Time's Person of the Year honor goes to 'the Ebola fighters,' not Apple CEO Tim Cook

Comments

• Reply 41 of 89
    Can't believe that anyone other than Putin was even considered. Not that I admire him, it's just no one else is impacting the world as much as he is . He is single-handedly changing the face of the map and world politics.
  • Reply 42 of 89
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I never considered they would have multiple magazine covers to help push more copies.

I think I could see these increasing sales...not sure how multi-Putins or

burned-out looking health-worker covers would have that effect.

• Reply 43 of 89
    They made the right choice.
  • Reply 44 of 89
    Can't believe that anyone other than Putin was even considered. Not that I admire him, it's just no one else is impacting the world as much as he is . He is single-handedly changing the face of the map and world politics.

It's the polonium talking.
  • Reply 45 of 89
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I'm really confused how this was deemed important enough. It was inflated by the media to distract people for a few months, and now it's a non-issue again.

It's a non-issue?  There are 50 new cases each day in Liberia alone.

What was inflated by the media was the danger to U.S. citizens and blame for Obama in the way it was handled.

It's important enough because volunteers put their own lives at serious risk by rising to the challenge of fighting this disease.   Especially after doctors and other health workers starting getting the disease themselves.   

And even if the disease was already cured (and it's not), the people who fight this disease on the ground deserve recognition for their courage.  

• Reply 46 of 89
    "spurned"? This choice of word is an all-time low from AI...
  • Reply 47 of 89
    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

...not sure how multi-Putins or burned-out looking health-worker covers would have that effect.

More to show how the US version is being whitewashed for the purpose of an agenda.

• Reply 48 of 89
    [I]"Tim Cook Spurned for Person of the Year as Ebola Surges Ahead"[/I]
  • Reply 49 of 89
    Their decision was by far the most appropriate.
  • Reply 50 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

It wouldn't have been for ?Watch, it would have been for coming out. But that was hardly the most newsworthy or important thingthat happened in 2014.

first openly homosexual CEO in the Fortune 100 is definitely a newsworthy and important thing. being gay is still a crime and a fireable offense in the south. additionally, he's managed to create the biggest US corporation while doing so. this is a huge thing for all of those closeted gay office workers who fear coming out. becoming a successful role model is an important and admirable thing.

get your head out of the sand.

• Reply 51 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

first openly homosexual CEO in the Fortune 100 is definitely a newsworthy and important thing. being gay is still a crime and a fireable offense in the south. additionally, he's managed to create the biggest US corporation while doing so. this is a huge thing for all of those closeted gay office workers who fear coming out. becoming a successful role model is an important and admirable thing.

get your head out of the sand.

His sexual orientation is irrelevant and hardly newsworthy. He should be considered for being the CEO of one of the world's most successful companies, sexuality aside.

• Reply 52 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

This was a poor decision and many of those ebola doctors returning to the US can not be trusted, as some have been caught lying and exposing the public to the deadly disease. If somebody wishes to travel to Africa to help, then that's fine, go right ahead, but don't go importing the disease and helping to spread it worldwide by returning to the US, and not following common sense precautions. And these people are supposed to be medical personel, yet some of them act no different than rats carrying bubonic plague.

There should be a mandatory quarantine for all of them who return to the US, no ifs, ands or buts about it. If they do not agree, then they should not be allowed to set foot back in the country. Also, all border security should obviously be tightened, not opened up, like some people wish. There are enough questionable and illegal people entering the US. Who knows what sicknesses, diseases and viruses these people carry.

my partner and her major lab is part of the ebola effort and we know doctors who have gone to do the good work, and return. the problem with a forced three-week quarantine is few will want to go volunteer to be there. but it's stupid, pointless, and a waste of further productivity because the disease doesnt sneak up on you -- running a temperature is the first symptom. if you dont have a temp, you arent contagious. end of story. theres no need to quarantine if you dont have a temp. if you get a temp, then youre potentially infected and contagious-- but it's difficult to transmit (body fluids) so again it's simple to contain at that point. plus youll be in a hospital fighting for your life anyway.

but thanks for calling my family & friends, people youve never met, rats. really shows off your thoughtfulness and insightful mind while discussion a topic you know jack shit about.

• Reply 53 of 89
    Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

He should be considered for being the CEO of one of the world's most successful companies, sexuality aside.

On this topic, Steve should have gotten it not for the success of Apple under his reign but for overseeing one of, if not the, MOST INCREDIBLE COMPANY TURNAROUNDS IN THE HISTORY OF INDUSTRIALIZATION.

• Reply 54 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

His sexual orientation is irrelevant and hardly newsworthy. He should be considered for being the CEO of one of the world's most successful companies, sexuality aside.

nope. in a nation where a large percentage of the voters hate homosexuals, where states have criminalized homosexual sex or banned civil rights to homosexuals, where politicians have called for homosexuals to be criminalized, and where you can be legally fired, not to mention dragged out & killed by dumbasses for being homosexual, it's actually a pretty big deal for the leader of the most successful US corporation to announce that he's homosexual.

one day it wont be that way, but that day isnt yet today. stop pretending. 

• Reply 55 of 89
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    %u2026people still subscribe to Time magazine?
  • Reply 56 of 89
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

my partner and her major lab is part of the ebola effort and we know doctors who have gone to do the good work, and return. the problem with a forced three-week quarantine is few will want to go volunteer to be there. but it's stupid, pointless, and a waste of further productivity because the disease doesnt sneak up on you -- running a temperature is the first symptom. if you dont have a temp, you arent contagious. end of story. theres no need to quarantine if you dont have a temp. if you get a temp, then youre potentially infected and contagious-- but it's difficult to transmit (body fluids) so again it's simple to contain at that point. plus youll be in a hospital fighting for your life anyway.

but thanks for calling my family & friends, people youve never met, rats. really shows off your thoughtfulness and insightful mind while discussion a topic you know jack shit about.

Oh yeah?

How do you explain that doctor who turned out to have ebola, who was running around all of NYC with it?

He even lied to the cops, when they tried to question him about his whereabouts.

• Reply 57 of 89
    There really should be two categories, person of the year then group of the year, this being the group, it's not a person so person of the year just sounds weird with Ebola fighters.
  • Reply 58 of 89
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    EBola hasn't been conquered yet but the Democratic Party has - the American voter should have won as Republicans have been tsunamied into Congress releasing the nation's chokehold.

Like the GOPs are going to be any different.
  • Reply 59 of 89
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Oh yeah?

How do you explain that doctor who turned out to have ebola, who was running around all of NYC with it?

He even lied to the cops, when they tried to question him about his whereabouts.

He wasn't contagious until he was symptomatic, and when he did develop symptoms he quickly sought medical help. He did not infect anyone else.
  • Reply 60 of 89

These MDs have huge earning potential at US clinics, but instead volunteer to risk their lives to save poor people.  I would say thats pretty cool.