Opinion: Touch ID improves iPad security at cost of Smart Cover unlock convenience

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 129
    Why would I want to unlock the screen with Touch ID when I don't need to? If my iPad never leaves home. I don't want to use Touch ID to unlock the screen. It's inconvenient and unnecessary. I could disable it altogether, but in this case I have to type my password in the App Store and in third party apps. Why? I don't want to, I have a Touch ID (it's convenient in these cases).
    The author (and I'm with him, since the release of the iPhone 5S) just wants an opportunity to choose where to use the Touch ID. He wants to use it in the AppStore and in third party apps, but not on the lock screen. Do you honestly think it's a bad idea?
  • Reply 122 of 129
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

He's right, though.

I'm pretty certain that Jobs wouldn't have authorised the on/off button to the side. It's a design flaw.

Rather than "flaw" I'd say, like the double-tap to "pull down" the home screen, it's an attempt to address the longer device and the concept of "one handed use".

• Reply 123 of 129
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    He's right, though.

I'm pretty certain that Jobs wouldn't have authorised the on/off button to the side. It's a design flaw.

Rather than "flaw" I'd say, like the double-tap to "pull down" the home screen, it's an attempt to address the longer device and the concept of "one handed use".

Which is a compromise too far, or a flaw.
  • Reply 124 of 129

I do think that Apple should start looking at how they can redesign the lockscreen experience. 

I noticed that ever since I got my 5s, I hardly ever have the opportunity to look at my lock screen notifications anymore. It's just so seamless to unlock my phone using Touch-ID that by the time I bring my 5s up to my face, my thumb has already rested itself on the home button and unlocked my phone. 

This also means I put the camera app on the home screen, because I don't get the opportunity to launch the camera from the lock screen much these days. 

Then there is also friction when swiping on notifications on the lock screen (for the times when I consciously press the power button). I swipe right, which brings up the number pad, then I have to press my finger against the home button to authenticate. Won't it be great if I could authenticate with Touch-ID as part of the swiping process? Granted, that would mean that the entire iPhone screen would need to function as one giant fingerprint sensor, which I suppose isn't feasible yet from an economical POV. 

It may sound like nit-picking to you, but isn't the whole promise of Apple that they will go to no expense to sweat out all these minor details for us so that they are not even issues? 

• Reply 125 of 129
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    It’s no more accessible and conflicts with the volume buttons.
    It's nigh on impossible to reach the top edge of an iPhone 6/+ with one hand, unless you have exceptionally long fingers. With the new placement of the sleep-wake button I can hit it with my thumb, one-handed. More accessible to me.

I don't see how it conflicts with the volume buttons, it's on the other side. Maybe if you're fiddling with the phone blindly while it's in your pocket, but I tend to use the volume controls on the remote rather than do that.
  • Reply 126 of 129
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

It's nigh on impossible to reach the top edge of an iPhone 6/+ with one hand, unless you have exceptionally long fingers.

I have squares for palms and stubby fingers and I can get to it just fine.

And that’s surprising, given the size of the phone. They must’ve built it right or something.

• Reply 127 of 129
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Fair enough. I can't do it without shifting my grip, contorting my hand, and putting the phone in a position where it's liable to slip out of my hand. Actually the iPhone 5 isn't great either. The new position works much better for me.
  • Reply 128 of 129
    dsuden wrote: »
    The author is so right. Reaching out and touching a button is such a terrible inconvenience. Rates right up there with the hassle of moving my hand up to my mouth to feed myself.

You still have to feed yourself? Pffft! That's like, so last week.
  • Reply 129 of 129
    EkaiiEkaii Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Many people just do not care to understand the use case.
    Opening the iPad like a book and use it straight away without having to touch a button was such a fantastic feeling of freedom. 
    This is such a massive regression for those iPad that just stay at home.
    actually that is even worse that in the article because if I completely disable Touch ID I still have to press the home button to unlock after opening the Smart Cover. Am I missing something?