) Apps.

For what purpose? It’s a television. Have Channels.

What’s wrong with just doing it through the TV?

I’d like a 1:1 of the UI in Remote, myself. No sense in having to drag when you can just touch what you want.

And have a $500 markup over regular “smart” TVs?

9) 4K.

And H.265, of course, but that’s a given.

OK, I'll re-introduce the word: nonsense

• Reply 54 of 69
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »
    THEN TURN IT OFF!

I'll ask one more time. Are you sure you can turn it off? All I see are in an option not to update the Apple TV OS, but even with that off I've had channels appear on my Apple TV automatically.
  • Reply 55 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

THEN TURN IT OFF!

Im not at home to verify on my ATV3, but Im not sure you can do that since it isnt a full system software update. And besides, you know how much of a crazy Apple fanatic he is. If he is against something Apple is doing and can't change/disable that "feature", then there may not (presently) be a way to turn that feature off, short of not connecting it to the internet.

• Reply 56 of 69
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Apple adding TV channel here or their on Apple-TV is not a big deal. Just progression with time. What apple needs to do with apple-tv is to upgrade it's 64-bit processor(A8x) providing 4K video output so it can become living room hub supporting streaming,internet browsing and decent gaming platform.
  • Reply 57 of 69
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I have nothing useful to add to this thread.

Carry on chaps.

• Reply 58 of 69
    apple ][ wrote: »
    [SIZE=72px]I have nothing useful to add to this thread.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=72px]Carry on chaps.[/SIZE]

What?
  • Reply 59 of 69
    Originally Posted by joshuarayer View Post

And besides, you know how much of a crazy Apple fanatic he is. If he is against something Apple is doing and can't change/disable that "feature", then there may not (presently) be a way to turn that feature off, short of not connecting it to the internet.

I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I’m pretty sure Soli’s right on this one.

In any case, it’s not cool to force updates on anyone in any OS. I’d like to know why they do it for the Apple TV but allow choice in iOS proper and OS X. They’re trending toward forcing people to auto-update, so let’s hope we keep the choice.

After all, just ONE bad update for ONE day seems to have shattered confidence in new ones. How long before that trust is restored?

• Reply 60 of 69
    Quote:

I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I’m pretty sure Soli’s right on this one.

In any case, it’s not cool to force updates on anyone in any OS. I’d like to know why they do it for the Apple TV but allow choice in iOS proper and OS X. They’re trending toward forcing people to auto-update, so let’s hope we keep the choice.

After all, just ONE bad update for ONE day seems to have shattered confidence in new ones. How long before that trust is restored?

I completely agree with you on the software update front. I think all updates should require the user to at minimum have to set their preferences to update in the background and default to just informing you an update is available, even if it is minor stuff. I actually like updating software. I constantly check for updates on everything I have. I think for me, whenever I get an update, it makes me feel like my financial investments in hardware and software are being appreciated by providing updates that contain new features, bug fixes, etc.