Apple Pay launching at Walt Disney World on Christmas Eve, Disneyland in 2015

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2014
The Walt Disney Company's expansive Orlando theme park empire will reportedly begin accepting Apple's fast-growing mobile payments system this week, while Disneyland Resort in California is expected to follow suit next year.

The rollout will begin with Walt Disney World stores, restaurants, bars, and ticket booths that have stationary payment terminals, according to WDWMagic. Areas where staff use portable terminals to accept payments will follow, though the timetable remains unknown.

Walt Disney World is the most popular vacation destination in the world, drawing more than 50 million visitors each year. The much smaller Disneyland Resort in California is in second place with over 20 million people passing through its gates annually.

Disney's theme parks --?including those in Paris, Hong Kong, and Tokyo --?generated $14.1 billion in revenue for the company in 2013. Combined with the sheer volume of transactions that the parks process on a yearly basis, they could quickly become one of Apple Pay's top merchants.

The parks, along with Disney's retail stores, were announced as part of the first round of Apple Pay partners in September.

Apple and Disney have a long history of close collaboration, beginning with a film distribution agreement for Toy Story --?created by late Apple CEO Steve Jobs's Pixar studio --?in 1995. Disney then bought Pixar for $7.4 billion in 2006, granting Jobs 138 million shares of Disney stock, or 7.5 percent of the company, in the process.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    If they get this set up for both purchases and your pass, even perhaps those ride Faat Pass systems, it could be a huge win
  • Reply 2 of 55
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

Xmas Eve?

That is a bit distasteful.

You ought to be sharing a self prepared warm meal with your loved ones, not waving iPhones :no: Actually, the iPhone disappears in a drawer.

I guess it must be a culture thing. Most of the people in Europe - 90%, Piper would say - are celebrating xmas eve with their family/loved ones at home.

• Reply 3 of 55
    mr o wrote: »

Xmas Eve?

You ought to be sharing a self prepared warm meal with your loved ones, not waving iPhones :no:  Actually, the iPhone disappears in a drawer.

I guess it must be a culture thing. Most of the people in Europe - 90%, Piper would say - are celebrating xmas eve with their family/loved ones at home.

1) What the hell are you on about? Going to theme parks with the family for a holiday is very popular. Sometimes those national holidays days off are the only days off you can have with your family so why not take the kids someplace they've always wanted to go.

2) As for being with loved ones, nothing says together like a long car ride, long tram line, long tram ride, long ticket line, and then long lines waiting for every ride or show you want to see in the park.

3) Some celebrate on Christmas morning, others in the evening, others days before or after due to various reasons, while others may need to radically change their tradition because of a major loss in the family, and others simply don't celebrate Christmas.

4) So where exactly is the distaste in adding ?Pay?
  • Reply 4 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

1) What the hell are you on about? Going to theme parks with the family for a holiday is very popular. Sometimes those national holidays days off are the only days off you can have with your family so why not take the kids someplace they've always wanted to go.

2) As for being with loved ones, nothing saying together like a long car ride, long tram line, long tram ride, long ticket line, and then long lines waiting for every ride or show you want to see in the park.

3) Some celebrate on Christmas morning, others in the evening, others days before or after due to various reasons, while others may need to radically change their tradition because of a major loss in the family, and others simply don't celebrate Christmas.

Beat me to it.

- Here in Canada The World Juniors are on, and they are always held over Christmas with the actual tournament starting on Boxing Day and exhibition games in the days leading up to it.

- Where I live it's common for many Chinese restaurants to be open on Christmas Day, and they are packed. Over the years our entire family has gone out for Dim Sum on Christmas Day. People can get sick of turkey over and over.

- Movie theatres are packed on Christmas Day and you often see major releases done either on Christmas Day or Eve.

- I don't know if Disneyland actually opens on Christmas Day, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they did and were very busy.

Who's to decide what people should and should not do over Christmas?

• Reply 5 of 55

No real surprise here, given the close connection between Disney and Apple.

• Reply 6 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Xmas Eve?

You ought to be sharing a self prepared warm meal with your loved ones, not waving iPhones :no: Actually, the iPhone disappears in a drawer.

Please don't post your crap ever again.  Merry Christmas.

• Reply 7 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

2) As for being with loved ones, nothing saying together like a long car ride, long tram line, long tram ride, long ticket line, and then long lines waiting for every ride or show you want to see in the park.

Make no mistake, ? Pay is an amazing invention that is going to change the world yet again in 2015.

Only, I do not see a connection between Xmas eve and introducing a revolutionary paying service? I find it cruel that people are working that evening, to be at the (paid) service of others.

One Hundred years ago, in Flanders fields, soldiers REFUSED to fight that night. Instead English and German soldiers were celebrating Christmas eve together in the dreadful trenches. Two days later they were fighting each other again. True story.

One Hundred years later, Apple is introducing ? pay in a Disney theme park ... it is a very unfortunate coincidence.

- - - - -

Fair point on your third bullet. A major loss in the family makes you go through the pain on xmas eve again. One of my friends is organising a shared xmas eve dinner for the lonely people out there. This is what xmas eve is all about: sharing genuine human moments. Like in Apple's holiday season ad.

• Reply 8 of 55
    Quote:

Xmas Eve?

