Google's Nexus 6 abandoned fingerprint sensor after failed attempt to catch up with Apple's Touch ID

Comments

• Reply 21 of 93

I know there are a ton of great uses for TouchID (Apple Pay, App store authentication, etc.). But one of my favorite features of my iPhone 6 is the ability to use TouchID to unlock it by keeping my thumb on the home button after pressing it. That's elegance in design.

• Reply 22 of 93

Cool, this looks like a new iPhone and the website looks like Apple.com. Even the marketing photos look as if they are from Apple directly. Innovation here at its finest!

• Reply 23 of 93

As I always say, google SUCKS A$$ doing anything except stealing people's online activities and selling Ads ....

Yup! google team of dumb morons are finally learning that copying software is a lot easier than hardware ... and now they are stuck to keep up! :smokey:

• Reply 24 of 93

The problem for Google is, they have to respect patents and laws and stuff. That's obviously not the case for Chinese companies that sell their products in China. I don't think that this iPhone-Clone will ever be sold here.

• Reply 25 of 93
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member

I'm sure the cloners will eventually catch up to Apple's Touch ID, but I do have to say that Touch ID on iPhone 6 works exceptionally well. Not having it on my other iOS devices definitely takes them down a notch. I rarely use Siri, but I use Touch ID all of the time and with every app that supports it.                             

• Reply 26 of 93
    Not that anyone here would ever do anything considered "illegal" now or in the future, but there is a significant trade off one makes when one chooses to use the unbreakable security of Touch ID versus an unlock code.

The courts have ruled that you cannot refuse a law enforcement order to open your iPhone (or iPad) using your finger/thumbprint, but you can refuse to divulge your code. This is because of an unbelievable court ruling that said because your fingerprint is something you have, versus something you created (a password), you can be compelled to open your device legally.

I consider this yet another unconstitutional incursion on the rights of Americans, namely to be secure in their effects and against unreasonable search, but there is now legal precedent. Rest assured I won't be using Touch ID alone. It'll be in combination with a passcode.

You may want to consider this if either security or your rights are a concern.

http://m.imore.com/court-rules-cops-can-compel-you-surrender-your-fingerprint-unlock-iphone
  • Reply 27 of 93

Apple's going to roll ahead into the future of secure payments both online and offline with its fingerprint ID and secure enclave enabled by its mastery of 64-bit processing power.  In the fall of next year when retailers will practically be forced to install NFC POS readers, IF Apple can show there have been NO HACKS of ApplePay, after billions of transactions, Samsung/Android will be scrambling if not lost.

• Reply 28 of 93
    sog35 wrote: »
    And yet there are still idiots on this very forum that said TouchID is no big deal and that Android could EASILY copy this feature.

In fact some dope here was hyping some ripoff Chinese POS phones that bragged about having a fingerprint sensor without swiping.

If Google/Moto can't make a good TouchID clone you think a POS Chinese company can? Hell no.

TouchID has yet to be duplicated successfully.

Googs will just declare the AuthenTEC patents "standards essential" and get their buddies in Congress to seize the patents from Apple under the banner of "patent reform." And the haters will fall in line and demand it, because Googs does no evil.
  • Reply 29 of 93
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member

They could have gone with the google monocle that reads retina info and unlocks the device, break a shit product in two and presto. 

• Reply 30 of 93
    sog35 wrote: »
    easy work around.

All you need to do is reboot your phone. You need to enter the passcode after reboot or 24 hours of non use.

I doubt any law enforcement would be able to force you to open your phone within 24 hours of being arrested. You could easily stall and say your lawyer needs to show up first.

Possibly, but more likely scenario is that you are caught off guard and your phone is confiscated, then you're legally forced to apply your finger or thumb to unlock immediately. I don't believe a search warrant even need be issued in this instance.
  • Reply 31 of 93
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rcone View Post

I just got my first touch ID devices - iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6 Plus. I used to think I didn't really need that feature, but now I don't know how I'd live without it.

Yes, I love it on my iPhone 6, when I grab my iPad 3, I really miss it!!!!  It works so well.  For me it's 100% perfect every time.  The only time it fails if I use the wrong finger for whatever reason.  So really, that's not a fail, but working like it should!!!  It's so fast, from first touching the sensor to the home screen is under a second.  I don't even get a chance to see the Notifications when the screen turns on before it's already on the home screen. 

When I was at Thanksgiving, one my my cousins had the Note 4, and I was next to him when he was trying to get on using that Finger Print scanner.  It of course FAILED the first time he tried.   Then had to do it again, perfectly which takes a bit of time, and of course is a 2 handed job to even do.   Here I'm thinking, it's the same OLD crap that I did when I had my HP iPaq Windows Mobile 5 PDA and it's swipe scanner on it.  Swiping sucks!!!  I had a Microsoft fingerprint scanner a number of years ago also, which was a full finger scanner and I had issues with that one also.  Apple's TouchID on my iPhone 6 just works so good.  I don't know how well it worked on the 5S in comparison to the 6.   It's a night and day difference with Apple's to everyone else it seems.

• Reply 32 of 93
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjer View Post

I know there are a ton of great uses for TouchID (Apple Pay, App store authentication, etc.). But one of my favorite features of my iPhone 6 is the ability to use TouchID to unlock it by keeping my thumb on the home button after pressing it. That's elegance in design.

That's the thing.  I have never seen a Finger Print scanner built into a button on any device ever before Apple did it!!!  From when you first push the button to turn it on and release and it scans your finger, it all happens in under a second from Off to being at the home screen.  It's so fast, I don't get a chance to see what the hell was on the lock screen.  Best of all, it works 100% of the time for me.  

• Reply 33 of 93
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rcone View Post

I just got my first touch ID devices - iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6 Plus. I used to think I didn't really need that feature, but now I don't know how I'd live without it.

That's my plan, too rcone! :)

• Reply 34 of 93

I moved from the iPhone 5 to the 6+ this year.  And while I love the big screen of the 6+, I think that -- all things considered -- TouchID very well may be my favorite feature of the new device.  Unlocking the phone or using the sensor for Apple Pay or purchases from the App Store/iTunes is nearly faultless.  The only time TouchID prompted me for a retry was when my fingers & thumb were slightly wet or oily.  One wipe on the t-shirt and voila!  I love love love TouchID!  Everyone else will forever be playing catch-up on this feature/function.

• Reply 35 of 93
    Funny thing is motorola had the motorola atrix that had an fingerprint scanner. Would have been fitting to see it again given motorola made the nexus.
  • Reply 36 of 93
    i believe if this happens, you can purposely tap your phone 5 times with a non-authorized finger (like your middle one? lol), and your phone will revert to a mode where your PIN is required as Fingerprint ID will no longer work.
    Possibly, but more likely scenario is that you are caught off guard and your phone is confiscated, then you're legally forced to apply your finger or thumb to unlock immediately. I don't believe a search warrant even need be issued in this instance.[/quote]
  • Reply 37 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rezwits View Post

I still laugh at how easy FaceTime is and I don't see anyone able to compete with Apple on that front...

I do miss the 2+ feature that iChat had.

• Reply 38 of 93
    Originally Posted by SpiceWare View Post

I do miss the 2+ feature that iChat had.

Still there, yeah?

• Reply 39 of 93
    it could still work, just put at the back where the nexus/moto logo dimple is.
  • Reply 40 of 93

"Software on mobile phones is like baby-software. Today we're going to show you a software breakthrough. Software that's 5-years ahead of what's on any other phone." — Steve Jobs, MacWorld 2007

That 5-year head start is still busting the balls of Apple's competitors.