Apple posts "the story behind the Song" featuring old and new music recording technology

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    bobschlob wrote: »
    Funny that Apple did this, as I was certainly having the thought while watching the commercial, that there would be tons of people asking "what the hell is that weird flat circular thing?".

I think they had those in the Stone Age. I think if you put the sharp end of a baby pterodactyl's beak in the grooves of the disk, it plays a sound recording.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    I think they had those in the Stone Age. I think if you put the sharp end of a baby pterodactyl's beak in the grooves of the disk, it plays a sound recording.

record_player.jpg
  • Reply 23 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

record_player.jpg

And that's how The Bird Is The Word was made. The rest is history.

• Reply 24 of 29
    We made one of these recording in the mid 1960s for my uncle who was fighting in Vietnam. We went into a booth and if I remember correctly the vinyl record was green.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClementineOrange View Post

Most record players have rca cables, but operate at a lower level. So you would need a some sort of box to covert the phono signal if you were to use a normal record player.

A little late here, but a phono-to-line level converter + RCA-to-1/8" adapter would allow you to hook it up to the line-in on most computers.  Of course, you're then at the mercy of the quality of whatever analog-to-digital converter your computer uses (plus any line noise from improper shielding), but that's the easiest/cheapest way if you don't have a USB turntable.

• Reply 26 of 29

I didn't realize the voice and the woman in the old photo was Rhiannon Giddens of the Carolina Chocolate Drops. Cool!

• Reply 27 of 29
    I think someone makes a USB phono pre-amp. That way you get an outboard analog to digital interface along with the gain boost and EQ filter in one package. I have a line-level turntable which has the preamp built in. I can use it with any usb interface.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    Why did they elect to pick a 1 in 12 or more demographic?

¿Que?