Apple's 2014 holiday ad 'The Song' showcases the human side of its ecosystem

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Wasn't that record kind of like a love letter that the grandma made for her husband/lover? In that case how would you feel if someone read one of your old love letters, and then handed you a copy with their own notes scrawled in the margins?

you two are really grasping at straws.

• Reply 42 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Apple are obviously trying to tailor their ads to black and white stereotypical groups; hence the recent raucous ad geared towards the thug audience

are you really equivocating black target markets with "thugs"? here in my city we use the term thug to refer to bad men who hurt & steal. not black people.

• Reply 43 of 66
    feynman wrote: »

The usage of Apple products were very subtle and the ad itself was very emotional and human. Pulling strings is the best way to peoples hearts and well, wallets. I think it was a beautiful ad.

You're right. This ad is awesome.
  • Reply 44 of 66
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    frac wrote: »
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost

Bah humbug.

Grumble over.

So. Humbug followed by More Humbug.
    Now you're just puncturing my balloon... that only true Brits get 'irony'.
    Today's face palm moment. Myself included.

You're balloon is still ok. Benny Frost is English, not British. The distinction is that he is descended from the later, barbarian Anglo-Saxon stratum, which, unreformed, lacks the imagination for playful humor.

The "British," on the other hand, generally connotes the earlier, much more sophisticated and amusing/amusable Celtic stratum, the Irish, Welsh, Scottish and Cornish, (not to mention the megalith builders who preceded the Celts) who have taught the now-generally delightful Anglo-Saxons all they know about decent attitudes to life. But some of the axe-wielders never learn, e.g., Benny.

All this presumes he's for real, of course. I think he's a hired troll, but just in case, he needs to have some racism rubbed in his pale, bloodless face.
  • Reply 45 of 66
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    are you really equivocating black target markets with "thugs"? here in my city we use the term thug to refer to bad men who hurt & steal. not black people.

Doing great work here as usual, thanks. Seriously.
  • Reply 46 of 66
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Great ad and just showing normal usage for a device.  No bells or whistles needed.

I am good with Holiday since it comes from the old English work h?ligdæg which means Holy Day.

• Reply 47 of 66
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

you two are really grasping at straws.

It obviously didn't occur to Apple's advertising team that the young lady poking through her grandma's old love recordings was an invasion of the old lady's privacy. Which seems obvious to me.

• Reply 48 of 66
    icoco3 wrote: »
    Great ad and just showing normal usage for a device.  No bells or whistles needed.

I am good with Holiday since it comes from the old English work h?ligdæg which means Holy Day.

That's interesting about the origins of holiday.

It's nice to know there are still one or two things I don't know about.
  • Reply 49 of 66

How you made it through an education in Angleland without learning that little bit of Anglo-Saxon is probably a testimony to your thick-headedness. But then no one ever accuses the Anglo-Saxons of having too much self-awareness.
  • Reply 50 of 66
    Flaneur, cool it with the personal attacks.
  • Reply 51 of 66
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Flaneur, cool it with the personal attacks.

Where have you been as he has been making his personal attacks? And his non-stop troll bilge?

Nevertheless, I will take what you say under advisement. : )
  • Reply 52 of 66
    flaneur wrote: »
    Where have you been as he has been making his personal attacks? And his non-stop troll bilge?

Nevertheless, I will take what you say under advisement. : )

He's made a lot of comments I disagree with, but none (that I noticed) were personal attacks on forum members. If I would have seen any he made toward you or others I would have asked him to cool it, too. For example, his thug comments, which I find to be racial and ignorant, are not directed a forum member.
  • Reply 53 of 66

Really well done ad by Apple. Kept themselves minimal in the TV spot while focusing on family and the holidays. Touching.

• Reply 54 of 66
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

You seriously didn't know that holiday came from holy day?
  • Reply 55 of 66
    dasanman69 wrote: »

And Christmas was invented by a department store owner named Christopher T. Mas.
  • Reply 56 of 66
    solipsismy wrote: »
    And Christmas was invented by a department store owner named Christopher T. Mas.
    :lol: You forgot the /s. Christ mass became Christmas.
  • Reply 57 of 66

No, but I didn't know the old English word.
  • Reply 58 of 66

I didn't either, but I didn't think it was too difficult to link 'holi' to 'holy'. Though sometimes the obvious isn't so obvious.
  • Reply 59 of 66

I didn't either, but I didn't think it was too difficult to link 'holi' to 'holy'. Though sometimes the obvious isn't so obvious.

My 'no' was as in no, I did know the old meaning, but not the old English word.
  • Reply 60 of 66
    My 'no' was as in no, I did know the old meaning, but not the old English word.

Oh ok. That clarifies things.