Apple releases iOS 8.1.2 with fixes for missing iTunes ringtones

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 80
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    philboogie wrote: »
    After upgrading from 7 to 8.0 this fall it took several tries to be able to select a word by a press-and-hold. The pop up simply disappeared after a few milliseconds, and when you were finally able to select a word the popup for a Copy also disappeared time and time again. I read on this site a s well as a few others that there were more people with this issue. You haven't experienced this?

I see that all the time though it isn't predictable.

There seems to be a related problem with floating ads that I'm hoping is addressed. Unfortunately some of the features of Safari and HTML 5 have conspired to raise hell on Apples devices. It is a shame really that programmers out there seem to be hell bent on screwing over their web site users. Many sites now are fully congested with ads, to the point they are worthless. Further more than half your bandwidth needed to visit the site goes to ads. So yeah add blocking and other improvements are needed.

Frankly I really wish that Apple would provide a utility to manage the host files and allow users to protect their systems without compromising security.
  • Reply 62 of 80
    Who cares?

Jail breakers obviously!

By the way I currently don't jailbreak, I like that my iPad and iPhone are reliable communications devices. However I'm beginning to weaken here with my resolve not to do so. There is only one reason too, that would be to install a reliable way to block the flood of ads I'm seeing. Some sites have gone way overboard with ads and there needs to be push back.

By the way I'm not against ads completely, I understand the need to make a buck. However there comes a point where greedy is an issue. Further I really don't like to see more that half my bandwidth go to ad support. Especially if those ads cause my iPad to grind to a halt.
  • Reply 63 of 80
    Isn't this the truth. ????????

I really hoping that Apples move to swift addresses much of this as I really believe that many of these problems are related to Apples developer tools. For the life of me I've never understood some of the madness in Cocoa/Objective C. In my estimation it just support very sloppy code.

I fully realize that you don't have to write sloppy code but you know what they say about giving somebody that is suicidal a length of rope. As much as I like my Mac and iOS devices, I've never liked the Cocoa/Objective C approach to development on the platforms. Talk about being rubbed the wrong way.
    iOS 8 has easily been the most problematic. What's awesome for Apple is that most of the issues are ineffable, indescribable anomalies that you can't isolate, but which contribute to a crappy user experience. A slowdown here, a soft reboot there, a jerky Springboard motion, an unresponsive Home button press (or five), a Bluetooth toggle that jumps back to Off when you try to slide it to On (have never been able to figure that one out), and so on. 
  • Reply 64 of 80
    ktappe wrote: »
    Very interesting. Apparently my old hardware didn't support this on the Mac thus I've never seen the issue. I'm still not convinced that this is the primary cause of the issue on the iPad. As long as the fix is a jailbreak I probably won't be addressing the problem anyways. My resolve not to jailbreak is weakening though.
    It outlines the cause of the problem in both iOS 8 and OS X 10.10.x, and how to fix at least the latter.

TL;DR:  ifconfig awdl0 down

I booked marked that page, it may come in handy depending upon how I resolve my broken Mac issue.
  • Reply 65 of 80
    My usual advice since 8.0.1:

Wait until Friday before installing this update.
  • Reply 66 of 80
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    My usual advice since 8.0.1:

Wait until Friday before installing this update.

If everybody followed your advice how would you know if the update worked?

????
  • Reply 67 of 80
    I don't know if this is due to the update or not, but after updating I now get no audio on YouTube videos...
  • Reply 68 of 80
    One thing I'd like to see implemented: Block ads that hijack web pages in Safari for iOS and immediately send the user to the App Store. This happens all the time on regular web sites (not warez, or whatever people call it these days).

This has been an issue for so long I honestly believe Apple doesn't want to fix it. It brings in too much revenue for them. One of the biggest offenders is the game developer "King", the people who make that annoying Candy Crush Saga crap. I've refused to ever download it bc I will not support their practices. But they're usually near the top of top grossing apps. I have to think that's why Apple lets them do it.
    mehran wrote: »
    This is all nice and dandy... BUT PLEASE FIX THE WIFI ISSUE ON OS X

Yes! I've had to use so much LTE data because wifi drops so often. Though I will say it's been better in the past week. Don't know why.
  • Reply 69 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

AVOID INSTALLING THIS YET!!!

The jailbreak hasn't been updated for it, beware!

Thanks!

Thats the only thing I came here to look for

• Reply 70 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Who cares?

I care.  And so do others.  Jailbreak gives me free tethering on my Verizon unlimited 4G data plan.  For that reason alone it is always worth it.

But since you asked.  Why do you care.. who cares?

• Reply 71 of 80

Apple...this update is crap. It's borked my iPhone all to heck. The Stocks app won't load anything, I've had to reset the phone twice to get Messages to send pictures, the wireless intermittently locks up...this is NOT what I pay good money for. I can get that level of buggy crap with Android for far less.

