Rumor: Apple's 12" MacBook Air with Retina display to enter production in Q1 2015

Comments

• Reply 21 of 125
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Stupidest fucking idea I've ever heard. "Archaic design principles"? The current Macbook Air is insanely thin and can get 13hrs of battery life on a single charge, best in the industry. The iPhone6/6+ (especially 6+) get excellent battery life. Your comment doesnt contain a shred of fact or real reasoning, and your comparison to the razr is just mind-numbingly superficial. The thinness and efficiency of Apple products is a core part of their design, and the design is a core part of their success. And yes, this also has PRACTICAL advantages.  One of the reasons I adore my Macbook Air, besides the fact that its an incredible work machine, is the thinness/lightness which makes me not think twice when I want to take it anywhere. Thank God they don't think like you, and instead of lazily creating an "EL" version, they packed incredible battery life in the thin model. The new macbook will also have excellent battery life- while also being incredibly designed. 

You're one of these people who are absolutely clueless as to the reasons of Apple's success. The sexiness of their products is what attracts new customers, and I have a feeling that if their looked like trucks, in order to appease unappeasable people like you, this would be less so. 

Hahaha. 

I laughed pretty hard, but you're so right.

• Reply 22 of 125
    I wouldn't be very surprised if new 12" iPad Pro and new 12" retina MacBook Air was one and the same device. It makes perfect sense. A9X iPad Air for iOS with Smart Keyboard Cover with extended battery and Intel 14 nm hardware for OS X.
  • Reply 23 of 125
    iwans wrote: »
    I wouldn't be very surprised if new 12" iPad Pro and new 12" retina MacBook Air was one and the same device. It makes perfect sense. A9X iPad Air for iOS with Smart Keyboard Cover with extended battery and Intel 14 nm hardware for OS X.

Yep that's just what I'm hoping. Take my money, please!
  • Reply 24 of 125
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    What does yield rate have to do with solid and reliable? They could be talking about Intels 14 nm Chips or other hardware. Or they could be talking about any number of other components. Especially in Apples case with the LCD screen, yields are traditionally low here.

I wasn't correlating the two. The poster mentioned both in their post. They seemed to be correlating low yield rate with the design goal of thin and light. Same with solid and reliable. I wasn't aware that MBAs had low yield rates or that they weren't solid and reliable.
  • Reply 25 of 125
    appexappex Posts: 687member

Apple should make a true Mac tablet.

• Reply 26 of 125
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    iwans wrote: »

So basically Apple ripping off the Surface Pro 3. I thought Apple was against converged devices. Or at least that's what Tim Cook has said in the past.
  • Reply 27 of 125
    gtbuzzgtbuzz Posts: 129member

A MBA running OS X and a virtual iOS ?  Why not ?

• Reply 28 of 125
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    I have a 13" macbook with retina and a 5k retina.

We need another laptop in the family, this one makes sense for me if the battery life is dramatically higher with the new processor.
  • Reply 29 of 125
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTBuzz View Post

A MBA running OS X and a virtual iOS ?  Why not ?

Because it's not an elegant solution.  I'm sure there are lots of people like me (who use both an MacBook and an iPad) and my wife (who just uses an iPad--except when she has to log into the crappy school portal what doesn't work properly on iOS Safari).  I have zero interest in running iOS apps on my MacBook nor do I want Mac apps running poorly on an iOS device.  Two OSes on on device is not the Apple way (and yes I know that Macs can boot as Windows boxes, but that's simply a strategy to deal with people scared about migrating away from Windows).

• Reply 30 of 125
    Originally Posted by GTBuzz View Post

Just suppose for a moment it runs OS X and iOS ?

Maybe even a removable touch screen.

Then Apple will have succeeded in making it a bigger pile of garbage than a regular 12” laptop would have been.

• Reply 31 of 125
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Can someone please remind me why Apple decides to produce a 12" MBA, when they have a 11" and 13" MBA. How would the 12" fit into their product line?

Well, my hope has always been that they will fit a 12" screen into the existing 11" model's footprint. (They could then stop producing the old 11")

If Apple did this, I would buy seven of them and have the days of the week engraved on each of them, just like girlies underwear.

• Reply 32 of 125
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Can someone please remind me why Apple decides to produce a 12" MBA, when they have a 11" and 13" MBA. How would the 12" fit into their product line?

There's a rumour that the 12inch MBA is to replace the 11inch and 13inch MBA, which makes sense.

A 12inch iPad could take the vacant spot of the 11inch macbook air.

• Reply 33 of 125
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Quote: "... along with a new chassis that's expected to be thinner and lighter than ever."

I remember when this obsession among designers started.

I do think it is time that Apple design team abandoned a fad that, were it a child, would be entering middle school. If they need artistic jargon to justify that, how about, "Solid is the new thin."

