Natalie Portman declines role in Steve Jobs biopic

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member

Or maybe they've realized that no one outside Apple fanatics give a shit about Steve Jobs? IF this movie gets made it'll be a complete failure because people simply do not care about him. He's not worthy of getting movie after movie made about him and it won't be successful because literally no one outside these sites cared or cares about him. It should be canned because it's a pointless movie about a man no one cares about.

• Reply 42 of 59
    hkz wrote: »

Or maybe they've realized that no one outside Apple fanatics give a shit about Steve Jobs? IF this movie gets made it'll be a complete failure because people simply do not care about him. He's not worthy of getting movie after movie made about him and it won't be successful because literally no one outside these sites cared or cares about him. It should be canned because it's a pointless movie about a man no one cares about.

Plenty of good movies could be made about Jobs. This is probably not one of them.
  • Reply 43 of 59
    hkz wrote: »

So what you're saying is that a movie should not be made about Steve Jobs because no-one cares about him?

I wasn't sure; perhaps you could clarify.
  • Reply 44 of 59
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenoz View Post

This biopic is often referred to as 'troubled' by the media these days.

And I wonder, why? I don't think I've heard a good reason why so many of the main actors have committed to it, and then dropped-out.

Too much pressure impersonating a tech-god and his family? Is Steve Jobs not likable for an American movie-going audience?

Lousy/tyrannical/non-team-player director(s), other actors, production company, etc?

Not enough money?

Perhaps because only Apple-owners will go to see it?

Is this movie cursed?

I've only seen the Apple fan sites refer to it as 'troubled' because referring to anything Apple as 'troubled' seems to fire up the troops.  In this case it only is getting a luke warm response even from the fans.  The rest of the media simply isn't referring to the film at all....

• Reply 45 of 59
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member

Script dead in water, no bankable talent, and by projected release date most moviegoers won't known who Steve Jobs even was.

Like that paparazzi on TMZ who were shocked to learn Bette Midler was originally known for her raunchy act. 

How soon we forget, the plague of the Internet attention span. 

• Reply 46 of 59
    By now, most people are bored with the whole Steve Jobs iconic leader story. Did the other film do well? Never liked that Kelso dude, I never bothered to see it and I worked at Apple for many years. I liked iSteve because it was ridiculous and stupidly funny. For a serious look at the history of what made Bill Gates and SJ so rich and successful, nothing will beat Pirates of Silicon Valley to me, because the actors looked like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates and the script was pretty good. It covered a lot of ground, and it showed the ugly side of Jobs pretty well.
  • Reply 47 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

So get Keira Knightly, she's just as pretty, and a better actress.

Best news of the day by far - she should actually decline every single role, ever; what a terrible "actress".

• Reply 48 of 59
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

She knows what all the other SJ biopic drop-outs know:

It's not a comic-book superhero/JJ Abrams movie.

There won't be any insane camera shake, nor any lens flare.

You'll be able to see things.

We can't have that, now can we. 

Bad acting not covered over my massive amounts of CGI??

• Reply 49 of 59
    crowley wrote: »
    Nope. Interesting, not surprising. Depressingly.

Actually, not interesting at all.

Save it for a feminist blog please.
  • Reply 50 of 59
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    oneaburns wrote: »
    Save it for a feminist blog please.
    Ok, when comments on appearance are saved for the commenter's own private thoughts.

What Natalie Portman, Keira Knightley and others look like has nothing to do with their ability (or lack thereof) to perform the role. Unless you're commenting that they resemble the character they're supposed to be playing, but no one was doing that.
  • Reply 51 of 59
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

So get Keira Knightly, she's just as pretty, and a better actress.

She has just done a movie about a computer genius - the Alan Turing movie.

• Reply 52 of 59
    I think I know why she turned it down; it has nothing to do with the project itself. First, let me say Aaron Sorkin is an amazing screen writer. I have the utmost confidence in his work. Coincidentally, I just caught myself up with the latest episode of The Newsroom, a series on HBO of which he wrote the screenplays for - brilliantly written.

My first cousin went to Harvard with both Lisa Jobs and Natalie Portman in her graduating class. In fact Lisa was her roommate and they are still good friends. I do know the book of which the screenplay is based on isn't 100% accurate. The book says that Steve Jobs never went to Lisa's graduation ceremony. This is simply not true. My uncle says Steve sat in the row of seats directly in front of him. My uncle and Mr. Jobs were acquainted long ago before the graduation. He invited my aunt and uncle and other cousins to his house in Palo Alto for dinner once in order to meet the family of his daughter's college roommate. Recently, Lisa attended my cousin's wedding.

I think Portman turned it down because of her personal bonding with Lisa. The fact that the book in which the screenplay was based is not accurate may also have something to do with it. Also, from what I know about Zuckerberg, Sorkin's The Social Network screenplay has a lot of dramatized fiction in it, rather than accuracy. Since the Social Network also takes place at Harvard, the inaccuracies of that screenplay must have really hit home with Portman - enough so to discourage her to have anything to do with another inaccurate screenplay concerning the family of a friend and classmate.