I think it's time to sell my stock if this is the level of software performance I can expect from you bozos.

• Reply 72 of 80
    Apple...this update is crap. It's borked my iPhone all to heck. The Stocks app won't load anything, I've had to reset the phone twice to get Messages to send pictures, the wireless intermittently locks up...this is NOT what I pay good money for. I can get that level of buggy crap with Android for far less.

I think it's time to sell my stock if this is the level of software performance I can expect from you bozos.

Yep, looks like they messed up their own Stocks app. Wow. I'll stick with the less attractive, but functional Yahoo Finance app.
  • Reply 73 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Here you go:  https://medium.com/@mariociabarra/wifried-ios-8-wifi-performance-issues-3029a164ce94

It outlines the cause of the problem in both iOS 8 and OS X 10.10.x, and how to fix at least the latter.

TL;DR:  ifconfig awdl0 down

Thank you for taking the time to share.  I tried it and within a few minutes the wifi disappeared and I had to bounce it and it is working again.

To others wondering why I made the statement about the issue: Apple's mgmt should hear this remains a PAIN for their customers and hopefully they will allocate more resources to fix it permanently.

• Reply 74 of 80
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

A lot of us.

If you cared, it would go without saying that a new version of the software gets rid of your jailbreak. Every single time. Been doing this for seven and a half years; if it’s not apparent by now, you deserve whatever happens to you.

• Reply 75 of 80

Yep, looks like they messed up their own Stocks app. Wow. I'll stick with the less attractive, but functional Yahoo Finance app.

Actually, the Stocks app hasn't been loading news for me since iOS 8.

But your post and White Falcon's is giving me pause for thought about upgrading. What is going on with Apple's Software Quality Control these days? Have they fixed the keyboard covering text whilst writing yet?

Such basic errors that are truly not worthy of Apple.
  • Reply 76 of 80
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Meanwhile Apple's relationship with developers seems to be getting worse. Apple really needs to get its shit together here. And perhaps some heads need to role. I believe developer relations is under Phil Schiller. Perhaps he needs an early retirement. Apple could use a fresh marketing perspective anyway.

http://www.marco.org/2014/12/09/get-the-word-out

As I said in the previous post on this - Apple is correct in protecting that turf

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Isn't this the truth. ????????

I really hoping that Apples move to swift addresses much of this as I really believe that many of these problems are related to Apples developer tools. For the life of me I've never understood some of the madness in Cocoa/Objective C. In my estimation it just support very sloppy code.

I fully realize that you don't have to write sloppy code but you know what they say about giving somebody that is suicidal a length of rope. As much as I like my Mac and iOS devices, I've never liked the Cocoa/Objective C approach to development on the platforms. Talk about being rubbed the wrong way.

Swift is not going to solve much, if anything. In any case a lot of Apple's issues -- like the Wifi issues exhaustively explained above -- are in the Kernel code and are in c or c++ by necessity. Also Swift is just buggy at the moment. It fails to compile reliably, link reliably or produce reliable code. maybe that is the problem.

And Objective C isn't bad at all. Apple's issues are that they have lost a lot of good people, retiring early and rich.

• Reply 77 of 80
    darkvader wrote: »
    AVOID INSTALLING THIS YET!!!

The jailbreak hasn't been updated for it, beware!

Not at the moment you wrote this post, no. But it has been released over 9 hours ago:

http://9to5mac.com/2014/12/10/taig-jailbreak-almost-instantly-updated-for-ios-8-1-2-download-available-now/
  • Reply 78 of 80
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Okay, who amongst you will volunteer to be the guinea pig? Count me out!

:D 

If you don't see a bunch of Fandroids bitching about some Apple iOS update issue within a hour of released, maybe 2 at most, you should be safe.  They're the experts after all.   That's what I do and I didn't have any issue with my iPhone 6.   I would assume Apple won't be doing a blunder like the one anytime soon.  

• Reply 79 of 80
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member

Anyone really dumb enough to buy a ringtone?   I see prices like $1.99 for something that's a tiny part of a song and I think, really???  You could just buy the real song for 99 cents to $1.29 and make your own ringtone out of it for free.  

• Reply 80 of 80

Serious problems with the update. After fixing the photos issue with 8.1, Apple screwed it up again with a downgrade. Certain apps that access the photo library once again have stopped working correctly, and the photo access API seems to be exactly how it was before they fixed it last time.

I also had a major issue with the camera app after updating, where new photos couldn't be saved. Then my phone went from 33% to less than 20% in a matter of about two minutes, and shut off one minute later, while trying to use the camera and photo apps. Plugged it in and in five seconds it said 27% again.

Still not confident that the camera app is working correctly.