Apple's Tim Cook named CEO of the year by CNN

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2014
For successfully navigating what it called "arguably the toughest CEO job in America," CNN on Tuesday named Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook its 2014 CEO of the year.

Cook took first place in the CNNMoney rankings, saying the CEO did an "amazing job" at Apple in 2014. In particular, it noted that AAPL stock is up 40 percent this year, and reached new all-time high levels.

"He's had to convince skeptics that Apple can still innovate after the death of Steve Jobs," the ranking declared. "He's proven all the naysayers wrong."

Also noted in the list was the highly successful debuts of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, as well as Apple Pay. It also made mention of "excitement" for the launch of the Apple Watch in early 2015.

Other CEOs on the list who came up short to Cook include BlackBerry's John Chen, Meg Whitman of Hewlett-Packard, and Sally Smith of Buffalo Wild Wings.

A number of other tech CEOs also made the "best of" list, but strangely were panned for their shortcomings. For example, CNNMoney slammed Microsoft's Satya Nadella for his "tone deaf comment about women," said that Yahoo's Marissa Mayer "may not deserve all the credit" for her company's success in 2014, and noted shares of T-Mobile are down 25 percent this year under the leadership of John Legere.

Cook was also named "Person of the Year" by the Financial Times, which praised him for introducing new buzzworthy product categories and putting morals over profits. Apple's CEO was also a runner-up for Time's own "Person of the Year" award, which was ultimately awarded to "the Ebola fighters."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Congrats Tim ... I'm sure you will sleep better tonight now ... ;)
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Very well-deserved honor. Tim had to not only hold the ship together, but steer the ship to new heights, while trying to obviate "the law of large numbers." It wasn't easy to navigate through the sea of pundits skeptical that any mortal could successfully follow Steve Jobs, who, along with Warren Buffett and Bill Gates, are the most famous business leaders for the past 60 years. Living under SJ's shadow was probably about like being Barack Obama's brother. Like Tim says, it takes crocodile skin.
  • Reply 3 of 23

TC is the man! Well deserved award.

• Reply 4 of 23
    Kudos, Tim, well deserved! That CNN is a 24/7 TV commercial interrupted by the occasional stale news snippet is entirely besides the point.
  • Reply 5 of 23

Uh oh,  don't tell Rogifan or Benjamin Frost.  They're going to wonder how Tim could be named CEO of the year while he paraded his gayness all over the world, and didn't improve the iPad.

• Reply 6 of 23

Tim, I hope from time to time you peak over here on the rumor sites. This would be a good thread to read the comments on. I applaud everything you have done, and the team you have to create magic within the hands of every human on this planet. While most of the threads can be real depressing with ungrateful individuals who are either class act "know-it-alls", or think they are "certified" to pick apart the hard work Apple progressively blesses us with, hopefully we can all agree on one thing for this topic... This was well deserved. I can't wait to see what's next.

• Reply 7 of 23
    CNN are just a bunch of liberal Apple fanboys¡ You'll never see FOX News calling Tim Cook CEO of the year¡
  • Reply 8 of 23
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

As well as avoiding a fight in the high-end phone market, Samsung management should not challenge him to a bout of arm-wrestling.

• Reply 9 of 23
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,286member
    seriously Meg Whitman was in the running...
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Somehow, I don't see the BBC naming Tim Cook CEO of the year any time soon, in light of the Panorama exposé.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Will Mr. Cook refuse the award from such a prestigious institution? The only way less people would know about this is if it was announced on MSNBC.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

CNN is a pretty crap channel, but nonetheless, good for Tim Cook!

• Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

CNN are just a bunch of liberal Apple fanboys¡ You'll never see FOX News calling Tim Cook CEO of the year¡

Although, I doubt that Limbaugh would have trouble calling him CEO of the Year.... (Note: no ¡)

(Aargh... had to edit post -- the original had too many negatives that got me confused.:embarrass)

• Reply 14 of 23

With the exception of Cook, that's a rather mediocre shortlist. Whitman is pretty much killing off whatever's not yet dead at HP; Chen is presiding over a carcass that's starting to smell; Buffalo Wings..... well... just smell.

• Reply 15 of 23
    Very well-deserved.

Apple culture (and the culture Apple brings to their products) has flourished under Tim's leadership.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    The head of Blackberry was in the running??

:\
  • Reply 17 of 23
    I love how they placed Marissa Mayer high on the list, but were incessantly negative throughout her page.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Somehow, I don't see the BBC naming Tim Cook CEO of the year any time soon, in light of the Panorama exposé.
    Panorama is a documentary strand within the BBC. The fact that they exposed a problem in Apple's dealings with its overseas contractors does not need to affect what the rest of the BBC does or think.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    paxman wrote: »
    Panorama is a documentary strand within the BBC. The fact that they exposed a problem in Apple's dealings with its overseas contractors does not need to affect what the rest of the BBC does or think.

Apart that Tim Cook explicitly saying that he is 'deeply offended' at the BBC makes that unlikely.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Seriously who else could it be?  Apple is driving the entire US economy

But who cares what CNN picks for this anyway (the home of Anderson Cooper and Kathy Giffin? seriously?)- the Wall Street Journal  or Forbes would be the only source of note.