Google introduces 'material design' to iOS in app update, Apple fixes TestFlight app bugs

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2015
An update to Google's flagship search app for iOS on Thursday brings the company's new "material design" user interface and Google Maps integration, while a new version of Apple's TestFlight beta testing app fixes minor bugs.

In Google's quest to create a pocket of Android in Apple's iOS, the Internet search giant released a new Google app version with fresh features, a revamped look tailored to iPhone 6 and 6 Plus screens and Maps integration.

The most striking change in today's Google update is the inclusion of so-called material design, which uses bold colors, clean lines and animations to create a unique UI that feels a lot different than Apple's aesthetic. In essence, the design scheme is a taste of Android 5.0 Lollipop, brought over to iOS.

Google for iOS also packs in a few new features like a "Google" button that lets users conduct a new search from anywhere in the app. A version of this tool was first seen in Google's mobile email app Inbox, where pressing a similar round button bearing a plus sign reveals new messaging options. In addition, a Recents button gives quick access to user browsing history, while voice search and Google Now features carry over from prior updates.

Finally, users can now click on maps links to open a stripped-down version of Google Maps in-app instead of switching over to the standalone Google Maps for iOS. Displayed maps are interactive and incorporate Street View (for iPhone), though navigation assets are missing.

Google for iOS is a free 59.8MB download from the iOS App Store.

Apple on Monday released a small update to its TestFlight software beta testing tool with minor bug fixes and performance improvements.

The company debuted its version of TestFlight in September after purchasing the app's developer Burstly earlier this year. The app and corresponding platform allow developers to create and manage public beta programs without going through iOS provisioning processes.

TestFlight version 1.0.2 comes in at 2.8MB and can be downloaded for free from the iOS App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20

It’s years since I used a Google service.

Interesting to hear that they're still doing things.

• Reply 2 of 20
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

You have probably viewed a YouTube video or a Google Map indicating an address embedded on some webpage. It is pretty much impossible to avoid this type of content.

Also some websites use the Google Custom Search engine for their site content rather than roll their own search engine software.

And if you have ever clicked on a goo.gl URL short link or typed in letters and numbers into a reCAPTCHA dialog box, you have used a Google service.

• Reply 3 of 20

Personally moving towards becoming de-googled.

• Reply 4 of 20
    mpantone wrote: »

You have probably viewed a YouTube video or a Google Map indicating an address embedded on some webpage. It is pretty much impossible to avoid this type of content.

Also some websites use the Google Custom Search engine for their site content rather than roll their own search engine software.

And if you have ever clicked on a goo.gl URL short link or typed in letters and numbers into a reCAPTCHA dialog box, you have used a Google service.

I have viewed YouTube videos.

However, I don't regard that as using their services, as the app I use avoids all the Google ads. I guess I've come across the odd Google map on a webpage; that's not using their services, though.

I don't use any of their apps or have any account with them. That is what most people would call using their services.
  • Reply 5 of 20

Material Design = Metro, but crappier.

• Reply 6 of 20

Seeing Material Design on an iPhone makes me appreciate the beauty and design of iOS even more.

• Reply 7 of 20
    Google is pushing their UI cancer onto iOS. Why can't they follow iOS guidelines like the rest of them?!

Screw Google! They're the most evil company on the planet. De-googlify yourselves! Do not give them you data!

"If you are not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold!"
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:

However, I don't regard that as using their services, as the app I use avoids all the Google ads. I guess I've come across the odd Google map on a webpage; that's not using their services, though.

I don't use any of their apps or have any account with them. That is what most people would call using their services.

While you aren't providing personal data, you are still using their services because you are telling them "Anonymous User X showed interest in this video as well as this retail store location."

The user data isn't as valuable as "Benjamin Frost watched this video and viewed this store location" but it's still valid data in terms of Google ad sales.

They provided you with service (video, mapping information), you provided them with data points of Internet usage. Maybe you are paying 10 pence while someone else logged into their Google account is paying a quid. But you are still getting services from them, not as many as if you were using Gmail, Google Docs, whatever, but you are still using service.

Remember, over 90% of Google's revenue comes from AdWords. Ultimately, Google doesn't care that user "Benjamin Frost" searched for "Philips screwdriver" or "plumber in Los Angeles", they just want to sell the search term "plumber in Los Angeles" to Acme Plumbing or "Philips screwdriver" to Home Depot. Google entices people to spend more time using Google services with the hope that people will search more, but to have access to some of those services, you need to register.

You can register on Google and use many of their services with a concocted identity like Bilbo Baggins.

Your usage patterns are still a Google product, your valuation is simply less. Don't be fooled into thinking that you're not using their services simply because you don't have an active Google account.

• Reply 9 of 20

While you aren't providing personal data, you are still using their services because you are telling them "Anonymous User X showed interest in this video as well as this retail store location."

The user data isn't as valuable as "Benjamin Frost watched this video and viewed this store location" but it's still valid data in terms of Google ad sales.

They provided you with service (video, mapping information), you provided them with data points of Internet usage. Maybe you are paying 10 pence while someone else logged into their Google account is paying a quid. But you are still getting services from them, not as many as if you were using Gmail, Google Docs, whatever, but you are still using service.

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Remember, over 90% of Google's revenue comes from AdWords. Ultimately, Google doesn't care that user "Benjamin Frost" searched for "Philips screwdriver" or "plumber in Los Angeles", they just want to sell the search term "plumber in Los Angeles" to Acme Plumbing or "Philips screwdriver" to Home Depot. Google entices people to spend more time using Google services with the hope that people will search more, but to have access to some of those services, you need to register.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">You can register on Google and use many of their services with a concocted identity like Bilbo Baggins.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Your usage patterns are still a Google product, your valuation is simply less. Don't be fooled into thinking that you're not using their services simply because you don't have an active Google account.</span>

Perhaps, but I would argue that the more people like me that don't give Google accurate data, the less valuable Google's services become to advertisers. Then the click cost comes down, the value of the ads diminishes, and Google becomes weaker.

If Jobs waged thermonuclear war on Google, then I am adding my own little shockwave after the initial flash.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Seeing Material Design on an iPhone makes me appreciate the beauty and design of iOS even more.

So does Google get away with this just because they're Google? Shouldn't their apps be rejected for not following Apple's HIG?
  • Reply 11 of 20
    bighype wrote: »
    Google is pushing their UI cancer onto iOS. Why can't they follow iOS guidelines like the rest of them?!

Screw Google! They're the most evil company on the planet. De-googlify yourselves! Do not give them you data!

"If you are not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold!"
    Google's push is going to backfire. On iOS i do my best to avoid Google's service and just use other great apps. Looking forward to a day that I don't need to use Goolge's search on desktop either.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So does Google get away with this just because they're Google? Shouldn't their apps be rejected for not following Apple's HIG?

Hell, Apple doesn't follow their own HIG.

• Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

Perhaps, but I would argue that the more people like me that don't give Google accurate data, the less valuable Google's services become to advertisers. Then the click cost comes down, the value of the ads diminishes, and Google becomes weaker.

If Jobs waged thermonuclear war on Google, then I am adding my own little shockwave after the initial flash.

Your "actions" are diddly squat to Google. Apple replaced Google Maps with their own homegrown solution. That was a devastating blow to Google.

Also, whoever is the default search engine is a big deal. Apple offers several choices, but out-of-the-box, the search engine needs to default to someone. Joe Consumer isn't going to change their default search engine. If Company X decides to change the default search provider from Service A to Service B, then they were will be thousands of inquiries like "pizza in Salina, KS" that go to Service B, not Service A.

You are just a slightly devalued data point to Google.

• Reply 14 of 20
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member

Your "actions" are diddly squat to Google. Apple replaced Google Maps with their own homegrown solution. That was a devastating blow to Google.

Also, whoever is the default search engine is a big deal. Apple offers several choices, but out-of-the-box, the search engine needs to default to someone. Joe Consumer isn't going to change their default search engine. If Company X decides to change the default search provider from Service A to Service B, then they were will be thousands of inquiries like "pizza in Salina, KS" that go to Service B, not Service A.

You are just a slightly devalued data point to Google.
    The new Safari & Spotlight searches bypass google and treat them as an also-ran. Liking that!
  • Reply 15 of 20
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Hell, Apple doesn't follow their own HIG.

True. But we know this is intentional on Google's part. There intentionally using their own design guidelines and basically saying FU to Apple.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Interesting to hear that they're still doing things.

I'm not the biggest fan of Google, but a statement such as yours defies any kind of belief. Tell me, what mapping service did you use on your desktop/laptop the past few years? You haven't used a single service from here the past few years? 

Yeah. 

• Reply 17 of 20
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    rogifan wrote: »

Very few apps follow the HIG entirely. Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare all take big liberties.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Microsoft did this a few years ago with their Bing app, where it half-rendered things over screen boundaries to hint you to scroll sideways. It was commented on over-and-over as being a layout bug.

Hint to developers from other platforms: we don't want the interface from those other platforms. If we did, we would buy one of those devices.
  • Reply 19 of 20

Quote:

There is a pretty big gap between a handful of anonymous users providing a only subset of data and Google suddenly being unable to provide enough eyeballs on the right ads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Every single iOS game gets away with it.

• Reply 20 of 20
    When will this material update come to the ios YouTube app?