iMac Price Increase

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 84
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by PBG4 Dude:

<strong>The problem with the iMac price increase is the LCD glass shortage is a temporary setback. A large LCD glass manufacturer has been shut down because of a boron spill. This manufacturer plans to start producing again by the end of March / beginning of April. So LCD supply increases and the price of glass will fall again.</strong><hr></blockquote>

But Steve won't drop the price of the iMac, so it doesn't matter.
  • Reply 82 of 84
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I don't have a link handy, but I've read in several threads at Ars that Dell has raised their LCD prices...
  • Reply 83 of 84
    patchoulipatchouli Posts: 402member
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>I don't have a link handy, but I've read in several threads at Ars that Dell has raised their LCD prices...</strong><hr></blockquote>No, they are at the same prices for quite some time now. As I posted earlier, A 15" LCD Dell display (powered by Philips) is still $499 and a 17" LCD Dell display (powered by SamSung) is still $799 (they usually run promos with either free shipping or 10-15% off for some customers). The 15" model was just recently back-ordered, but is now in stock. There seems to be a hug demand for 15" LCD displays (industry wide) which is probably why the new iMacs were at a slow-down (in terms of production).

Like I said earlier, if Apple's suppliers are screwing them, then I guess Apple has no choice but to pass the cost down to the consumer. Well, that's a shame for both Apple and us. I guess Dell orders more and can tell the distributer to go f.uck off if they raise their price. If this is the case, Apple needs a better relationship with their component distributers. Like I said 10 times, it's not about the $$$ increase, it's the fact that the increase is on a system with already dated and low-end components for a middle-range price.

Oh well!
  • Reply 84 of 84
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    You know reading all these posts about scenarios and prices among various pc builders made me realize one thing. Apple may be "innovative" by offering only LCD's for sale but in a way it makes it very hard to negotiate for LCD pricing when there is the knowledge that you HAVE to buy only LCD's.

Example: (Mike Dell on phone)

So, you don't want to give me the same price on LCD components, that is fine, I see a nice CRT promo in my future running from now until your factory is a smoldering pile of ruins.

Example: (Steve on the phone)

So you don't want to give me the same price on LCD components, fine....guys raise the price of the iMac a $100.

Nah, I'm just an Apple apologist. If that were true the Powerbook, iBook prices would go up and the monitor promo's would end early.

Nick