Apple's iTunes DRM didn't violate antitrust laws, jury finds

1356

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 106
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,355member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bondm16 View Post

     

    Can I ask a question? If I bought an iPod is it not up to me what music I put on it and from where? 


     

    Your question isn't really a sincere question- It's both intellectually lazy and dishonest, and something tells me you know that. And if you don't, that means you're grotesquely ignorant about the facts.

     

    Oh, and your posting history shows a consistent trend of bashing Apple products while promoting anything Samsung/Android, always by twisting facts and the truth. I'm always dumb-founded at what kind of depressing mentality it takes for people like you to consistently post on an Apple focused forum. 

  • Reply 42 of 106
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

     



    Except the case shouldn't have even gone to the jury after it was discovered that the people suing were improper members of the Class and had actually purchased their iPods on dates outside the province of the lawsuit, making the entire thing bogus in the first place.   




    A number of sources noted that would have been either cause for the judge to reject a guilty verdict or the basis for an appeal once the "new" class plaintiff was established.

  • Reply 43 of 106
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 9,991member

    This outrage will be appealed! Apple is evil incarnate and everybody knows it!

     

    Sincerely yours,

     

    The Troll Army

     

    p.s. The jury was bought off by Tim Cook so add jury tampering to his resume.

  • Reply 44 of 106
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 9,991member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

     

    At some point, we are going to have to examine our system. Why do we allow these worthless, greedy attorneys to run roughshod over any company they deem able to fill their pockets. Especially in the area of patent trolls.

     


     

    Because attorneys eventually become judges and/or politicians with a vested interest in protecting their own. Yes, it’s really that simple.

  • Reply 45 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

     

     

    Your question isn't really a sincere question- It's both intellectually lazy and dishonest, and something tells me you know that. And if you don't, that means you're grotesquely ignorant about the facts.

     

    Oh, and your posting history shows you to be nothing but a troll, with a consistent trend of bashing Apple products while promoting anything Samsung/Android, always by twisting facts and the truth. I'm always dumb-founded at what kind of depressing mentality it takes for people like you to consistently post on an Apple focused forum. 


    Yawn. My device, my choice as to what music I put on it sure, and if I knew a software update would disrupt it, I would not install it. 

  • Reply 46 of 106
    davidwdavidw Posts: 1,605member
    bondm16 wrote: »
    Can I ask a question? If I bought an iPod is it not up to me what music I put on it and from where? 

    Nope, it's up to the record labels. They own the music and they were the one that required DRM in music sold online. As long as the purchased music had DRM, there will be restrictions on what players they will play on. Notice that as soon as the record label allowed their music to be sold without DRM, you could put music from any source on to any player.
  • Reply 47 of 106
    Originally Posted by Bondm16 View Post

    Can I ask a question? If I bought an iPod is it not up to me what music I put on it and from where? 

     

    I definitely see what you’re saying, but iDevices are only advertised as capable of playing x formats under y DRM (or free of it). FairPlay content doesn’t run on any non-Apple device or service, after all. If it’s a matter of “exclusionary” tactics by Apple, then it is equally a matter of “exclusionary” tactics by all other hardware manufacturers not to support music with Apple’s DRM.

     

    I don’t know if it was possible with other services to do what you can do with iTunes to remove DRM (buy the file, burn to a CD in full quality, rip back to iTunes, boom; no DRM) because I never used anything like Real, et. al. If it was, that could have been a solution to use the music with iTunes. If not, that then becomes a restriction on the part of Real.

  • Reply 48 of 106
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

     

    I definitely see what you’re saying, but iDevices are only advertised as capable of playing x formats under y DRM (or free of it). FairPlay content doesn’t run on any non-Apple device or service, after all. If it’s a matter of “exclusionary” tactics by Apple, then it is equally a matter of “exclusionary” tactics by all other hardware manufacturers not to support music with Apple’s DRM.

     

    I don’t know if it was possible with other services to do what you can do with iTunes to remove DRM (buy the file, burn to a CD in full quality, rip back to iTunes, boom; no DRM) because I never used anything like Real, et. al. If it was, that could have been a solution to use the music with iTunes. If not, that then becomes a restriction on the part of Real.


     

    Yes, i follow you. My current iPod only had music and apps from iTunes these days.

  • Reply 49 of 106
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,355member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bondm16 View Post

     

    Yawn. My device, my choice as to what music I put on it sure, and if I knew a software update would disrupt it, I would not install it. 


     

    Did you even own an iPod? Were you that one guy that was traumatized by this (because apparently they couldn't find real plaintiffs). 

     

    Apple doesn't give a shit about telling you what music to put on your device. This is more a technical/security matter, where if you restore a device or do an update, it might overwrite any "hacks" or non-system modifications. It's the same way with every single iOS device ever made, as well as your precious Android and Samsung devices. restoring and updating software tends to break hacks.

