Apple TV gets overhauled YouTube app, adds new channels for UFC, DailyMotion & more

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It doesn’t store files, so yeah, AirPlay is enough.

For what purpose? It’s a television. Have Channels.

1) A newer ATV could correct that. I think the current ones have 4GB of built-in storage but that may just be for the OS and caching streaming video.

2) It could compete with video game consoles. $100 for an ATV plus free to $15 games is a lot better option to a $350+ console (assuming Xbox One or PS4) and $60 games. I don't have the numbers but I would like to think that the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad have put a dent in Nintendo's handheld gaming market. So why not move into the TV gaming realm and introduce either a physical control pad or an Apple made app for iOS acts as a gamepad for games played on the ATV? If the iPhone or iPad was just a controller, the battery life would be better and it wouldn't get hot from playing something as detailed as Infinity Blade since the game is on the ATV.

• Reply 62 of 69
    Originally Posted by joshuarayer View Post

think the current ones have 4GB of built-in storage but that may just be for the OS and caching streaming video.

It’s 8, but that’s what it’s for; yep.

2) It could compete with video game consoles. $100 for an ATV plus free to $15 games is a lot better option to a $350+ console

You know, as much as I used to hate it (still do), I’m starting to warm to the idea of native Apple TV games.

Say an Apple TV with an A9 in it. Supports 2160p video (all new iTunes content to match) at H.265. Completely and utterly blows away not only the compatibility and power of everything else on the market, but makes buying an Apple TV the only possible choice due to its even HerD (pronounced “ay-cher-dee”) content library.

And that’s just the video side. Redesign the thing to have persistent storage and give it Bluetooth 4... I dunno. We’ll start seeing console-quality games pretty soon. Standardize a controller layout* and Sony/Microsoft will wet their pants.

*this is the only acceptable controller layout:

stick           buttons

d-pad        stick

• Reply 63 of 69
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    trumptman wrote: »
    I also need the Amazon Prime app. Out of the various streaming boxes in my house (Wii, Wii U, PS3, Roku, Blue-Ray Player) only the Apple TV is missing Amazon Prime and increasingly it is my least used TV streaming box because of the need to hide all these new channels. The Roku has a channel store where I can add only the channels I need. I was allowed to order the Amazon Fire stick for only $20 at a promotional price. The Wii, PS3 and Wii U all have Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu as well.

Apple is the only odd man out here. 

The one thing I find VERY odd is that Apple has no streaming video music channel. The PS3 has VidZone and the Roku has the VEVO app. I know Apple has the VEVO channel as well but I'm just saying it is odd they don't have their own channel for videos when they offer streaming radio for iTunes and Beats. It could be a good value added proposition for them considering their price is so much higher than the competition at this stage.

You can do Amazon prime on your iOS device, can't you just airplay to the Apple tv?
  • Reply 64 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Please. How many times has it been brought up here?

1) Gaming (no, AirPlay is not enough).

2) Apps (no, AirPlay is not enough).

3) Better -- at least, updated -- interface (no, a font change doesn't count). Skimming through and choosing from my collection of thousands of artists/songs is a total pain.

4) Improved remote functionality (one or two more buttons wouldn't hurt).

5) Amazon streaming (not my thing, but I can see why it will be useful to millions; and no, the fact that Amazon is being childish vis-a-vis Apple is not an excuse -- what matters is what's useful to Apple users).

6) Some type of color correction setting for AirPlay.

7) Updated, more functional remote app for iPhone and iPad

8) Work with TV makers to integrate AppleTV functionality into their hardware (a la CarPlay)

9) 4K.

I am sure there many more such tweaks, well short of an Apple TV that could set it apart.

In my opinion, they need start with number 3 --  making some basic user interface adjustments first (per my earlier post). All the other stuff is great, but not without the basics that make things easy and joyful to use (which right now suffers greatly). 

• Reply 65 of 69
    xixoxixo Posts: 450member

UFC. That's what I call family entertainment.

