Steve Wozniak moving to Australia. Hopes to become Australian

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2014

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned in the news or discussion forums.

It's been reported that Steve Wozniak has plans to move to Australia soon and has even applied for Australian citizenship.  He was recently granted permanent residency for his family and got a job at the University of Technology in Sydney.

He says his ideal place to retire is Tasmania, something I can understand completely.

Steve says: "I want to be a distinguished part of this country and some day I may say I lived and died an Australian, and that would be a really nice thing to be able to say. No country is perfect, but I like a lot of things about this place."

"I have now got a visa for dis­tinguished people – or something like that – it took a long time and cost some money, but we have done it for our entire family, so we can all reside here,"

See the article in the Sydney Morning Herald here: "I have now got a visa for dis­tinguished people – or something like that – it took a long time and cost some money, but we have done it for our entire family, so we can all reside here,"

As an Australian I say Welcome Steve!  Glad to have you!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Tina Turner moved to Switzerland... James Cameron became a citizen of New Zealand...

What are the tax advantages of Woz becoming an Aussie?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    A bit cynical to say he'd do it for money. Woz seems like the last person in the world to care about money.

He's an engineer first and foremost. I think that's his true passion.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    s.metcalf wrote: »
    A bit cynical to say he'd do it for money. Woz seems like the last person in the world to care about money.

He's an engineer first and foremost. I think that's his true passion.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australian_inventions
  • Reply 4 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,434moderator
    The article says he has a son who is married and living in Sydney. This move will mean they can be closer. He plans to spend most of his time in the near future in California because of public speaking but will settle in Australia closer to retirement. He likes the fact he can get Apple products sooner down there when they launch.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Marvin wrote: »
    The article says he has a son who is married and living in Sydney. This move will mean they can be closer. He plans to spend most of his time in the near future in California because of public speaking but will settle in Australia closer to retirement. He likes the fact he can get Apple products sooner down there when they launch.

I'd buy the reason of wanting to move closer to his son. Parents tend to want that more and more as they age.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,434moderator
    I'd buy the reason of wanting to move closer to his son. Parents tend to want that more and more as they age.

And the kids want the opposite, which might explain why they're in Australia in the first place. ;)
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What are the tax advantages of Woz becoming an Aussie?

Absolutely none!

Maybe The Woz has other reasons?

Maybe because it is a country where that wouldn't be the first thought that entered your head.