Apple says 'dozens' of banks and stores signed up for Apple Pay in recent weeks

Comments

• Reply 41 of 85
    sartor wrote: »
    A lot of stores are accepting, but my Bank (MSU fed credit union), says they will start accepting Apple Pay in Mid 2015! Geesh! And yet, they have the cash to build a new multi million dollar expansion on the main branch and pay us a pittance for interest on our deposits. Their financial goals don't include keeping up with technology, and If they were keeping up with technology I might be able to use apple Pay by now! :-)

We're talking a new back-end to their system. I think any bank doing this within a year is doing great and the only reason we've seen such a fast adoption, even before it even launched, is because of the financial savings from few fraudulent charges.
  • Reply 42 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Easier than not having to call them, check for fraudulent charges, remove fraudulent charges, cancel your card, and issue a new card? image

It took less 5 minutes to call them and get a new card delivered to you in the mail. That really is convenient¡ image

How about never happening a represential card number and token removes 99.999% of the problem?

Next time lead with how a big a fan you are and how much Apple crap you own so we know you're not rational commenter.

Sorry but security just is not a big deal for the end user no matter how you slice it.  If it was people wouldn't have been using cards the last 20 plus years, right?  If it was so terrible and horrible it never would have seen the adoption curve that it did.  Think about that rationally for a moment.

• Reply 43 of 85
    mvigod wrote: »
    Sorry but security just is not a big deal for the end user no matter how you slice it.  If it was people wouldn't have been using cards the last 20 plus years, right?  If it was so terrible and horrible it never would have seen the adoption curve that it did.  Think about that rationally for a moment.

I have. We have. You haven't.
  • Reply 44 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I have. We have. You haven't.

Ok then. Good luck with that.

• Reply 45 of 85
    steveau wrote: »
    Yes, skip Canada, and the UK, and launch in Australia next. Only four banks to deal with and NFC machines in almost every store already.

...and while that is happening, they can activate tokenisation in NZ too. Shouldn't be that hard as 95% of our banks are Australian owned.
  • Reply 46 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by appletweak View Post

The wireless POS is precisely what they use with chip and PIN in Europe.  The waitperson brings a wireless terminal to the table and the patron completes the transaction - never have to even hand over your card.  I imagine it would work the same way with the NFC in ApplePay, only easier. It works great, IMHO.

Same in Canada.  My CC never leaves my sight. 

• Reply 47 of 85

I'd love to be able to try out Apple Pay, but so far we haven't shopped anyplace where it an option.  We went to Walgreens once and the clerk didn't have a clue about it, nor was there any special station at the registers.  Chicken and egg sort of thing.

• Reply 48 of 85
    coffeetime wrote: »
    I'd love to be able to try out Apple Pay, but so far we haven't shopped anyplace where it an option.  We went to Walgreens once and the clerk didn't have a clue about it, nor was there any special station at the registers.  Chicken and egg sort of thing.

Which city?
  • Reply 49 of 85
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    I counted 23 banks on the Apple Pay page on Apple's website. There's only about 6,000 more to go! :D

Seriously though... in October Tim Cook said 500 banks have signed on to Apple Pay. When will those be in effect?

I realize this is a huge, unprecedented effort... and probably the only major deal between a consumer electronics company and the banking system.

I'm just wondering when we will see some huge adoption numbers. They seem to be trickling out a few at a time. At the rate of 23 banks in 2 months... it will take YEARS to get those 500 banks activated.

I'm hoping there will be a big announcement soon saying 200-300 banks are ready to go. But I don't want them to rush and get sloppy :)

I recently got a message from the WA State Employees CU (WSECU) that they will be active by the end of the month. Maybe Apple is using the initial sign ups to test the load on their system during this big buying season. Hopefully the rest will all be added at once by years end.
  • Reply 50 of 85
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member

I've had three major Visa debit cards since the 90s, two have been compromised, the second just this year. I upgraded from a 5s to a 6 just to help promote Apple Pay. I want to see this card go away. I hope the next big move for Apple Pay is online payments like PayPal.
  • Reply 51 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mvigod View Post

Yup. It was very trivial.  The cc company didn't argue with any of the charges.  They cancelled the card.  Sent me a new one.  Easy as could be.  Call took < 5 minutes.  I can deal with that once every 10 years or even once every year if it came down to it.  A couple minutes to take care of this is not material and certainly not an argument to use Apple Pay over plastic.