1. It is TOTALLY TASTEFUL. It signifies that Apply Pay is a GIFT TO THE WORLD!  It eliminates the evil of credit card fraud which costs us billions each year.

2. Disneyland IS where families share warm meals and time with their loved ones.  And now, one can wave one's beloved iPhone TOO.

3. Sure it is a cultural thing.  But it is also a money thing.  Half of the visitors to Disneyland are EUROPEANS who can afford the $100 per person entrance fee to Disneyland and the expensie to travel to Disneyland. The remaining Europeans in the world and many locals don't have the money to go.

• Reply 9 of 55
    Only, I do not see a connection between Xmas eve and introducing a revolutionary paying service? I find it cruel that people are working that evening, to be at the (paid) service of others.

These businesses have people working every day of the year. Those working Christmas Eve may have Christmas Day off, or vice versa. Or agree to additional pay and have their Christmas a day or two earlier/later. Or simply don't celebrate Christmas at all.

You simply can't make a judgement about savage corporate policy without knowing the facts, especially the clear fact that families — regardless as how barbaric you want to make them out to be — do go to theme parks with their families on major holidays.

I think it's a wonderful, and have very fond memories of being on a family cruise for Christmas, a ski vacation with extended family for Christmas at a resort, as being at a Walt Disney World resort over a Halloween weekend. I don't feel like I missed out on anything, but rather gained new points of view to the banal traditions immortalized in Norman Rockwell paintings.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

1. It is TOTALLY TASTEFUL. It signifies that Apply Pay is a GIFT TO THE WORLD!  It eliminates the evil of credit card fraud which costs us billions each year.

2. Disneyland IS where families share warm meals and time with their loved ones.  And now, one can wave one's beloved iPhone TOO.

3. Sure it is a cultural thing.  But it is also a money thing.  Half of the visitors to Disneyland are EUROPEANS who can afford the $100 per person entrance fee to Disneyland and the expensie to travel to Disneyland. The remaining Europeans in the world and many locals don't have the money to go.

So, I guess Joseph and Maria - both poor and illegal human beings - wouldn't be allowed to celebrate with Mickey mouse?

Geez, I am not even a religious person, but the xmas story is a universal one: It is about sharing from the heart. That is true magic. It doesn't come with a 100$ entrance fee. Yes, it is naive. But can't we keep the magic just for one night?

Merry Xmas to you all.

• Reply 11 of 55
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member

Well not everyone celebrates Christmas!!!!  Besides spending time with the family at Disney Land seems like a great idea.  These days it can be hard for some people to get time off any other time of the year.   I don't see anything wrong with this at all.  Maybe they have no other family?  Maybe they were with other family members the day before?  

• Reply 12 of 55

So, I guess Joseph and Maria - both poor and illegal human beings - wouldn't be allowed to celebrate with Mickey mouse?

Geez, I am not even a religious person, but the xmas story is a universal one: It is about sharing from the heart. That is true magic. It doesn't come with a 100$ entrance fee. Yes, it is naive. But can't we keep the magic just for one night?

Merry Xmas to you all.

IS YOUR ARGUMENT REALLY BASED ON TAKING A DAY OLD BABY TO A THEME PARK???!!!!
  • Reply 13 of 55
    Quote:

You mean, take away one of the major tenants of the birth narrative... the humble setting?  Your argument makes no sense.

(Or... maybe they could have a coupon day.)

• Reply 14 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

BS. sharing from the heart?  More like forced to buy gifts or else you will be an outcast.

Real sharing from the heart happens when you buy a gift for your wife/kids on a random day 

Agree 100%

• Reply 15 of 55
    Funny thing is that no one hear seems to know that the Busiestday for the Walt Disney Resort for parks, hotels etc is Christmas Eve. As families travel there to celebreate the holidays Together.

In a way its the best Christmas gift for apple users. It will help cutdown trasaction times and allow more special memories for families celebrating christmas.
  • Reply 16 of 55
    Quote:

Make no mistake, ? Pay is an amazing invention that is going to change the world yet again in 2015.

One Hundred years ago, in Flanders fields, soldiers REFUSED to fight that night. Instead English and German soldiers were celebrating Christmas eve together in the dreadful trenches. Two days later they were fighting each other again. True story.

One Hundred years later, Apple is introducing ? pay in a Disney theme park ... it is a very unfortunate coincidence.

- - - - -

Fair point on your third bullet. A major loss in the family makes you go through the pain on xmas eve again. One of my friends is organising a shared xmas eve dinner for the lonely people out there. This is what xmas eve is all about: sharing genuine human moments. Like in Apple's holiday season ad.

These forums share great thoughts until people like YOU start to babble non sense and do not bring any value.  Stop posting your crap.  Merry Christmas.

• Reply 17 of 55

Christmas Eve, 1914

— THE END —

• Reply 18 of 55
    Quote:

Christmas Eve, 2014

— THE END —

Great.  Now wipe your A$$

• Reply 19 of 55
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Quote:

Xmas Eve?

Not everyone is Christian.

Your lack of a global worldview that recognizes multiple religious beliefs and holy days is a bit distasteful, too.

Happy Hanukkah! :p

• Reply 20 of 55
    [SIZE=9px]— THE END —[/SIZE]

Are you suggesting there should be a two day truce on Call of Duty?¡