So by your rationale, the thick, twin-wing Wright Flyer biplane must be a superior aircraft to the thin single-wing F-16 Fighting Falcon monoplane.

• Reply 34 of 125
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

A 12" Retina MBA that replaces the current MBAs makes a lot of sense to me.

I agree.

12" retina / non - retina versions look a lot cleaner than 11", 13", 13" (or 12") retina and probably brings down manufacture costs. 

• Reply 35 of 125
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I tend to agree with applesway, in that the 12" retina model would likely replace both current MacBook Air models. Also next year probably, Apple's 21.5" iMac's will also be upgraded to retina level. Thus making all of Apple's Mac range (with the exception of the screen-less Mini) retina. To go with their retina iPhones and retina iPads...and I suppose retina-res Apple Watch.
  • Reply 36 of 125
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Apple would do well to expand their product range when it comes to laptops. This 12" machine could be a another brand that comes in under the market position of the MBA's. This way they can continue to improve the MBA with the same power profile chips leading to much higher performance MBA.

Contrary to popular belief in this forum MBA could use all the performance gains Broadwell can offer. So I really think Apple should stuff a 15 watt Broadwell chip in the current Air chassis along with a retina screen. This would be a fantastic Improvement to the platform.
    1983 wrote: »
    I tend to agree with applesway, in that the 12" retina model would likely replace both current MacBook Air models. Also next year probably, Apple's 21.5" iMac's will also be upgraded to retina level. Thus making all of Apple's Mac range (with the exception of the screen-less Mini) retina. To go with their retina iPhones and retina iPads...and I suppose retina-res Apple Watch.
  • Reply 37 of 125
    Then Apple will have succeeded in making it a bigger pile of garbage than a regular 12” laptop would have been.

Why do you say that? :???: I mean, nobody is talking about one processor running both. iOS would stay on ARM in the display, which is simply an iPad. OS X would be on the new Intel chip inside the keyboard/trackpad unit, just like in any Macbook. Yes both keyboard and display would probably have to have their own battery, but the total weight of the two would not likely exceed that of the current MBP, given the greater efficiencies that will be realized in this iteration. And the weight of all the chips inside any iOS device these days is negligeable in comparison to the rest of the unit, wouldn't make a significant difference in the Air side of things. Both would also need their own Flash drives; not a problem. Current iPad Air 2 can be configured up to 128 GB, same as entry level 13.3" MBP Retina. None of this storage would be wasted either, as each side of the device would be able to see/send to the other. Really, I can't see any down side. And the consumer would benefit, in having a superb display on both setups. What's not to like?

In a sense, this is already happening. As posted here over the weekend, Duet allows any current Mac to boot to an iPad as either secondary or primary display. My old Mac just died, so think I'll just get a new Mac Mini and set it up with my "New iPad." Will save me some bucks over the purchase of even the cheapest Macbook Air, and I'll have a much better display. For $799 I can configure a Mini to the same specs as the entry level MBP, just hook up my faithful old MacAlly trackball and pair with my new Logitech K811 illuminated keyboard and I'm off to the races. Okay, Duet is still in Beta so it might be turtle races. :p

width1000
    500/height/1000
  • Reply 38 of 125
    Originally Posted by andyapple View Post

I mean, nobody is talking about one processor running both. 

My concern is with neither usability, compatibility, nor portability.

It’s with the point of the thing. A laptop has no reason to be touchscreen, as its UX is designed explicitly otherwise. A tablet has no reason to have a laptop form factor, as its UX is designed explicitly otherwise. The product is DBA.

Tablets are tablets. Laptops are laptops. The latter is dying a slow death.

• Reply 39 of 125
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I disagree. Lots of laptops are still sold. Tablet sales are slowing because everyone has one already. Both have their uses, neither will go away.

• Reply 40 of 125
    My concern is with neither usability, compatibility, nor portability.

It’s with the point of the thing. A laptop has no reason to be touchscreen, as its UX is designed explicitly otherwise. A tablet has no reason to have a laptop form factor, as its UX is designed explicitly otherwise. The product is DBA.

Oh I wouldn't expect the iPad to work as a touch display for OS X, that is what the keyboard and trackpad would be for. Nor would the iPad part necessarily utilize the keyboard, it would be detachable just as it is now from the smart cover. Simply put, the two halves in conjunction would operate exactly like a MB, and the display alone would just be an iPad.

Being able to employ just one single display for two different uses would save the consumer. I mean, what is the point in one person owning both a 13" tablet and 13" laptop, if the same objective can be accomplished with just the tablet and add-on keyboard?

Incidentally, I'm typing this on my Logitech right now and it sure beats my iPad's virtual keyboard, which runs like a dog on AI. Love SwiftKey and Swype Keyboard but they both still need some work on iOS.