I'll have to ask my cousin next time I see her...
  • Reply 53 of 59
    peteralt wrote: »
    I think I know why she turned it down; it has nothing to do with the project itself. First, let me say Aaron Sorkin is an amazing screen writer. I have the utmost confidence in his work. Coincidentally, I just caught myself up with the latest episode of The Newsroom, a series on HBO of which he wrote the screenplays for - brilliantly written.

My first cousin went to Harvard with both Lisa Jobs and Natalie Portman in her graduating class. In fact Lisa was her roommate and they are still good friends. I do know the book of which the screenplay is based on isn't 100% accurate. The book says that Steve Jobs never went to Lisa's graduation ceremony. This is simply not true. My uncle says Steve sat in the row of seats directly in front of him. My uncle and Mr. Jobs were acquainted long ago before the graduation. He invited my aunt and uncle and other cousins to his house in Palo Alto for dinner once in order to meet the family of his daughter's college roommate. Recently, Lisa attended my cousin's wedding.

I think Portman turned it down because of her personal bonding with Lisa. The fact that the book in which the screenplay was based is not accurate may also have something to do with it. Also, from what I know about Zuckerberg, Sorkin's The Social Network screenplay has a lot of dramatized fiction in it, rather than accuracy. Since the Social Network also takes place at Harvard, the inaccuracies of that screenplay must have really hit home with Portman - enough so to discourage her to have anything to do with another inaccurate screenplay concerning the family of a friend and classmate.

I'll have to ask my cousin next time I see her...

Perhaps you should think twice before divulging private family matters here just for the attention. In my opinion, you should shut it.
  • Reply 54 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

That's like picking the lesser of two evils. No thanks to both Portman & Knightly

hmmmmm... so true.. get me instead.. hahahha

• Reply 55 of 59
    Perhaps you should think twice before divulging private family matters here just for the attention. In my opinion, you should shut it.
    I didn't divulge names or any private info, just possible motives behind Portman declining the role.

Before I posted, I discussed it with my sister, who agreed that this could be the reason for the rejection.

People need to know that Aaron Sorkin is a great writer and the project's problems have nothing to do with the script which is probably great.

People also need to know that the book is inaccurate. I am defending the family, if anything, by saying this.

Additionally, my uncle wrote to the author of the book and asked that he apologize or remove the bit in the book about Lisa's graduation only to get no answer. If the author won't right his wrong by making that fact public, it only amplifies the fact that I've done the right thing by making it public now in my post.

If Mr. Jobs knew about the inaccuracies of his book, he would be turning in his grave. I just mentioned one inaccuracy that the author was caught telling. I could just imagine that there are more. Sorkin's screenplay probably adds even more to that.

It is no wonder then why Portman turned it down. She wants nothing to do with it. In fact, my cousin told me Lisa refused to watch the first bio pic that was released, which I thought did a great job in attempting to be as accurate as possible. I can just imagine what is being felt with a film that is blatantly inaccurate.
  • Reply 56 of 59
    I didn't divulge names or any private info, just possible motives behind Portman declining the role.

Before I posted, I discussed it with my sister, who agreed that this could be the reason for the rejection.

People need to know that Aaron Sorkin is a great writer and the project's problems have nothing to do with the script which is probably great.

People also need to know that the book is inaccurate. I am defending the family, if anything, by saying this.

Additionally, my uncle wrote to the author of the book and asked that he apologize or remove the bit in the book about Lisa's graduation only to get no answer. If the author won't right his wrong by making that fact public, it only amplifies the fact that I've done the right thing by making it public now in my post.

If Mr. Jobs knew about the inaccuracies of his book, he would be turning in his grave. I just mentioned one inaccuracy that the author was caught telling. I could just imagine that there are more. Sorkin's screenplay probably adds even more to that.

It is no wonder then why Portman turned it down. She wants nothing to do with it. In fact, my cousin told me Lisa refused to watch the first bio pic that was released, which I thought did a great job in attempting to be as accurate as possible. I can just imagine what is being felt with a film that is blatantly inaccurate.

How about granting an exclusive interview with the writers here at AI instead? At least you'll have a chance that the story will be picked up by other news organizations. Just posting in a thread will get you nothing.
  • Reply 57 of 59
    How about granting an exclusive interview with the writers here at AI instead? At least you'll have a chance that the story will be picked up by other news organizations. Just posting in a thread will get you nothing.
    Why would they run a story on third party speculation? Unless I confirm it first with my cousin, it's not news.

The only thing confirmed is the part about the untruth in the book concerning the graduation.
  • Reply 58 of 59
    Why would they run a story on third party speculation? Unless I confirm it first with my cousin, it's not news.

The only thing confirmed is the part about the untruth in the book concerning the graduation.

All they do here is publish third party speculation... You're golden!
  • Reply 59 of 59
    All they do here is publish third party speculation... You're golden!
    I feel uncomfortable and flattered. They run these boards, so they see this and can contact me, if they want.