Apple's iTunes DRM didn't violate antitrust laws, jury finds

Comments

• Reply 21 of 106

This combined with the appeal of the eBooks case (where 2 of the judges seemed clearly in favor of Apple and even took shots at Amazon) and it's been a Merry Christmas week for Apple.

• Reply 22 of 106
    Now it's on to another ten years of appeals.
  • Reply 23 of 106
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slur View Post

whenever they announce their christmas results. 

Around 1/20/15.............

• Reply 24 of 106
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

At some point, we are going to have to examine our system. Why do we allow these worthless, greedy attorneys to run roughshod over any company they deem able to fill their pockets. Especially in the area of patent trolls.

One excellent case is those worthless bastards in Texas suing Podcasting concerns. They don't have a product or provide anything of value. They just sue and hope to settle out of court. But now they've picked on the wrong guy. Adam Carolla has one of the most successful podcasts on iTunes and they have gone after him.

Except he has a huge mouth and has nothing to lose. He rips on these greedy a-holes constantly and has even started a kickstarter campaign to raise funds to fight them off. The negative publicity they are getting from him is a wonderful thing to hear. He doesn't spare words.

It seems like Apple is constantly being sued for something or another. We really should have standards in place that make it much harder to let these attorneys run around wreaking havoc on capitalism. We all know a good case from a bad one. These are minor irritants to Apple but devastating to small and medium sized businesses. We need to start asking ourselves what kind of society we want and then punish these scumbags.

• Reply 25 of 106
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

At some point, we are going to have to examine our system. Why we allow these worthless, greedy attorneys to run roughshod over any company these deem able to fill their pockets. Especially in the area of patent trolls.

I think it would solve most problems if the asked-for damages went both ways. You win, you get it. You lose, that’s what you pay them.

• Reply 26 of 106
    slurpy wrote: »
    Finally, some fucking sanity. 

Also, I'm kicking around the idea of getting more stock. I'm thinking there's some big gains to be had between now and whenever they announce their christmas results. 

I think you're right. Especially now that the fund managers realized they screwed up big time this last year or so.
  • Reply 27 of 106
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    and no interference from an Apple-hating judge...a double win.

the whores who brought this case forward need to pay Apple's legal expenses.
  • Reply 28 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The people who were suing are no different than a bunch a sleazy leeches, trying to scam money out of Apple. They had no case at all!

The article doesnt mention this, but they should have to pay for all of the expenses in this case! That would only be fair!

I hope that they do have to pay! Screw those scumbags! Apple winning is good, but i would like to see people hurting, at least financially!

Can I ask a question? If I bought an iPod is it not up to me what music I put on it and from where? 

• Reply 29 of 106
    bugsnw wrote: »

It seems like Apple is constantly being sued for something or another. We really should have standards in place that make it much harder to let these attorneys run around wreaking havoc on capitalism. We all know a good case. These are minor irritants to Apple but devastating to small and medium sized businesses. We need to start asking ourselves what kind of society we want and then punish these scumbags.

Apple has a huge pile of cash and nothing attracts litigatous lawyers like available cash.

Here's a joke that points out how lawyers think:
    A young banker was having a drink with his lawyer classmate when a beautiful woman walks into the bar. "Boy, I'd love to **** her," says the banker. "Out of what." asks the lawyer?
  • Reply 30 of 106
    Hopefully that's what Oracle ends up getting from Google.

I really don't want the world to switch from Java to Dart after that :)
  • Reply 31 of 106
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bondm16 View Post

Can I ask a question? If I bought an iPod is it not up to me what music I put on it and from where? 

Sure. I populated my iTunes library and iPod entirely with my own CDs that I imported.

• Reply 32 of 106
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Now it's time to prosecute the lawyers and disbar them to keep them from ever doing this BS again!
  • Reply 33 of 106
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bondm16 View Post

Absolutely not.

Anybody who used Real Player and bought a song from them, should not be allowed to play it on Apple's devices!

Realplayer has some damn nerve! They hacked Apple's DRM, and then they got upset when Apple put a stop to that!

Anybody who bought a crappy product that hacks Apple's DRM deserves nothing.

This case is similar to a damn thief who made a copy of a key to your house, and then the thief sues you because you went and changed your lock!

• Reply 34 of 106
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    bugsnw wrote: »
    It seems like Apple is constantly being sued for something or another. We really should have standards in place that make it much harder to let these attorneys run around wreaking havoc on capitalism. We all know a good case from a bad one. These are minor irritants to Apple but devastating to small and medium sized businesses. We need to start asking ourselves what kind of society we want and then punish these scumbags.

But but...Apple has gazillions and no company got that rich honestly...I mean look at Microsoft! Ergo...Apple is guilty....of everything!
    /
  • Reply 35 of 106

Brilliant.

I take back everything I said about Apple's lawyers (for now :D)

• Reply 36 of 106
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Brilliant.

I take back everything I said about Apple's lawyers (for now :D)

Except the case shouldn't have even gone to the jury after it was discovered that the people suing were improper members of the Class and had actually purchased their iPods on dates outside the province of the lawsuit, making the entire thing bogus in the first place.   

• Reply 37 of 106
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Apple should ask for costs in this frivolous, time wasting case and leave the confused, last minute plaintiff to return to her ice skating.

• Reply 38 of 106
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Good news, the automatic tripling of the penalty, to pushing a billion dollars, would have been noticed even on a balance sheet as enormous as Apple's.

• Reply 39 of 106
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post

Clear, quick, obvious and right ...

This shouldn't have been dragged on so long. One small consolation is the time and treasure wasted by whoever was behind this. That is just deserts of a sort ...

The one silver lining of the delay is every person on the jury surely had enough personal experience with digital music to not be led astray in confusion over unfamiliar terms and concepts. When the iPod was new and the smartphone revolution hadn't taken off this would have been far more foreign territory for the jury.

• Reply 40 of 106
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

It's nice to hear that our justice system works. Now these just need to appeal that stupid e-books settlement and I can have faith in our government again.

Now Apple should provide a free iPod Touch to all those plaintiffs and lock them into their ecosystem ;)