Apple CEO Tim Cook gives 'substantial' sum to gay rights initiative

Comments

• Reply 21 of 92
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    splif wrote: »

Always the victim.

Threatened by any form of social progress.
  • Reply 22 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I give a substantial amount to big breasted strippers yet I don't see anyone writing articles about me¡

You're a good man, many of those stripper are also single mothers, or college students working their way to better themselves so they can strip at high class joints.

As long as there is pay inequity between sexes, there will be a need for the giving generosity you represent. Now, go out there are enjoy the holiday season, and above all be merry and gay!

For me, I single-handedly support a nearby "Home for Unwed Mothers" where my generosity is enthusiastically repaid.... Seeing the happy faces of the infants reminds me of what I am personally doing for society. One should put oneself wholly into one's good works.

• Reply 23 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmantle View Post

These articles on Tim Cook's personal life are of no interest to me and an intrusion in his privacy. Leave his personal life out of this insider forum. If you disagree, let us know what the point is of this type of article.

I agree. What is it to us if Tim bends over backwards to support the gay cause?

• Reply 24 of 92
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Depends on the conservative cause.  Some conservative causes are reasonable, some are at the tip end of lunatic, divisive, hate-mongering. 

Tim is giving to cause promoting tolerance, respect and equal rights.  Anyone against that can get as red in the face as they want, but they're on the wrong end of the way things are heading.  

I don't buy that at all. I'm not talking about any anti-gay causes, but what if the cause was, let's say, anti-illegal immigration? That is a worthy and good cause to be contributing to, yet I bet that people would be attacked for supporting such a noble cause. You have certain CEOs, like that dufus from Facebook who is basically pro illegal immigration and is spending lots of money to fund his anti-American activities, yet he still has his job.

It's all in the eye of the beholder, and many of those people who claim to be tolerant, are some of the most intolerant hypocrite types around.

• Reply 25 of 92
    I wish Cook would spend some dough on fixing iOS, rather than wasting it on some useless, liberal frippery.

I guess he needs to keep the attention away from Apple's water treading.

MEMO TO COOK: FOLLOW YOUR HEART AND GO INTO POLITICS. DON'T MAKE APPLE SUFFER ON ACCOUNT OF YOUR CAUSE CÉLÈBRE.
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Tim Cook is obviously free to do whatever he pleases with his own money.

Having said that, I bet you that if Tim Cook were not gay, and if he was a conservative CEO contributing to a conservative cause using their own private money, then many of the same people that applaud Tim Cook's gay activism would be calling for his head and for his resignation. You know that's true, don't even attempt to deny that.:smokey:

Simple minds think small.
  • Reply 26 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Simple minds think small.

And even simpler minds hardly think at all.

• Reply 27 of 92
    crowley wrote: »
    Depends on the conservative cause.  Some conservative causes are reasonable, some are at the tip end of lunatic, divisive, hate-mongering. 

Tim is giving to cause promoting tolerance, respect and equal rights.  Anyone against that can get as red in the face as they want, but they're on the wrong end of the way things are heading.  

Don't obfuscate British Conservatism [Tory] with American Evangelical Conservatism. They are polar opposites. One has a long history with many liberal views American conservatives would crap the bed at.
  • Reply 28 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Don't obfuscate British Conservatism [Tory] with American Evangelical Conservatism. They are polar opposites. One has a long history with many liberal views American conservatives would crap the bed at.

The same could be said of liberals. Don't ever confuse American liberals with Australian liberals that make up the liberal party.

• Reply 29 of 92
    Cook gives some of his own money to promote equality and some people get upset. Why? Don't they want equality? Or does the idea that people are people and deserve to be treated with respect so alien to them that they have failed to leave the 18th century yet?
  • Reply 30 of 92
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Not sure if that's a joke that I'm too sleepy/simple to get, but I wasn't doing that. I'm aware of the difference.
  • Reply 31 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by singularity View Post

Don't they want equality?

That would depend on how certain people define equality. Equality is often used as a liberal code word to mean the opposite of equality, giving certain groups preferential treatment, and that is not equality at all.

• Reply 32 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Having said that, I bet you that if Tim Cook were not gay, and if he was a conservative CEO contributing to a conservative cause using their own private money, then many of the same people that applaud Tim Cook's gay activism would be calling for his head and for his resignation. You know that's true, don't even attempt to deny that.:smokey:

Spot on.

• Reply 33 of 92

So, I am so tired of these types of articles in this publication.  What he does with his money is his business and should be private. I don't have to know about it.  I long for the days of Steve Jobs where the company and ideas are more important than the individual.  

• Reply 34 of 92
    rfrmac wrote: »
    So, I am so tired of these types of articles in this publication.  What he does with his money is his business and should be private. I don't have to know about it.

Careful what you wish for. When they stop hounding the CEO of Apple it could mean that Apple is no longer relevant. Until that unfortunate fate occurs just don't read past the headline.
    II long for the days of Steve Jobs where the company and ideas are more important than the individual.  

What?! We had a lot more about Steve than about Cook. We heard about his biography non-stop. We had multiple article about his progress with trying to reduce a home to rubble so he could a new one. We heard about his yacht.
  • Reply 35 of 92

Heaven forbid someone should use their fame and money to publicize their support for a cause. What is the world coming to¿

• Reply 36 of 92
    As heterosexual great grandfather myself and also a creative artist, (a field which has a prepondence of gay people in it), I have always sought to defend the rights of my 'gay' friends, even when being gay was a criminal offence in my country, (the UK). Tim has done the right thing and gets my admiration and respect. There are always going to be prejudiced, narrow minded people - so what!
  • Reply 37 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I give a substantial amount to big breasted strippers yet I don't see anyone writing articles about me¡

If you want internet attention.  Do what I do.

I sponsor an animal at the local Humane Society and they put your name up with the picture of the animal.  I usually choose older animals or animals with a disability.

• Reply 38 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

If you are assuming that the conservative view is pro bigotry then I would agree with you.  

Enjoy your dry chicken sandwich with a pickle.

• Reply 39 of 92
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Careful what you wish for. When they stop hounding the CEO of Apple it could mean that Apple is no longer relevant. Until that unfortunate fate occurs just don't read past the headline.
    What?! We had a lot more about Steve than about Cook. We heard about his biography non-stop. We had multiple article about his progress with trying to reduce a home to rubble so he could a new one. We heard about his yacht.

And his parking spot . . . shirts by the lot . . . New Balances or not? . . . etc.
  • Reply 40 of 92

If you are assuming that the conservative view is pro bigotry then I would agree with you.  

Enjoy your dry chicken sandwich with a pickle.

Ha. A conservative CEO for Apple? Maybe when the Pope is Jewish, or when you find a bear using your toilet.