Apple CEO Tim Cook gives 'substantial' sum to gay rights initiative

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2014
Apple CEO Tim Cook, who recently decided to publicly announce he is "proud to be gay," has made a "substantial" donation to a cause promoting gay rights in the U.S. South, including his home state of Alabama.

Activists said Cook made a hefty private donation to the Human Rights Campaign's Project One America, an initiative working toward lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender equality in Alabama, Mississippi and Arkansas, reports Reuters.

"When Tim first learned about HRC's Project One America - our bold, comprehensive campaign to dramatically advance equality for LGBT Americans in Alabama, Arkansas and Mississippi - he said, 'I'm in,'" according to an HRC blog post.

Cook came out as gay in an essay published by Bloomberg in October, just days after calling for LGBT rights in his native Alabama.

"We hope Tim Cook's substantial personal investment inspires others to support this vital and historic project," said HRC spokesman Jason Rahlan.

According to HRC, Project One America is taking aim at the three U.S. states because they lack non-discrimination protections for LGBT individuals and are among 15 states with bans on same-sex marriage. With backing from its 1.5 million members and a three-year budget of $8.5 million, the group plans to deliver television advertisements, send out mailers and conduct community outreach programs in 2015.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 92

Doing this publicly is a great way to spur sales in the Arab/Islamic countries. Maybe this is something he should be doing in the background now, and more publicly when he retires. 

• Reply 2 of 92
    I give a substantial amount to big breasted strippers yet I don't see anyone writing articles about me¡
  • Reply 3 of 92
    I wish Cook would spend some dough on fixing iOS, rather than wasting it on some useless, liberal frippery.

I guess he needs to keep the attention away from Apple's water treading.

MEMO TO COOK: FOLLOW YOUR HEART AND GO INTO POLITICS. DON'T MAKE APPLE SUFFER ON ACCOUNT OF YOUR CAUSE CÉLÈBRE.
  • Reply 4 of 92
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    I wish Cook would spend some dough on fixing iOS, rather than wasting it on some useless, liberal frippery.

MEMO TO COOK: FOLLOW YOUR HEART AND GO INTO POLITICS. DON'T MAKE APPLE SUFFER ON ACCOUNT OF YOUR CAUSE CÉLÈBRE.

First line of second paragraph: "private donation." Then maybe you can take it from there,
  • Reply 5 of 92

Quit it.

What he does with HIS money is none of your damn business.
  • Reply 6 of 92
    These articles on Tim Cook's personal life are of no interest to me and an intrusion in his privacy. Leave his personal life out of this insider forum. If you disagree, let us know what the point is of this type of article.
  • Reply 7 of 92
    I agree with this. Let's move on.
  • Reply 8 of 92
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Tim Cook is obviously free to do whatever he pleases with his own money.

Having said that, I bet you that if Tim Cook were not gay, and if he was a conservative CEO contributing to a conservative cause using their own private money, then many of the same people that applaud Tim Cook's gay activism would be calling for his head and for his resignation. You know that's true, don't even attempt to deny that.:smokey:

• Reply 9 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Having said that, I bet you that if Tim Cook were not gay, and if he was a conservative CEO contributing to a conservative cause using their own private money, then many of the same people that applaud Tim Cook's gay activism would be calling for his head and for his resignation. You know that's true, don't even attempt to deny that.:smokey:

Pretty much. We already saw that with Brendan Eich.

• Reply 10 of 92
    Give as much as you want Tim. God is still bigger!
  • Reply 11 of 92
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

These articles on Tim Cook's personal life are of no interest to me and an intrusion in his privacy. Leave his personal life out of this insider forum.

posted mrmantle in response to an article… :no:

• Reply 12 of 92
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Depends on the conservative cause.  Some conservative causes are reasonable, some are at the tip end of lunatic, divisive, hate-mongering. 

Tim is giving to cause promoting tolerance, respect and equal rights.  Anyone against that can get as red in the face as they want, but they're on the wrong end of the way things are heading.  

• Reply 13 of 92
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Tim Cook should spend his own money on fixing iOS, instead of helping out with civil liberties of a still-targetted minority?  Useless liberal frippery?

I wish you'd spend some time on making the world a nicer place, rather than wasting it on this constant hateful dirge.

• Reply 14 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I give a substantial amount to big breasted strippers yet I don't see anyone writing articles about me¡

'I'm in,'"

• Reply 15 of 92
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    "I give a substantial amount to big breasted strippers yet I don't see anyone writing articles about me"

probably because you're a horse's ass.
  • Reply 16 of 92
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Put a sock in it.

It's HIS money.

• Reply 17 of 92
    My email to Tim Cook, CEO of Apple, for supporting the LGBT community.

Tim,

I just read about your gift to Project One America and I wanted to say thank you.

Every LGBT person has a story. I had a very difficult time during my junior high and high school years, being mocked and ridiculed each and every day about being gay. My best friend and I were both relentlessly bullied by some and simply ignored by others. I don't know which hurt more. It wasn't until my first few weeks at college when some new classmates, who didn't know of my high school reputation, asked me to lunch. I said to myself, "Someone actually wants me to eat lunch with them???" From that moment on, I knew that, even though I would still be judged by some for my sexuality, that it didn't define who I was or what I would become.

I hope your generous gift and position of influence will lead to a day when one's sexuality is a non-issue, like someone's first name. It's part of what makes us who we are, but it doesn't define us. "Hello, my name is Rocco..." It starts with someone willing to introduce themselves, proudly and without fear of rejection.

Thanks again Tim! And, Happy Holidays to you and your family.
  • Reply 18 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmantle View Post

These articles on Tim Cook's personal life are of no interest to me and an intrusion in his privacy. Leave his personal life out of this insider forum. If you disagree, let us know what the point is of this type of article.

Who says it's an intrusion into his life?

Only closeted gays who think it's an intrusion into their (closeted) life.

Sorry.

• Reply 19 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by roccodelgreco View Post

My email to Tim Cook, CEO of Apple, for supporting the LGBT community.

Tim,

I just read about your gift to Project One America and I wanted to say thank you.

Every LGBT person has a story. I had a very difficult time during my junior high and high school years, being mocked and ridiculed each and every day about being gay. My best friend and I were both relentlessly bullied by some and simply ignored by others. I don't know which hurt more. It wasn't until my first few weeks at college when some new classmates, who didn't know of my high school reputation, asked me to lunch. I said to myself, "Someone actually wants me to eat lunch with them???" From that moment on, I knew that, even though I would still be judged by some for my sexuality, that it didn't define who I was or what I would become.

I hope your generous gift and position of influence will lead to a day when one's sexuality is a non-issue, like someone's first name. It's part of what makes us who we are, but it doesn't define us. "Hello, my name is Rocco..." It starts with someone willing to introduce themselves, proudly and without fear of rejection.

Thanks again Tim! And, Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Beautiful post.

And yay for Tim for being out and proud.

And yay for AppleInsider for publishing articles like this that highlight the problems GLBT people face around the world, and how Apple's leadership is personally taking an interest in making the world a better place.

• Reply 20 of 92
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Always the victim.