Apple bought back $56 billion worth of its own stock in 2014

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    bobschlob wrote: »

The more Apple buys back, the higher the value of the stock. At the same time; the less dividend payments Apple has to pay out to shareholders.
    Double-BOOM!

I have absolutely no idea what your post means.
  • Reply 42 of 55
    pfisher wrote: »

They could also lower prices and take smaller margins. Sell more product so they could have better share of market outside of "rich" countries, like the US and Japan. ....

...Apple's dilemma is getting too big.

Yeah, they could also make and sell PCs and low end Android phones. /s

Apple faces no 'dilemma'. They face a tax problem thanks to the stupid US tax policy for multinational corporations. It'll get worked out in due course.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

They could also lower prices and take smaller margins. Sell more product so they could have better share of market outside of "rich" countries, like the US and Japan.

That's a good strategy if Apple isn't hard-pressed to keep up with demand.  From everything I've heard and read, the main obstacle to Apple's sales growth comes from the supply side --they can't just make enough of them fast enough to satisfy demand.  

• Reply 44 of 55
    pfisher wrote: »
    They could also lower prices and take smaller margins. Sell more product so they could have better share of market outside of "rich" countries, like the US and Japan.

I hear that... but then I hear talk about Apple selling a record-setting 70 million iPhone this quarter.

So do they really need to sell "more" phones?
  • Reply 45 of 55
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

There's precedent for giving gifts to shareholders. Remember, a Shuffle costs like $12 to manufacture.

I'd like to see evidence of the supposed gift giving precedents you mention.

• Reply 46 of 55
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Yeah, they could also make and sell PCs and low end Android phones. /s

Apple faces no 'dilemma'. They face a tax problem thanks to the stupid US tax policy for multinational corporations. It'll get worked out in due course.

Yep - exactly.
    I rember a thread about a year or so ago discussing the U.S. tax repatrition laws, not the specific detail unfortunately. We need jragosta for that - rip
  • Reply 47 of 55
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Now buy back the rest and go back to being privately owned and off the stupid stock market.
  • Reply 48 of 55

Let's say Apple want to buy every remaining stock, and everybody agrees on selling it at the current price. How much would they have to spend? Give or take a few billions :)

• Reply 49 of 55
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    yazolight wrote: »
    Let's say Apple want to buy every remaining stock, and everybody agrees on selling it at the current price. How much would they have to spend? Give or take a few billions :)
    The market cap? $655.57 billion, as of right now.

But they wouldn't be allowed to do that.
  • Reply 50 of 55

655.57 billions, does it include the shares owned by Apple itself?

• Reply 51 of 55
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Yes, it's all the shares outstanding. But Apple will own a trivial number, the majority that they've bought back will have either been retired or given to employees as bonuses, so they don't own them any more. They'll only own those that they are temporarily holding for future award to employees.
  • Reply 52 of 55
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Best fucking use of $56 billion in history. Almost doubled in value. 

• Reply 53 of 55
    I have absolutely no idea what your post means.

The less shares on the market, the more value the existing shares have. When a company issues more stock, the existing shares lose value. Apple does the opposite.

Regarding the dividend, Apple pays it quarterly per share. Each share they retire is a share they don't have to pay a quarterly dividend to the owner of.
  • Reply 54 of 55
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    Apple watch will make more money than Tesla... These calls to buy Tesla are simply silly nonsense by amateurs who know nothing about cognitive neuroscience and the addictive nature of the touch sensation (not only in sexuality).

Like I said in another post, people VASTLY underestimate how popular haptic communication in apple watch is going to be. The folks at Apple already know how addictive this is going to be... Which is why they dedicated an entire button on the watch to choosing people to message.

Tesla... Right.
  • Reply 55 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Don't worry, I've already seen reports of how this is a bad thing. Analysts say this is evidence Apple has no idea what to invest in for future innovations.

You are right. They could buy Tesla or some other big company. Not sure how that would help, too much, although it would help in a way: Apple could spend billions on battery technology.

Apple has yet  to figure out how to make the Apple TV box more than a (ignored) hobby. IMO, best that they focus on things that they should know (yet haven't mastered) before they delve into areas that they know NOTHING about. Buying Starbucks would make as much sense as buying Tesla, in that respect. But on battery technology, I fully agree with you. If Apple could develop a major battery innovation that they could make exclusive to their devices, I think that would be the biggest game changer imaginable. An iPhone with say a week of battery life vs. a GoogleDroid thingy with a day of batter life... who you gonna call?! Google Busters! :D

In the mean time, I'll happily take my quarterly div. checks. That way, I have a real and immediate gain. A rise in the share price means nothing unless I decide to sell shares.