A couple of minutes to call in AND 3 days to a week to get a replacement card which you then have to re-register before using. From your previous posts, I take it that you carry a wallet full of cards, so not having a card for a few days may be trivial to you, but not so much for others.

Then again, your nonchalant attitude is one of the reasons that credit card fraud is increasing every year. The cost may be transparent to you, but it isn't to the credit card providers or the merchants. Your attitude is part of the cost of doing business is getting more expensive which translates into higher costs all around.

fwiw, I have had credit cards for over 30 years - in the last couple of years, I have begun seeing fraudulent charges from merchants I don't recognize more frequently ... I have had to have had 3 or 4 cards replaced in the last year. Maybe you have been lucky so far, but thieves are getting smarter and more frequent - your attitude of it not having happened to you recently is like Sony Pictures saying they didn't have any security issues since they had not had any major incursions before this year.

• Reply 52 of 85
    mvigodmvigod Posts: 172member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by elehcdn View Post

A couple of minutes to call in AND 3 days to a week to get a replacement card which you then have to re-register before using. From your previous posts, I take it that you carry a wallet full of cards, so not having a card for a few days may be trivial to you, but not so much for others.

Then again, your nonchalant attitude is one of the reasons that credit card fraud is increasing every year. The cost may be transparent to you, but it isn't to the credit card providers or the merchants. Your attitude is part of the cost of doing business is getting more expensive which translates into higher costs all around.

fwiw, I have had credit cards for over 30 years - in the last couple of years, I have begun seeing fraudulent charges from merchants I don't recognize more frequently ... I have had to have had 3 or 4 cards replaced in the last year. Maybe you have been lucky so far, but thieves are getting smarter and more frequent - your attitude of it not having happened to you recently is like Sony Pictures saying they didn't have any security issues since they had not had any major incursions before this year.

Correct I have many cards so if I don't get a new card for a couple days I don't really care.   It just is of no concern to me.  People have been using credit cards offline for decades and online for at least 15 to 20 years now and everyone got by just fine.  Initially people were scared of using their credit cards online.  It seemed like they were at risk but then the credit card co's and banks came in and said don't worry about it.  They got you covered 100% if anything happens.  

Ever wonder why ecommerce took off?  It was because of this.  They guaranteed no liability for the end user.  Without that it would not have taken off.  That is why security then and now is no longer an issue to the consumer.  Until the banks change this policy it is of no concern to the public at large.

• Reply 53 of 85

My Discover card has been compromised twice in the last year or two.  It has been a big hasssle for me, and I really wish Discover would get off their duff and sign up with Apple Pay.  I have also had one Mastercard, and one Visa compromised, so a total of 4 times for me personally in the last 15 years or so.

Not all credit card companies cover 100% of fraud, I believe some can and do charge $50.  I believe most debit cards charge $50.

Yes the new card does come in a few days, but it is a pain until it does.  I personally use different cards for different things, so when I have to use one card that is normally used to pay for stuff like dinner and entertainment to pay for gas or groceries it is annoying and messes with my budgeting.

Not to mention with many cards when you have them replaced you have to either create a new online login and password (I know Discover makes you), or add the new card to your online account.  Then you usually need to set up links to your bank accounts again if you use online payments to pay your credit cards.

Then the biggest pain of all is like someone else mentioned, if you use that card for autopay on different services that can be a real PITA.  I use my Discover card to autopay most of my bills like DirecTV, Verizon Wireless, Garbage, etc.  When I get a new card I have to remember and go and move those over to the new card.  Then usually I end up having to mail or make a payment by phone or manually online for a month or two until the autopay goes into effect with the new card.

Now is it the end of the world, or does it ruin my year if one of my cards gets compromised, no it really isn't.  But it definitely isn't fun or a walk in the park like you seem to make it out to be.  Thankfully I haven't had my debit card compromised, as I have heard from friends how big of a pain that can be.  Many times that money is gone/put on hold for months at a time until the banks get it straightened out, and then they finally give your money back.

• Reply 54 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

Now is it the end of the world, or does it ruin my year if one of my cards gets compromised, no it really isn't.  But it definitely isn't fun or a walk in the park like you seem to make it out to be.  Thankfully I haven't had my debit card compromised, as I have heard from friends how big of a pain that can be.  Many times that money is gone/put on hold for months at a time until the banks get it straightened out, and then they finally give your money back.

