T-Mobile announces new 'Data Stash' rollover mobile data plans starting with 10GB for free

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

I really like seeing how competitive T-Mobile has been lately. It's just too bad their LTE coverage is terrible compared to AT&T and Verizon, otherwise I would switch. 

I recenty switched. T-Mobile LTE is faster for me than it was on ATT.  So I guess it depends on where you live. 

• Reply 22 of 35
    bkerkay wrote: »

I recenty switched. T-Mobile LTE is faster for me than it was on ATT.  So I guess it depends on where you live. 
    Do to Tmobile using technology that others don't, I don't see why it wouldn't be faster? I think he's referring to coverage zone, not speed.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Do to Tmobile using technology that others don't, I don't see why it wouldn't be faster? I think he's referring to coverage zone, not speed.

Ah yes, good catch. I miss read it.  

I say if the coverage is good where you are 80-90% of the time, then it shouldn't be an issue.  If the coverage is not adequate in said area, then yes, I agree it's not worth switching. 

• Reply 24 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

It is sort of odd that you would say that. they did a study last year with Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile. T-Mobile on average was second only to AT&T and only slightly. It really just depends on where you're located.

T-Mobile is not second in LTE coverage. They are behind Verizon and AT&T. T-Mobile does cover where I live in California, but I'm constantly traveling. That's my biggest issue. If I didn't have to travel so much, I would be a T-Mobile customer. 

• Reply 25 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bkerkay View Post

You must have misread what I said. I was talking about LTE coverage, not speed. 

• Reply 26 of 35
    Quote:

You must have misread what I said. I was talking about LTE coverage, not speed. 

Yes.  Someone already brought it to my attention and I apologized.  I will apologize to you too.  Sorry, I miss read. 

But to some degree, quality of coverage also effects quality of speed.  But let's not nit-pick.  ;-)

• Reply 27 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I don't know what T-mobiles plans are but My current AT&T plan is 6GB/mo. Would this mean if I didn't use up all my 6GB in a month they'd roll over what I didn't use? I'd love it if a carrier gave you the option to either roll over unused data or get a refund for the portion not used.

Call AT&T to see if they'll double your data. I'm on AT&T and recently, after getting my iPhone 6, I called about a random billing issue. Out of the blue, an AT&T rep offered me a free extra 10 GB on top of my existing 10 GB data plan...some special promotion. So far so good...no gotchas.

• Reply 28 of 35
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    terun78 wrote: »
    Sitting back waiting patiently for AT&T and Verizon to follow suit

You're going to be sitting back a long time.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

How exactly is this "un-carrier" if it only applies to postpaid (i.e. service with CONTRACT) plans? What a sham.

I'm on prepaid because I hate contracts. I only pay $40 for 500MB data, unlimited text and minutes. I never use up all my data and always thought that it was shady to not rollover the data used that I *paid* for. I'm surprised a class action suit hasn't been brought up over this.

I thought none of the T-mobile plans are service with contract -- You can leave whenever you want (unless you are leasing a phone from them). That was my impression with the company a few months ago.

Edit: Just checked. Definitely no contract.

• No annual service contracts

• Reply 30 of 35
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

It is sort of odd that you would say that. they did a study last year with Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile. T-Mobile on average was second only to AT&T and only slightly. It really just depends on where you're located.

T-Mobile is not second in LTE coverage. They are behind Verizon and AT&T. T-Mobile does cover where I live in California, but I'm constantly traveling. That's my biggest issue. If I didn't have to travel so much, I would be a T-Mobile customer. 

I did the 7-day trial iPhone 5 with TMO a little while ago. Where I work, near LAX, I clocked >50Mbps data (!). At home in the hills, varied between "no service" and one bar. Bummer. And I travel too, so the coverage in other parts of the country/world is a concern.

I'm considering the WiFi calling feature on iPhone 6, but then I would have to depend on Time Warner network for home reception, and taking chances while travelling not really an option.

Ugh. I hope VZW steps it up...

• Reply 31 of 35
    Let's not forget they also just added the 2x lines for $100.00 that offers unlimited data. Data roll over is great, but unlimited is better for that price.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

How exactly is this "un-carrier" if it only applies to postpaid (i.e. service with CONTRACT) plans? What a sham.

I'm on prepaid because I hate contracts. I only pay $40 for 500MB data, unlimited text and minutes. I never use up all my data and always thought that it was shady to not rollover the data used that I *paid* for. I'm surprised a class action suit hasn't been brought up over this.

How is it a sham? T-Mobile has NO contracts. It is merely a postpaid plan that will continue to charge automatically until canceled. You can change the plan any time you like, WITH NO FEE. You can cancel the plan at any time, WITH NO FEE.

True, if you buy a phone from T-Mobile using their optional interest free, 24 monthly instalment plan, you do have to maintain an active plan with T-Mobile, or pay off the remaining payments on the phone if you cancel the plan. Also, any phone that is on T-Mobile's instalment plan will be locked to T-Mobile until it is paid off. Phones bought from T-Mobile paid-in-full, up-front, are unlocked however. However, that is not a contract, and the phone can be paid off early, at any time, WITH NO FEE. 

• Reply 33 of 35
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    Somehow I knew switching to T-mobile was going to be a good move. No the coverage & speeds aren't the best, but I love their no nonsense approach, and this is just another bonus.

tyler82 wrote: »

T-mobile doesn't have contracts. How can they roll over data you pre-pay for?

EDIT: derp beat to it by 15hrs!
  • Reply 34 of 35
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    cornchip wrote: »
    Somehow I knew switching to T-mobile was going to be a good move. No the coverage & speeds aren't the best, but I love their no nonsense approach, and this is just another bonus.
    T-mobile doesn't have contracts. How can they roll over data you pre-pay for?

EDIT: derp beat to it by 15hrs!

You don't need a contract for a post-paid plan.