iMac Price Increase

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    PURE BULLSHIT! how does apple expect to contend with PC makers when the release a CONSUMER computer at 1900 F***ING dollars!
  • Reply 22 of 84
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    If Macintosh wasn't banned again, he'd probably be saying how it's no big deal. I'm talking to him on AIM and at first he was pissed and now he's saying there's nothing wrong with the increase.
  • Reply 23 of 84
    patchoulipatchouli Posts: 402member
    These new prices are insane. Only a $100 you may think, but don't forget that these prices were already too high. There is a difference between expensive and over-priced. The hardware in these funky little machines is dated. From the system bus, RAM, hard drive, graphics card - it's all second rate and slower than the now industry standard (mainstream). You can?t put low-end components in a middle range computer. What the hell is wrong with them? If Apple weren?t making profits on this dated hardware ? they they are getting f.ucked by the distributors they purchase parts from.
  • Reply 24 of 84
    [quote]Originally posted by RyanTheGreat:

<strong>PURE BULLSHIT! how does apple expect to contend with PC makers when the release a CONSUMER computer at 1900 F***ING dollars! </strong><hr></blockquote>

Obviously they didn't learn from the Cube.
  • Reply 24 of 84
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

you're posting this bullshit like you know everything for a fact. you know nothing.

if memory and LCD prices are on the rise so much the imac has to have its price increased on all models why didn't any of the portables? Makes no sense. especially considering the iBook probably has even small margins than the iMac</strong><hr></blockquote>

bingo.

hot logic injection.
  • Reply 26 of 84
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Sorry, but the price increase stuff is just total BULL!

RAM hasn't gone up so much (at least not the DIMMs used on the inside slot) LCD's haven't gone up so much either, or I wouldn't be able to select a half dozen different models, all available retail, between 500-650 Canadian! That's not just the same price as last year, that's about 50-150 CHEAPER!

They deserve to lose a whole lot of sales. Anybody who was thinking of buying an iMac before should, on principle, defer that purchase. If you're not a part of the mac community, don't even bother joining at this point. Computers, ALL COMPUTERS, get CHEAPER during their life. That is the rule. Something is seriously wrong with Apple if there wasn't enough margin (on a 2800 Canadian machine) to ride out a supposed price increase. Dell and others can do it on machines that cost half as much. What Apple has done shows nothing but CONTEMPT for its customers (and their long suffering loyalty)

[ 03-20-2002: Message edited by: Matsu ]</p>
  • Reply 27 of 84
    spindlerspindler Posts: 713member
    This price increase is really bad news. The new iMac is supposed to be Apple's flagship product and the one that brings in new customers. Visitors to the Apple retail stores are going to be a lot less likely to pay $1399 than $1299. $1299 is at the top of the range people want to pay.

In places like CompUSA, the new imac will sit there as an oddity just like the Cube did. A $1399 price tag is a turnoff and there will be no one around to promote it to customers. I was in my local CompUSA and saw the iMac for $1799. At that price it was clear it was just another Cube. A $100 price increase makes the new iMac a lot harder to sell to anyone besides the Mac faithful.
  • Reply 28 of 84
    I totally agree with you Matsu. Apple really ****ed up this time IMO.
  • Reply 29 of 84
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    Only at Apple.
  • Reply 30 of 84
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    RAM prices have increased slightly. LCD prices have gone up about $50 for a 15 inch. So what? Apple should have swallowed the margin hit and kept the prices the same. They still make more per machine than ANY other computer maker.

The really disgusting priving is on their G4 towers. The low end model should cost no more than $999. In fact, they should lower the price of the low end model into the consumer arena for those who don't care for the new iMac, like myself.

Jobs is a moron when it comes to business sense. As for the 17 in CRT iMac. That would have been a very smart move. Jobs needs a penis enlarger............
  • Reply 31 of 84
    Hey, folks do you really think Apple was selling the new iMacs at a loss? Think about it a little. Apple spent a ton of time getting this product out the door and I'm sure they had already signed a supplier deal for X dollars per panel before the actual launch. They had enough parts prices to price the iMac. At the very least, the first 200,000 or 300,000 or whatever volume Apple originally agreed to shouldn't be affected by ANY price increase. IMHO, I believe Apple (we all know it's really Jobs) wants to make up for the lost dollars this qtr by increasing the prices immediately. That's my take on it. At the very least Apple should've announced that the price increase will be effective next week, or 1st of April not today. Definitely a bad tactical move for Apple whom I've held with much praise in the past.
  • Reply 32 of 84
    [quote]Originally posted by DVD_Junkie:

<strong>Hey, folks do you really think Apple was selling the new iMacs at a loss? Think about it a little. Apple spent a ton of time getting this product out the door and I'm sure they had already signed a supplier deal for X dollars per panel before the actual launch. They had enough parts prices to price the iMac. At the very least, the first 200,000 or 300,000 or whatever volume Apple originally agreed to shouldn't be affected by ANY price increase. IMHO, I believe Apple (we all know it's really Jobs) wants to make up for the lost dollars this qtr by increasing the prices immediately. That's my take on it. At the very least Apple should've announced that the price increase will be effective next week, or 1st of April not today. Definitely a bad tactical move for Apple whom I've held with much praise in the past.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I wanna see proof that Apple was selling them at a loss. It's just very unlikely. Steve is just being greedy.
  • Reply 33 of 84
    This is very, very bad.

If there is one thing the general public knows about computer prices, and is very used to, it's that they go DOWN, and do it fairly quickly.

