United Airlines to deploy Apple's iPhone 6 Plus to more than 23,000 flight attendants worldwide

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2014
United Airlines on Wednesday announced that it will equip more than 23,000 flight attendants with Apple's iPhone 6 Plus next year, allowing them to handle onboard transactions as well as accessing company email and other internal information.

Safety and service information will be available to United Airlines flight attendants with the iPhone 6 Plus, once distribution begins in the second quarter of 2015. The airline was also among the first to begin deploying iPads to pilots in the cockpit in 2011, and has renewed that plan for the iPad Air 2 this year.

"We are thrilled to make this investment in our flight attendants," said Sam Risoli, United's senior vice president of inflight services. "iPhone 6 Plus will enable them to deliver an even higher level of flyer-friendly service and will offer our flight attendants simple, one-touch access to valuable work information, enabling them to better serve our customers."

At launch, flight attendants will be able to handle most onboard retail transactions with the iPhone 6 Plus, and will also be allowed to access company email, united.com, and the company's Intranet, as well as policies and procedures manuals.

United Airlines plans to expand the functions of its iPhone 6 Plus deployment over time, including replacing flight attendants' printed safety manual with an electronic version, as well as providing real-time reporting and improved follow-up on aircraft cabin issues and repairs. United is also planning to develop a number of customer-focused tools for the device.

In addition to equipping its flight attendants and pilots with Apple hardware, United Airlines has also extended support to customers with iOS devices, launching an update to its official app earlier this year to provide passengers with free in-flight video content.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    The iP6 will more more of an "iPad Mini Killer" than anything. I'm loving my iP6+ and I use my iPad even less since I got it. Only time I use it now is as an eBook reader - which it is perfect for, but too big for anything else.

Great move United Airlines!!
  • Reply 2 of 46

Cool. Now let's get those devices in the hands of every airline employee.

• Reply 3 of 46
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

This is outrageous! There are cheaper options available than this overpriced toy! What was United thinking when they made this boneheaded decision? This definitely means higher priced tickets for the flying public. Like the iPad deal for the LAUSD this should be investigated and stopped by the shareholders. Galaxy Notes would be a much better choice, cheaper, and not locked down.

Wait for it...

• Reply 4 of 46
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    lmao
    I was going to post something similar.
    Beaten, yet again.

+1
  • Reply 5 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

This is outrageous! There are cheaper options available than this overpriced toy! What was United thinking when they made this boneheaded decision? This definitely means higher priced tickets for the flying public. Like the iPad deal for the LAUSD this should be investigated and stopped by the shareholders. Galaxy Notes would be a much better choice, cheaper, and not locked down.

Wait for it...

Ikrupp...would you like a tissue? Perhaps I can send you one. Crap....I'll send you a whole box seeing that Apple is having a monster Q4!!

How's Scamsung doing? Yeah, not too good, huh? Big management shake-up, monster loss in revenue, no new products to copy. That's too bad. Hang in there.

• Reply 6 of 46

Ikrupp...would you like a tissue? Perhaps I can send you one. Crap....I'll send you a whole box seeing that Apple is having a monster Q4!!

How's Scamsung doing? Yeah, not too good, huh? Big management shake-up, monster loss in revenue, no new products to copy. That's too bad. Hang in there.

You missed the sarcasm.
  • Reply 7 of 46

That photo frightens me. 

• Reply 8 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stargazerCT View Post

Sheldon Cooper, is that you?

• Reply 9 of 46
    But but but Android customization! 1337 Cyanogen mod! Tegra benchmarks! Activations! I'm logical and rational and all you fanboys are pathetic!
  • Reply 10 of 46
    To some extent the other smartphone makers are reaping what they've sown. Their products often have limited useful life with few, if any, OS upgrades. iPhones tend to have a useful life. I just bought a used iPhone, which is two versions back, and yet I expect to get at least two years of useful life out of it.

United was simply investing for the long term. The tools to develop iOS apps, the possibility of have corporate-only versions of their software, and the fact that, if their employees know how to use any smartphone, it's probably an iPhone, were all factors.

The stupid move would have been to go with Samsung just because it is cheaper.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    Quote:

Wait for it...

With 20 billion in annual sales, 15mil for phones is nothing.

• Reply 12 of 46
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

With 20 billion in annual sales, 15mil for phones is nothing.

That does mean perhaps a better appointed juice bar at the mothership's gym.

• Reply 13 of 46
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

Wait for it...

FUD!

• Reply 14 of 46
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Wait for it...

But..but..but.. Android is open!!!  Fandroids should gather and protest!  Since they are too chicken-sh!t to talk to a hot flight-attendant, they figure it's better to just hack their Android phone and anonymously send the device a message.  Can't do that with an iPhone!  Oh... all those fantasy-relationships that will be ruined!!  The horror!

• Reply 15 of 46
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sflocal wrote: »

But..but..but.. Android is open!!!  Fandroids should gather and protest!  Since they are too chicken-sh!t to talk to a hot flight-attendant, they figure it's better to just hack their Android phone and anonymously send the device a message.  Can't do that with an iPhone!  Oh... all those fantasy-relationships that will be ruined!!  The horror!

iOS users are too busy on the internet ordering stuff to even notice the hot flight attendant. ;)
  • Reply 16 of 46

Okay, that's it: lkrupp is a finalist for Reverse-Troller Of The Year.

• Reply 17 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

That photo frightens me. 

The mouth says "smile", but the rest of the face does not.

Actually, taken together, it's closer to a grimace.

• Reply 18 of 46
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

• Reply 19 of 46
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

"Ok, but first: lemme take a #Selfie ... (click) ... And buh-bye ma'am, buh-bye sir ..."

• Reply 20 of 46
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

Sorry Fandroids, you miss this because your Google Wallet won't work on a plane...lol. That's where Apple Pay is so robust.