I can't speak to debit cards linked to banks. I don't and won't use them.  I don't know why anyone would either.  Get a credit card.  No link to bank account. No liability. Rewards programs.  Flexible payment options.  You get to float for up to 30 days for free whereas debit you get no free float.  That was some marketing scheme the banks put on people to get those vs a credit card.  

• Reply 55 of 85
    Correct I have many cards so if I don't get a new card for a couple days I don't really care.   It just is of no concern to me.  People have been using credit cards offline for decades and online for at least 15 to 20 years now and everyone got by just fine.  Initially people were scared of using their credit cards online.  It seemed like they were at risk but then the credit card co's and banks came in and said don't worry about it.  They got you covered 100% if anything happens.  

Ever wonder why ecommerce took off?  It was because of this.  They guaranteed no liability for the end user.  Without that it would not have taken off.  That is why security then and now is no longer an issue to the consumer.  Until the banks change this policy it is of no concern to the public at large.

mvigod, I guess loosing a credit card isn't much of a hassle, and maybe even a delight to you. You might even enjoy throwing all of your credit cards on the ground near some criminal detention center to see how fast some folks pick them up.

But for most folks losing their credit card, it's a pain-in-the-ass. If you lose your card, you wonder where you lost it, so you first check to see if any unwarranted charges where made by checking the card website, then you contact the last place where you rember using it, if they say that they have it, you're relieved that it's been found and drive there to retrieve it. Or they don't have it, call the Credit Card company, report the loss and wait for a new card. Then you wonder about changing the auto-pay sites that have used the old CC number, that now need to be visited/contacted with the new CC number. Well if that's a no hassle situation for you, IT IS TO ME. And probably many others.
  • Reply 56 of 85
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Still waiting. The only card I have that works with ?Pay is a Chase Freedom Visa. My branded GM Mastercard is not supported nor is my local bank’s Visa debit card. But I will be patient.

You can check this list from time to time - there's a link to banks etc. who have committed to using ApplePay (at least with Visa cards) - "coming soon".    Visa - ApplePay - Financial Institutions | Visa USA

There are about 550 on the list.

• Reply 57 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyPie View Post

mvigod, I guess loosing a credit card isn't much of a hassle, and maybe even a delight to you. You might even enjoy throwing all of your credit cards on the ground near some criminal detention center to see how fast some folks pick them up.

But for most folks losing their credit card, it's a pain-in-the-ass. If you lose your card, you wonder where you lost it, so you first check to see if any unwarranted charges where made by checking the card website, then you contact the last place where you rember using it, if they say that they have it, you're relieved that it's been found and drive there to retrieve it. Or they don't have it, call the Credit Card company, report the loss and wait for a new card. Then you wonder about changing the auto-pay sites that have used the old CC number, that now need to be visited/contacted with the new CC number. Well if that's a no hassle situation for you, IT IS TO ME. And probably many others.

Are you going to use apple pay which has a unique one time token on your autopay sites?

• Reply 58 of 85
    Are you going to use apple pay which has a unique one time token on your autopay sites?

No. I'm just in disagreement with you as to it's no-problem or hassle to you if you lose your credit card. If Apple Pay works, great. If Apple Pay doesn't work, fine I'll use my credit card the old fashion way. However losing your credit card is not a "no problem occurrence" as you seem to see it.
  • Reply 59 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyPie View Post

No. I'm just in disagreement with you as to it's no-problem or hassle to you if you lose your credit card. If Apple Pay works, great. If Apple Pay doesn't work, fine I'll use my credit card the old fashion way. However losing your credit card is not a "no problem occurrence" as you seem to see it.

Well from my experience it has been.  Card lost. Call credit card company (if they don't call you first).  5 minutes I had everything cancelled, fraudulent charges reversed and a new card on my way.  Cost me zero.  I really can't complain about that.  It's not exactly digging ditches for 8 hours is it?

• Reply 60 of 85
    Well from my experience it has been.  Card lost. Call credit card company (if they don't call you first).  5 minutes I had everything cancelled, fraudulent charges reversed and a new card on my way.  Cost me zero.  I really can't complain about that.  It's not exactly digging ditches for 8 hours is it?

Well I'd rather not spend the 5 minutes calling my CC Company and screwing around updating my new CC number at Payment Sites. Guess your not an Internet user utilizing payment sites. Most individuals seem to use them to pay their bills electronically, it's really convenient.