Is $100 a lot of money? Well, no. But a lot of people, including me, are likely to be pissed off at the concept of paying more for the same product when everyone is psychologically trained to expect prices to go down on any given product as time goes on. I, frankly, wouldn't be too pleased with a company that did that, and I'm a loyal Mac owner.
  • Reply 34 of 84
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    This is that new age cyber yuppy's way of getting back at us for the post-expo purchase patterns. "I'll teach you to hold out for post Expo price drops, and fvck-up my sales projections. From now on, price increases after every Keynote! We'll scare 'em into buying NOW! Nyarr!!!"
  • Reply 35 of 84
    I'll say it again. The biggest blunder Apple did tonight is to increase the iMac prices immediately! Had they said the price increase would be effective in X days, people wouldn't see this price increase as a pure money grab when the product is hot. I'm willing to accept that some component prices have to go up as they've been in the doghouse for too long. Think about the technology in a disk drive and the price you're paying for 80GB! Shit, it's cheaper to build 256MB of RAM than an 80GB drive yet the drive sells for less. Increasing prices will be taking place in many products in the future but you don't increase prices without a warning. Apple is handling this price increase like as if the iMac was a freaking commodity which given the price, they aren't selling it as one.
  • Reply 36 of 84
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Wow. I didn't even know MWTY was today. I thought it was tomorrow. I jumped on the net and was surprised to see the new Cinema Display. Any way, I saw the iMac price increase as well. Here are my thoughts.

First of all, how many of you posting here were actually going to buy one of these iMacs today (or relatively soon)? There seems to be a lot of doom and gloom again just because the price has gone up a little bit. I understand that this might sway some people's decisions on buying a computer, but $100 isn't that much more when buying a new machine any way. Heck, my machine cost me $3500, and while it was a big purchase, I even went further and bought the AppleCare warranty, because I felt that since I was already investing so much in to my machine, what was a few hundred more? I knew that my new Mac was going to last me for quite some time, and that I wouldn't have to shell out for a new machine in a year and a half.

While it's not good news that Apple is seemingly increasing the price on the machines because they can't sell them fast enough, are we really surprised that Apple is trying to make the same kind of profit they were projecting when they started selling the machine? I can't say whether or not Apple was selling these machines for a loss, but I was beginning to suspect that the 'low end' iMac wasn't shipping because they weren't going to make a lot of money off of it. Then again, RAM prices are going down again, so I'm not sure that Apple can use that to justify the price increase.

I still say that the new iMac is a good value for what you get. (Originally, it was a great value.) If people are going to go through there whole, "I'm going to get a Dell" speech again, go ahead and do it. It always seems that after the expos, the same people say the same thing, but then they wait for the next expo to see what will hopefully be their next Mac.

I know that even with my problems with Apple, my next computer will be another Mac. I have to live with my Dell running Windows at work, and have to fix my younger cousins Windows PCs when I visit them on the weekend. It's a relief to me to open up my PowerBook at home, and instantly be on my Airport network and on the internet.

I'm still convinced that the Mac is still the best machine out there. Plus, when it comes down to paying $100 more to buy the Mac, or investing thousands of dollars to get my software on a PC, it's no contest.

My PowerBook G3 is over two years old, and is still going strong. I don't see myself investing in a new computer for at least another year. When you buy one of these new iMacs, you also know that you won't have to buy a new machine the next year like you would have to with a PC. They're that much better.
  • Reply 37 of 84
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    [quote]And also, I'm sure there are people who won't spend the extra money. Stupid move by Stever.<hr></blockquote>

well no ****ing shit they won't spend the money.

demand will go down.

this is the only smart thing apple could do at this point. sheesh, haven't you ever taken an economics class?

demand is HIGH. supply is LOW! you have to either raise supply or lower demand. they haven't been able to increase supply, so they lower demand.

good god, you all bitch they can't supply enough, now they lower demand and you get pissy? what is wrong with you?

one way or another they have to have their supply somewhere near their demand. 5-7 weeks delayed shipping on a mac that's $100 cheaper is MUCH worse in my opinion than having a $100 more expensive model that ships in 4-5 business days.

let me ask you how many of you would have been ready and willing to pay $50 to get your iMac order in 4 days? i sure would have. how about $75? $100 isn't that big of a jump to get an iMac in a reasonable amount of time.

i would love to see the prices stay where they were, and to have the shipping times drop, but that's not going to happen.

and unlike the cube, the iMac sales are through the roof, then the price goes up. not the price is through the roof while there's no demand, and then apple tries to fix it months later.

this is a much, much better business model than selling your computers for a loss. (and btw, i believe that this is the case, they would be sued if they said they were selling them at a loss when they actually weren't)

good god, this is Apple, they need to make money to keep from going belly up.

edit:added a bit more.

[ 03-20-2002: Message edited by: alcimedes ]</p>
  • Reply 38 of 84
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    if apple didn't raise the price then they would probably not make a profit (probalby won't this quarter, and probably close for the next).

apple's already going to be in the red this quarter (most likely). they're just trying to plug the leaks as much as they can before they can actually make a profit.

price increases aren't good, but it appears they're needed. that's definately going to deter future sales (including from me), but they may have figured that they may sell less imacs, but the increase in price would offset the drop in sales.

i don't know. raising prices isn't good. it's not exactly "doom and gloom" as most of you see it, but still it isn't good.
  • Reply 39 of 84
    idudeidude Posts: 352member
    I don't see what the big deal is. People were raving about how at $1899 (or 1499/1299) the iMac was a better deal than any PC offered. So now, instead of having a cheaper machine, we have one that is the same price. As a share holder, I would think that profit on say 10 machines is better than losses on 100.
  • Reply 40 of 84
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    dumb.

I shudder to think what the press will make of this. They were doing so well with the columnists too...