• Reply 66 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

*this is the only acceptable controller layout:

stick           buttons

d-pad        stick

I concur

• Reply 67 of 69
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I also need the Amazon Prime app. Out of the various streaming boxes in my house (Wii, Wii U, PS3, Roku, Blue-Ray Player) only the Apple TV is missing Amazon Prime and increasingly it is my least used TV streaming box because of the need to hide all these new channels. The Roku has a channel store where I can add only the channels I need. I was allowed to order the Amazon Fire stick for only $20 at a promotional price. The Wii, PS3 and Wii U all have Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu as well.

but those other devices are the odd men out for me -- they dont have iTunes apps. i have much more invested in itunes content than i do amazon content. for the very little content i need Amazon to get, it's pretty simple to airplay it. for me, that makes the ATV more valuable than the other devices, which have no way to access iTunes content whatsoever.

I see your point and the iTunes content is a compelling proposition that could still allow Apple to charge a premium however lack of critical apps isn't something Apple can forgo, especially given their own lack of streaming solution with regard to flat rate for unlimited types of content. Amazon has a good amount of content and bundling it with their shipping is something a lot of people can buy into. Apple needs to get Amazon on the Apple TV.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by schlack View Post

meh. need amazon prime streaming app.

Why? Just stream it from your iDevice. What is the big deal?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBDragon View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

The one thing I find VERY odd is that Apple has no streaming video music channel. The PS3 has VidZone and the Roku has the VEVO app. I know Apple has the VEVO channel as well but I'm just saying it is odd they don't have their own channel for videos when they offer streaming radio for iTunes and Beats. It could be a good value added proposition for them considering their price is so much higher than the competition at this stage.

You can do Amazon prime on your iOS device, can't you just airplay to the Apple tv?

Using double the devices to get the same thing a single device can get and using a giant kludge is exactly the OPPOSITE of what Apple should stand for in terms of user experience and outcomes. I didn't buy an Apple TV and an iPhone so I can use one to get content onto the other that Apple won't provide via an app on the Apple TV. Instead I'll use the Fire Stick or Wii or whatever but then Apple has opened the door to a competitor starting to get those dollars instead of Apple.

When I go to rent a movie maybe now the money ends up going to Amazon instead of Apple. It isn't a big deal but then nothing ever starts off that way. The new small thing just happens to suddenly become a big deal and suddenly the past giants suddenly become extinct dinosaurs. Apple is busy selling $100 devices and people are noting their are great for using with all the content they bought through iTunes. Meanwhile competitors are selling $35-$50 boxes that work with an array of $7-10 a month services all based around streaming of movies, music and what have you. One is the future and the other the past. Who is Apple going to have to scoop up for billions to help them with their streaming video service?

• Reply 68 of 69
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    trumptman wrote: »
    I see your point and the iTunes content is a compelling proposition that could still allow Apple to charge a premium however lack of critical apps isn't something Apple can forgo, especially given their own lack of streaming solution with regard to flat rate for unlimited types of content. Amazon has a good amount of content and bundling it with their shipping is something a lot of people can buy into. Apple needs to get Amazon on the Apple TV.

Using double the devices to get the same thing a single device can get and using a giant kludge is exactly the OPPOSITE of what Apple should stand for in terms of user experience and outcomes. I didn't buy an Apple TV and an iPhone so I can use one to get content onto the other that Apple won't provide via an app on the Apple TV. Instead I'll use the Fire Stick or Wii or whatever but then Apple has opened the door to a competitor starting to get those dollars instead of Apple.

When I go to rent a movie maybe now the money ends up going to Amazon instead of Apple. It isn't a big deal but then nothing ever starts off that way. The new small thing just happens to suddenly become a big deal and suddenly the past giants suddenly become extinct dinosaurs. Apple is busy selling $100 devices and people are noting their are great for using with all the content they bought through iTunes. Meanwhile competitors are selling $35-$50 boxes that work with an array of $7-10 a month services all based around streaming of movies, music and what have you. One is the future and the other the past. Who is Apple going to have to scoop up for billions to help them with their streaming video service?

You assume Apple is the reason there is no Amazon app on the Apple TV. Maybe Amazon is the reason.
  • Reply 69 of 69

Block Youtube on your Apple TV and everywhere!

http://www.cultofmac.com/305659/ads-make-apple-tvs-new-youtube-app-worse-old-one/

Come on! Isn't it time to upload and or watch those priceless videos somewhere else and stop making $$ for google??

:smokey: