Massive, sophisticated "Inception - Cloud Atlas" malware infects Windows and Android but can't explo

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

So I am definitely not DED and/or Corrections and can't speak to the fact if he is a happy person or not.  

That being said the guy seems very upset about everything not Apple.  I could be wrong (nothing new) but he mostly seems to be upset about Google first and foremost, and then Samsung, and then Microsoft being a distant third.

Like I just said above in a post, Google seems to be paying his bills around here, along with other ads from lord knows where, which are no different than Google ads when push comes to shove.

So if anything DED should be a happy and grateful person, that he can have a voice deriding everything Google does, while essentially Google (and whoever else tracks and sells our data) pays his bills to write here.

Again I don't know DED, but I would be happy as a clam and laughing all the way to the bank if I were him.  Take that Google ad money!

The irony that Google pays DED's bills is not lost on everyone here.  It's been pointed out in the past.  However, I can't ever recall if DED has ever shared his thoughts on that one.

• Reply 42 of 75

I really do not get all of the jailbreak hate now a days. Way back when I had my first iPod Touch running iPhone OS 1, jailbreaking was the neatest trick you could pull off. It was the first appstore on the iPod/iPhone and the reason why there is an official appstore now a days. 

• Reply 43 of 75
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    techlover wrote: »
    [SIZE=14px]Wait a second.  For real?  Corrections is DED?  How would you know?  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]I have only been coming here for about a year on and off.  So the two of you would know better than me.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]<span style="line-height:1.4em;">I find that idea extremely funny, entertaining, and also a bit sad and depressing.  If true, I would feel bad for DED that he would even feel the need to do that.  The guy should be able to write his hit pieces with confidence, and then reply in the forums as the author if he chooses to. </span>
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]What I mean is, what self respecting journalist doesn't use their penned name from the article in the comments section as well?  I can't think of a single decent website that I visit where the writers do that.  Maybe I am just not paying close enough attention.<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> </span>
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]<span style="line-height:1.4em;">So I am skeptical to your claims that DED is Corrections, but I have been wrong plenty of times.</span>
    [/SIZE]

He doesn't advertise, nor deny it. It's funny to watch him talk about himself in the third person to a person not in the know.
  • Reply 44 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by staticx57 View Post

I really do not get all of the jailbreak hate now a days. Way back when I had my first iPod Touch running iPhone OS 1, jailbreaking was the neatest trick you could pull off. It was the first appstore on the iPod/iPhone and the reason why there is an official appstore now a days. 

I have nothing against jailbreaking. It's your phone and your right to do what you want with it (taking into account all the various Terms and conditions, of course). It's just that within the context of this thread, jailbroken devices account for a very small minority of iOS devices in circulation, and seriously, I wouldn't expect a foreign diplomat to be the sort of person to jailbreak his or her device. 

• Reply 45 of 75
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

He doesn't advertise, nor deny it. It's funny to watch him talk about himself in the third person to a person not in the know.

You find it funny?  I find it sleazy.  I often wonder if DED feels dirty when he does it.  I know I would.

• Reply 46 of 75
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Blue Coat, which coined the name "Inception," based on the stealthy attack's "extremely advanced" layers of obfuscation to hide the identity of the attackers, also addressed iOS as being a target in the campaign in its blog posting without making any mention of the fact that iOS devices need to have their security turned off via jailbreak in order to fall victim to the attack.

The link

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

Still there, http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/12/nation-backed-malware-targets-diplomats-iphones-androids-and-pcs/ Not on front page but link works.

It's the link from the mentioned "blog posting" in original posting.  Still broken or taken down.

This is the link taken from the article just now:

http://www.easycom-aura.com/Easycom-for-PHP,87.html

• Reply 47 of 75
    droidftw wrote: »
    You find it funny?  I find it sleazy.  I often wonder if DED feels dirty when he does it.  I know I would.
    As do I. The technical term for it "Sock-Puppeting" and it's something Prince excells at.
  • Reply 48 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I preface this by saying I agree with both of you.

That being said, one persons sleaze is another persons treasure.... erm paycheck.  It is the internet after all and its pretty sleazy out here.

He's only one person who is trying to eke out a living.  I get it.  Clicks = money = food and shelter.  Respond with a pseudonym or two to get more clicks.  Register another name and make more clicks. 

DED is possibly completely compromised as a legitimate journalist, judging by his writing alone.  There are compromised people in just about every industry.  They still manage to make a decent living and manage to sleep at night.

No big deal, its just business.  DED needs to pay his bills.  What better way than to make money off of the companies you hate.  It's like drinking Coke while driving a Pepsi truck.  

We all need a paycheck right?  Dirty, filthy, entirely deluded, completely compromised morally, or what ever the case may be for DED, its a paycheck.  And he is cashing it. 

My guess?  He's happy to make money doing what he loves, hating on anything not Apple.  It probably pays the bills and he can squeak out a meager living.

Anyway I am beating a DED horse now :)

• Reply 49 of 75
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    techlover wrote: »
    [SIZE=14px]I preface this by saying I agree with both of you.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]That being said, o<span style="line-height:1.4em;">ne persons sleaze is another persons treasure.... erm paycheck.  It is the internet after all and its pretty sleazy out here.</span>
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]He's only one person who is trying to eke out a living.  I get it.  Clicks = money = food and shelter.  Respond with a pseudonym or two to get more clicks.  Register another name and make more clicks. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]DED is possibly completely compromised as a legitimate journalist, judging by his writing alone.  There are compromised people in just about every industry.  They still manage to make a decent living and manage to sleep at night.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]No big deal, its just business.  DED needs to pay his bills.  What better way than to make money off of the companies you hate.  It's like drinking Coke while driving a Pepsi truck.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]We all need a paycheck right?  Dirty, filthy, entirely deluded, completely compromised morally, or what ever the case may be for DED, its a paycheck.  And he is cashing it. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]My guess?  He's happy to make money doing what he loves, hating on anything not Apple.  It probably pays the bills and he can squeak out a meager living.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]Anyway I am beating a DED horse now :)[/SIZE]

Dude, you must be deluded. It's not just Daniel.

True journalism died about 30 years ago.
    It used to be referred to as the fourth estate - objective, investigative and accurate balanced reporting.
    RIP

No room for that shit in today's world.
    DED is trying to even up the anti Apple spin that is very real to most of us long time Apple supporters.
    It is real ,very dirty and if he derives an income from wherever in doing so then good on him.

0.02 c
  • Reply 50 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by abazigal View Post

There are some, but again, the caveat here is that they all require some tedious workarounds. 

For example, there was a case of a 3rd party iPhone charger which could infect an iOS device when you plug in the cable. However, it requires you to buy said charger from this very specific manufacturer, so the potential for misuse was very low. 

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/07/trusting-iphones-plugged-into-bogus-chargers-get-a-dose-of-malware/

It's also theoretically possible with enterprise-signed malware. 

http://www.marblesecurity.com/2014/12/05/marble-security-labs-report-enterprises-remain-vulnerable-to-ios-malware-vectors-despite-apples-responses/

But as you can see, it's nowhere as "straightforward" as downloading malware straight from some seedy 3rd party app store, running it and having the app wreck havoc on your system. Even if the malware somehow found its way onto your phone, the silo'ed nature of iOS would prevent it would accessing other apps anyways, which already limits how much harm can be done in the first place. 

This is what irritates me - articles like this making iOS sound way more vulnerable than it actually is, all in the interest of clickbait. 

I'll bite on the bait: Both links you provided indeed "work" on non-jailbraked iOS devices BUT you still have to accept or trust the following situations based on the links:

1. In case one, you have to trust the computer, when you clearly connected your iOS device to a usual "charger". That scream at you: do you want to get fucked!? Answer if so...

2. In case two, again you have to trust...this time...an enterprise provisioning certificate. That also screams at you: do you want some more ass fucking?! Choose...

• Reply 51 of 75
    <p>This article reminds me of one funny trend I have been seeing on TV this year. </p><p> </p><p>In some drama serials, when some character wants to install a tracking software on another character's smartphone so that they can track where that person is, the victim's smartphone will invariably be an Android smartphone, because surprise - that's the only phone where you can sideload 3rd party software, have it run in the background and leak its location without the user being aware. </p><p> </p><p>My mom was apparently concerned enough to ask me - can they do that to a phone these days? I can't say for sure for Android phones, but I can say for certain that this sort of stunt would never fly on an iOS device. :P</p>
    andreid wrote: »

I'll bite on the bait: Both links you provided indeed "work" on non-jailbraked iOS devices BUT you still have to accept or trust the following situations based on the links:

1. In case one, you have to trust the computer, when you clearly connected your iOS device to a usual "charger". That scream at you: do you want to get fucked!? Answer if so...

2. In case two, again you have to trust...this time...an enterprise provisioning certificate. That also screams at you: do you want some more ass fucking?! Choose...

You misunderstand me. I am simply saying that this is possible, just not likely. I feel it's safe to say that iOS devices come with sufficient safeguards of their own that the average consumer doesn't need to worry about his iPhone falling prey to such. But if we want to be pedantic about it, it's not possible to claim that any device is hack-proof.
  • Reply 52 of 75
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Just as this malware requires iOS users to disable default security settings for the malware to install so does Android. If you choose to bypass Android default security settings and ignore user warnings about 3rd party software installs, or jailbreak iOS and ignore warnings about 3rd party software installs then it's your own fault if this malware infects your device.
  • Reply 53 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Just as this malware requires iOS users to disable default security settings for the malware to install so does Android. If you choose to bypass Android default security settings and ignore user warnings about 3rd party software installs, or jailbreak iOS and ignore warnings about 3rd party software installs then it's your own fault if this malware infects your device.

A better analogy is OS X. Android's software sources policy is virtually identical to OS X Gatekeeper, by default allowing only software from Google Play. So it's no easier to install a piece of malware on Android than it is on OS X. The system is also closer to OS X in terms of flexibility. For instance you can set default apps and program your own device without having to pay another party for a temporary privilege to install and run your own code.

• Reply 54 of 75
    d4njvrzf wrote: »
    gatorguy wrote: »
    A better analogy is OS X. Android's software sources policy is virtually identical to OS X Gatekeeper, by default allowing only software from Google Play. So it's no easier to install a piece of malware on Android than it is on OS X. The system is also closer to OS X in terms of flexibility. For instance you can set default apps and program your own device without having to pay another party for a temporary privilege to install and run your own code.

I disagree with you both. There's more to it, and there are more reasons Android is a steaming pile of malware and OSX/iOS is quite the opposite.
  • Reply 55 of 75
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I disagree with you both. There's more to it, and there are more reasons Android is a steaming pile of malware and OSX/iOS is quite the opposite.

Agreed. There's a difference between ticking off a security setting checkmark in Android and jailbreaking an iPhone.

• Reply 56 of 75
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    I disagree with you both. There's more to it, and there are more reasons Android is a steaming pile of malware...
    I'm well aware that you're part of the member group that truly but erroneously believes that. If your primary source of information about Google Android comes from AI articles it's completely understandable why you might think that too.
  • Reply 57 of 75
    Quote:

Also probably won't be the last time I piss and moan about a DED article ;)

thats unfortunate. his articles are far more interesting than random, anonymous haters complaining about them.

• Reply 58 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

DED is definitely Corrections.  It can get confusing as he'll refer to himself in the third person to fool newer people, but every now and then he outs himself in his posts.  Then again, it doesn't take long to notice the hostile writing style from both.  DED/Corrections/Prince McClean is not a happy person on the Internet.  Hopefully he has more joy in his personal life.

wait -- so youre using the presence of a first-person pronoun to declare, definitively, that it is he? because, um, nobody else could write a fake post pretending to be him*, using a first-person pronoun? thats it?

*and yep, there are people here insane enough to do so. take BJ Frost or pauzu and their compulsive posting needs, for example...

• Reply 59 of 75
    Quote:

Namaste.

barf.

• Reply 60 of 75
    Quote:

That being said the guy seems very upset about everything not Apple. 

and you dont think the same (but opposite of course) applies to all the juvenile trolls on this very site?