Apple releases iOS 8.1.2 with fixes for missing iTunes ringtones

Comments

• Reply 41 of 80
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Are you aware if Apple still utilises information submitted through www.apple.com/feedback to address future software updates?

The answer is likely yes, considering the aforementioned URL is one of several feedback mechanisms that Apple clearly offers and is designed specifically for product feedback.

However each message is probably judged on whether the submitter includes useful, valid information.

OS X will generate error reports for some software crashes which contain a fair amount of technical data. That's another feedback mechanism.

Naturally, there is an internal process in categorizing and prioritizing enhancement requests which are likely separate from bug reports. All the high-tech companies have bug tracking systems. Predictably, the more serious and widespread issues are given higher priority than those that are less serious (e.g., cosmetic) or only occur to a very limited group of users.

• Reply 42 of 80
    Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

...jailbreak...

Who cares?

• Reply 43 of 80

iOS 8 has easily been the most problematic. What's awesome for Apple is that most of the issues are ineffable, indescribable anomalies that you can't isolate, but which contribute to a crappy user experience. A slowdown here, a soft reboot there, a jerky Springboard motion, an unresponsive Home button press (or five), a Bluetooth toggle that jumps back to Off when you try to slide it to On (have never been able to figure that one out), and so on. 

• Reply 44 of 80
    rogifan wrote: »
    Nope, image url copy still doesn't work. If I long press an image I get two options: Save Image and Copy. Copy doesn't do anything so it's obviously not copying anything.

Wow, it's been so long now, I can't remember there ever having been an option Copy Image Address in iOS. Always have to go to my Mac for that, a real PITA. Wish Apple would address this issue... sorry.
  • Reply 45 of 80

Events and Faces in the Photos app are still in random order :-(. Unfortunately, the search function will not let you search for either of these, so it is next to impossible for me to find anything.

• Reply 46 of 80
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mehran View Post

This is all nice and dandy... BUT PLEASE FIX THE WIFI ISSUE ON OS X

Here you go:  https://medium.com/@mariociabarra/wifried-ios-8-wifi-performance-issues-3029a164ce94

It outlines the cause of the problem in both iOS 8 and OS X 10.10.x, and how to fix at least the latter.

TL;DR:  ifconfig awdl0 down

• Reply 47 of 80
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

> jailbreak

Who cares?

A lot of us.

• Reply 48 of 80
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Well it works just fine now on my iPhone. Haven't tried it yet on my iPad, and the iPad im typing on right now still needs to be updated. Anyhow, I'm not sure if I understand you correctly: when I press and hold on an image I get the familiar popup with the familiar choices (Open Open in new tap Add to reading list Save image Copy Cancel) so obviously you mean an URL as plain text, correct? That works at my end as well: press and hold, tap select, move sliders and select Copy.

Nope, image url copy still doesn't work. If I long press an image I get two options: Save Image and Copy. Copy doesn't do anything so it's obviously not copying anything.

Weird. I get the full option suite. As for copying, I don't get any feedback, but the image can be pasted in an email or iMessage.

gtr wrote: »
    This update does not address, what I consider to be, a fairly serious issue with Photostream.

I turned off the iCloud Photo Library (Beta) because of the inability to stop ONLY videos from uploading.

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">This was important to me for two reasons:</span>

1). I only have a standard 5 GB account and didn't want to have all that taken up by the occasional casual video that I have a tendency to take from time to time.

2). Every time it uploaded photos and videos it would utilise almost 100% of my internet bandwidth, causing my whole internet experience to come to a shuddering, wheezing mess of a crawl. You can forget about watching streamed movies on your Apple TV or anything else when it does one of these uploads in the background.

Unfortunately, utilising the original Photostream method instead of iCloud Photo Library brought it's own problems as well as there is a bug that causes Photostream photos to be deleted if the original images are deleted from the Camera Roll on the original device.

How this got past beta testing I have no idea.

This behaviour never used to occur and their are numerous complaints from others on various support forums who mention experiencing the same thing.

I suspect this is related to Apple's decision to re-instate Camera Roll after it's removal in iOS 8.

It still occurs with this update.

The only other issues that I've noticed previously with iOS 8 is the text selection issue mentioned earlier (supposedly fixed), 'Multitasking Gestures' regularly turning itself off (a shame, as I frequently use the 'Five-Finger-Point-Palm-Exploding-Heart' technique to exit Safari and others apps to return to the Home screen), and the 'Change with Buttons' sound option frequently failing to adjust the volume and having to be toggled off/on to get it working again (this issue has actually been occurring for years). <span style="line-height:1.4em;">I am unsure yet whether these last two issues are addressed by this update.</span>

Fingers crossed, I guess.

Sad to read this. I also tried out the iCloud Photo Library, but since I wasn't able to create new Albums through Safari I turned it off again as I needed my Albums that I created in Aperture on my iPhone.

As for the 5 finger swipe...works at my end, also before this update.

As for the network congestion, I haven't experienced this, though my testing time frame may have been way shorter than yours for me to notice.

Giving Apple feedback through their webpage has never worked for me. but the poster at the bottom of page 1 in this thread made several valid points.

mehran wrote: »
    I have a MacbookPro with multiple screen watching various charts updating automatically and suddenly without notice I realize the chart data is not updating or when I click on a website the information does not show up fast.  I often think it might be just a slow site or the net is clogged up and after a few more seconds I check the Wifi icon and notice it is inactive.

