Bose may take on Apple's Beats Music, iTunes Radio with new streaming music platform

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited December 2014
A reported Bose job listing for a "cloud music services" UX designer suggests the company is working on a next-generation streaming platform to rival Beats Music, iTunes Radio and other services in what is becoming an increasingly crowded field.

According to a posting on job marketing website ZipRecruiter, spotted by HypeBeast, Bose is looking to hire a senior user experience designer to join its Algorithms & Cloud Experiences team create a new "music streaming platform."
We are seeking an expert Experience Designer to lead design and prototyping of our next generation streaming music platform and ecosystem of products. [...] We will move quickly and have an immediate and lasting impact on Bose's streaming music products.
A section regarding previous experience reveals Bose is looking for candidates who worked for major streaming services like Pandora, Songza and Rhapsody. Of note, Apple and Beats Music are also called out by name.

If Bose is indeed planning to launch a streaming music service in competition with Apple's existing services, it will be the latest volley in what has become an aggressive rivalry between the audio stalwart and upstart Beats.

In July, shortly after Apple announced its $3 billion acquisition of Beats Electronics and Beats Music, Bose sued the headphone maker's hardware arm for infringing five noise-cancelling technology patents. Following an out of court settlement in in October, Apple quietly removed all Bose products from the Apple Store only to bring them back two months later in time for holiday shopping.

Recent reports claim Apple is looking to rebrand or repackage Beats Music into an integrated iTunes solution next year. The change is reportedly in response to shifting market winds responsible for a 13 percent drop in iTunes music sales as of October.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Bose had better have some goods to back it up.

Otherwise call the new service Bose Bores.

• Reply 2 of 17

"Clouded, is the future, mmm?" -- Yoda

• Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Or Bose Doze.

• Reply 4 of 17
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    cpsro wrote: »
    Or Bose Doze.

You guys totally missed "Bose Bozos".

This would never have happened if Steve Jobs were still alive...

????
  • Reply 5 of 17
    I wish there was more good music and less music services.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

You guys totally missed “Bose Bozos".

And then they sign an exclusivity deal to sell hardware only at Amazon! And this hardware is designed by a world-class industrial artist! Wall Street deems it the best way that Bose can compete after suddenly splitting stock!

That’s right, Bezos’ Bose Bozos’ beveled bezel’s best bet begins by boosting buyer benefit by… surprise.

• Reply 7 of 17
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I wish there was more good music and less music services.
    Actually, I believe there is a lot of good music out there. For me it's a matter of time. To get to know new music takes time which I just don't have. That's why I look forward to the Beats streaming service.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    That’s right, Bezos’ Bose Bozos’ beveled bezel’s best bet begins by boosting buyer benefit by…

...bullshitting?

I've never understood the philosophy of "Hey, Apple's just seriously entered this category. Let's compete against them!"
  • Reply 9 of 17

I've never understood the philosophy of "Hey, Apple's just seriously entered this category. Let's compete against them!"

At least it’s marginally more effective than “Hey, Apple is rumored to enter this category; let’s make a bunch of completely nonsensical garbage that will in no way resemble their actual product should they even make one at all!”

*cough“smart”TVs,yesIcancoughinpunctuationcough*

• Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:

...bullshitting?

I think Apple entering a category reaffirms that the arena is ripe with profits. It is like Apple does the research and the others decide to piggyback on it. 

• Reply 11 of 17
    At least it’s marginally more effective than “Hey, Apple is rumored to enter this category; let’s make a bunch of completely nonsensical garbage that will in no way resemble their actual product should they even make one at all!”

*cough“smart”TVs,yesIcancoughinpunctuationcough*

Rumoured. Not rumoured. It's the entering that gets them 'entered'.

My username is based on a Japanese sports car that focused on brains over brawn and pretty much dominated it's entire category as a result. It's nickname was Godzilla, as it stomped all over it's competitors, who pretty much never stood a chance.

Apple is the technological equivalent.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    HAVE YOU HELD A SIMILAR JOB AT A COMPANY IN THE SAME INDUSTRY?

If not, then this job is not for you and there is no need for you to reply. The company will not hire you.

- Wow, such a great way to discourage applicants!
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Bose was in the music distribution biz starting in the early '80's. Taking it into streaming is simply a new channel for them.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

I wonder how long it'll take for business historians to realize what Apple has known from the start; there's just not much money in streaming.  Ergo, Apple held the fort for as long as possible selling music tracks through iTunes.  Now that the low-profit music streaming business has stepped all over that and iPods have been replaced in the market with smartphones as the preferred music playback device, Apple switches to selling music-related hardware (Beats headphones) as its next means of monetizing the music industry.

• Reply 15 of 17

One of the requirements to use the service is you have to be 65+ years of age.  Bose does not get it so this will be an epic fail.

• Reply 16 of 17
    That's a tough target demographic - Bose has to make them a customer before the undertaker does. On the other hand what other streaming service can monetize their service with ads for Medicare part B supplements?
  • Reply 17 of 17

It will be better, because it will cost $20 a month.

More expensive, means (or implies) better.

BOSE: Buy Overpriced Sound Experience