     

    Your sig is also hilarious. Nice to see you're so proactive about being defensive. You're not "happy" to debate with anyone, you're happy to troll. Hence the "Yawn" as the first word of your post. Thats your first reaction when presented with facts- yawning. 

     

    Go start a thead with your outrage over Apple's "save labor" in China. That will be on the same level of honesty as the horse-shit you're spouting here. 

  • Reply 50 of 106
     

     

    Go start a thead with your outrage over Apple's "save labor" in China. That will be on the same level of honesty as the horse-shit you're spouting here. 


     

    no thanks, i will just watch the documentary about it all on BBC One on Thursday.

     

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04vs348

     

    Oh and yes I own an iPad 1 and its great condition because I look after it really well.

  • Reply 51 of 106
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kurtramey View Post



    I bought one album off of real networks. It was a matter of drag and drop to get it into iTunes. Same way now with Amazon Music. Easy.

    I believe the Amazon Music app will export music to iTunes automatically - you don't need to access/drag/drop.

  • Reply 52 of 106
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post



    The people who were suing are no different than a bunch a sleazy leeches, trying to scam money out of Apple. They had no case at all!



    The article doesnt mention this, but they should have to pay for all of the expenses in this case! That would only be fair!



    I hope that they do have to pay! Screw those scumbags! Apple winning is good, but i would like to see people hurting, at least financially!

     

     

    Fifty lashes would be fitting for these scoundrels.

  • Reply 53 of 106

    Apple said to the jury, "Get Real".

     

    They did.

  • Reply 54 of 106
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,035member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

     

    This combined with the appeal of the eBooks case (where 2 of the judges seemed clearly in favor of Apple and even took shots at Amazon) and it's been a Merry Christmas week for Apple.


    let be correct here, they are clearly in favor of following the laws and not making some sort of political statement.

  • Reply 55 of 106
    apple ][ wrote: »
    The people who were suing are no different than a bunch a sleazy leeches, trying to scam money out of Apple. They had no case at all!

    The article doesnt mention this, but they should have to pay for all of the expenses in this case! That would only be fair!

    I hope that they do have to pay! Screw those scumbags! Apple winning is good, but i would like to see people hurting, at least financially!

    Tort reform!
  • Reply 56 of 106
    dewmedewme Posts: 4,297member

    This case was a farce from the start and it's nice to see it over and done with - until the inevitable decade of appeals. I do have to compliment the posters on AI who seem for the most part to "get it" regarding the details of this case. I'm appalled at the ignorance and utter stupidity on some of the other sites reporting the outcome. For the life of me I cannot fathom how some people have such a vile distain for Apple. Where does this deep rooted hatred come from? Apple's simply a consumer products company that has never forced a single person to buy one of their products. If you don't like Apple don't buy their stuff. It can't get any simpler than that. Whatever inspires the deep hatred that's spewing on some web sites and media outlets seems to emanate from a very dark and ugly part of humanity that literally scares the crap out of me. Knowing that these people walk freely among us is very unsettling. 

  • Reply 57 of 106
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,922member
    Wait, does that mean I won't get a $2 iTunes gift card? /s

    Hurrah for common sense.
    zoetmb wrote: »

    Except the case shouldn't have even gone to the jury after it was discovered that the people suing were improper members of the Class and had actually purchased their iPods on dates outside the province of the lawsuit, making the entire thing bogus in the first place.   

    Actually Apple is glad there is a verdict. Can't be sued again for this issue.

    I hope the judge says to the lawyers: now that you've wasted all of our time, pay Apple its legal fees and reimburse us for court fees.
  • Reply 58 of 106
    bugsnw wrote: »

    It seems like Apple is constantly being sued for something or another. We really should have standards in place that make it much harder to let these attorneys run around wreaking havoc on capitalism. We all know a good case. These are minor irritants to Apple but devastating to small and medium sized businesses. We need to start asking ourselves what kind of society we want and then punish these scumbags.

    Apple has a huge pile of cash and nothing attracts litigatous lawyers like available cash.

    Here's a joke that points out how lawyers think:
    A young banker was having a drink with his lawyer classmate when a beautiful woman walks into the bar. "Boy, I'd love to **** her," says the banker. "Out of what." asks the lawyer?

    ... Then the beautiful woman sits down at the bar ...

    And the lawyer, who is only 5'2" tall, but emboldened by drink walks over and asks her:  What do you say to a little ****?

    The beautiful woman, turns, smiles and says:  Why hello there Little ****!
  • Reply 59 of 106
    jkichline wrote: »
    It's nice to hear that our justice system works. Now these just need to appeal that stupid e-books settlement and I can have faith in our government again.

    Now Apple should provide a free iPod Touch to all those plaintiffs and lock them into their ecosystem ;)

    Now, That's jazz!
  • Reply 60 of 106
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

     

    And AAPL is now under 108 again! What a joke!


    What is it like not knowing how the stock market actually functions? This case and the share price are NOT connected

Sign In or Register to comment.