I have to disable WIFI and enable WIFI and I am back withins seconds.  The recent patch improve the situation but it is still happening about 5-10 times a day.  I have not been able to figure a common routine but it keeps happening.

I have bluetooth mouse, keyboard, iphone, ipad, etc...

Sorry for missing your point, but this article describes an update for iOS. How are your issues related to that?

darkvader wrote: »
    AVOID INSTALLING THIS YET!!!

The jailbreak hasn't been updated for it, beware!

LOL
  • Reply 49 of 80
    andyapple wrote: »

Wow, it's been so long now, I can't remember there ever having been an option Copy Image Address in iOS. Always have to go to my Mac for that, a real PITA. Wish Apple would address this issue... sorry.

Without wanting to come across as patronising, but has it ever occurred to you to choose from the option to open the image in a new tab, and then copying the URL from the address bar in that newly created tab? Or don't you get the option "Open in New Tab", the 2nd in the list?
  • Reply 50 of 80
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    ktappe wrote: »
    A lot of us.

Big fan of installing unknown software modifications from utterly unknown Chinese entities, huh?
  • Reply 51 of 80
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Meanwhile Apple's relationship with developers seems to be getting worse. Apple really needs to get its shit together here. And perhaps some heads need to role. I believe developer relations is under Phil Schiller. Perhaps he needs an early retirement. Apple could use a fresh marketing perspective anyway.

http://www.marco.org/2014/12/09/get-the-word-out
    During [a conversation with someone at App Review], I also asked specifically why Launcher was removed from the App Store after 9 days when other similar apps are still available weeks later. The answer to this question was the most interesting and informative response I had ever heard from them. They basically said that Launcher was a trailblazer in uncharted territories and that they felt that they needed to make an example of it in order to get the word out to developers that its functionality is not acceptable without them having to publish new specific guidelines. And they said that the fact that they aren’t seeing hundreds of similar apps submitted every day is proof to them that taking down Launcher was successful in this regard.

This was a pretty big revelation to me. After Launcher was rejected and the press picked up on it and started writing articles which painted Apple in a bad light, I was afraid that Apple might be mad at me. But it turns out that was actually the outcome they were looking for all along. They acted swiftly and made me the sacrificial lamb. And after that, removing other apps with similar functionality became a low priority for them.
  • Reply 52 of 80
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Without wanting to come across as patronising, but has it ever occurred to you to choose from the option to open the image in a new tab, and then copying the URL from the address bar in that newly created tab? Or don't you get the option "Open in New Tab", the 2nd in the list?

When I long press on an image I get two options: Save Image or Copy. Pre iOS 8 if you tapped on copy it would copy the image url. It no longer does that in iOS 8, except for a select few websites (like Twitter). Most times if you select copy it does absolutely nothing. Very annoying. And I also noticed that the text selection is the same as it was before this latest update so that was not fixed (at least for me).
  • Reply 53 of 80
    One thing I'd like to see implemented: Block ads that hijack web pages in Safari for iOS and immediately send the user to the App Store. This happens all the time on regular web sites (not warez, or whatever people call it these days).
    I thought I heard such a feature in IOS 8, turns out not.

I also want AdBlock for Safari. Especially any video content.
    Totally
    I think it's silly that you need a wifi connection for something that says 28.2 MB OTA , whats up with that?
    risk of losing connection is higher.
  • Reply 54 of 80
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mehran View Post

This is all nice and dandy... BUT PLEASE FIX THE WIFI ISSUE ON OS X

No iOS update is ever going to address that.

• Reply 55 of 80
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    ktappe wrote: »
    Here you go:  https://medium.com/@mariociabarra/wifried-ios-8-wifi-performance-issues-3029a164ce94

It outlines the cause of the problem in both iOS 8 and OS X 10.10.x, and how to fix at least the latter.

TL;DR:  ifconfig awdl0 down
    Fixing a problem by disabling a feature lots of people use daily is not a fix, period.
  • Reply 56 of 80

Can ANYONE Say Spotlight

After the last two updates, Spotlight gets all screwy.

I use it to launch my iOS8 Apps, but Apps don't propagate, even though they are moved as my first choice in Spotlight settings.

Anyone??

• Reply 57 of 80

That option only appears if the image in question acts as a link to a separate page, such as to view full size. If it's just a static image you don't get that.
  • Reply 58 of 80
    BuffyzDead wrote: »
    Can ANYONE Say Spotlight

After the last two updates, Spotlight gets all screwy.

I use it to launch my iOS8 Apps, but Apps don't propagate, even though they are moved as my first choice in Spotlight settings.

Anyone??
    I've just contracted this problem too. Oh good :-(
  • Reply 59 of 80
    I've just contracted this problem too. Oh good :-(
    Odd! Now Apps do appear. Wow AI how did you do that? No joke.
  • Reply 60 of 80

When I long press on an image I get two options: Save Image or Copy. Pre iOS 8 if you tapped on copy it would copy the image url. It no longer does that in iOS 8, except for a select few websites (like Twitter). Most times if you select copy it does absolutely nothing. Very annoying. And I also noticed that the text selection is the same as it was before this latest update so that was not fixed (at least for me).

Didn't know that. I learn something every day, thanks. Shitty that the text selection still doesn't work at your end.

andyapple wrote: »

That option only appears if the image in question acts as a link to a separate page, such as to view full size. If it's just a static image you don't get that.

Again, I learn something today. That's the same at my end. I don't get why this has changed...